Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

torque converter install

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
torque converter install

Bought a 92 4runner that the owner replaced the engine with the converter pre-bolted to the flex plate then pulled it in with the case bolts and the yoke was not aligned. The engine would not turn, but I was able to get it turned from the crank pulley and after a quarter turn the engine moves freely.
My question is how strong is the trans oil pump and what are the chances that it broke. Also how critical is it that the marks are aligned on the converter and the flex plate.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:23 PM

Upon further investigation I believe the guy who put this together may have the front and rear flex plate spacers reversed. The bolts on the torque converter are hitting the oil pan flange and the starter gear is rubbing on the gear ring.
Could this be a possibility? would this be the symptoms of the spacers being reversed?
Know matter what I belive I will at very least have to pull either the engine or the transmission. I just have to figure which is easier.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:01 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If he didn't install the converter first, he broke the pump. Those things have to seat before being coupled. And it has to be "double seated" meaning it pops down twice so it engages the splines of the transmission AND the notches in the pump.

The flex plate spacers being reversed is bad, but not bad enough to case it to be locked up. I'm willing to bet you will need a new pump/transmission.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:48 AM

I am going to pull the engine this week to see what the problem is. I had it spinning ok, but when I put the starter in the bendix gear was hitting the ring gear and locking the engine again. At this point I am wondering if there is a spacer at all. Clearance between the torque converter bolts and the oil pan is around 1/64th an inch which seems to close to me and the bendix has to have room to move to engage the teeth.
Is there a way to check the pump without dismantling the pump?
Old 03-21-2015, 02:00 PM

Pulled engine, seems the previous owner bent the flexplate and broke the tranny pump, will have to replace. also checked his so called rebuilt engine and found he took it apart, cleaned and painted parts then put it all back together finger tight and with the rod caps all in the wrong direction and order seizing the engine, also # 6 rod journal was spun and no new parts or machine work. The guy is a crook! I ave inflicted some payback on him for his lack of honesty. being a cheat has it repercussions!