Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Timing Troubleshooting - LOST !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Timing Troubleshooting - LOST !!!!

OK heres the info:

1986 22re 4 runner
New engine

And here is the problem:

1) No timing adjustment.........No change when the Jumper is on although it does trigger the check engine light.
2) So I check and adjust the TPS - OK
3) So I check the AFM - OK
4) So I check the EFI relay - OK
5) So I check the Control relay - OK
6) I had to jump the Fuel pump jumper to get power to the fuel pump.
7) The truck starts and runs, I just cant get the darn thing to time correctly.......

I will be doing some more tests tonight (ECU power), just looking for some info / advice.

Thx, D
Old 01-14-2008, 06:56 AM
"pete f passed away quietly in his sleep on July 13, 2008

Originally Posted by DaHos

OK heres the info:

1986 22re 4 runner
New engine

And here is the problem:

1) No timing adjustment.........No change when the Jumper is on although it does trigger the check engine light.
2) So I check and adjust the TPS - OK
3) So I check the AFM - OK
4) So I check the EFI relay - OK
5) So I check the Control relay - OK
6) I had to jump the Fuel pump jumper to get power to the fuel pump.
7) The truck starts and runs, I just cant get the darn thing to time correctly.......

I will be doing some more tests tonight (ECU power), just looking for some info / advice.

Thx, D
What I would do is mark the timing mark on the crankcase pulley. I just use chalk and put a small chalk line on either side of timing mark . Then I would start the engine and see if you can see the chalk mark with your timing light. Your timing might be off so you will have to move your distributor to get to time.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:02 AM

No problem getting the timing mark to show up......the timing is close just dont know what it is.......main concern is why all the other items are not working...ie: the Jumper ???????

By jumping the fuel pump pigtail does this then bypass the other jumper T/E ?

I know I need to check for power at the ECU....but from the key on position, what order does the system go........I feel like I just keep going in a circle.........

PS: I have no clue if any of the items worked prior to pulling the motor.....bought it DOA......

Gotta head out to a job, Ill check back this afternoon...

Thx, agn... D

Last edited by DaHos; 01-14-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:52 PM

im curious on the problem....

when i checked my timing last year, i found it was doing the same thing as yours. with the jumper, no change in timing like the FSM says.

hope someone knows whats goin on. since mine runs fine, i kinda forgot about it till now.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:31 AM

Sounds alot like my 86 22re 4runner. Just bought it with all new drive line, Starts and runs, but coughs and sputters BAD when driving. My distributor has about 1 1/2 in of adjustment, but that hasn't helped me either.

Are you throwing any codes? I have a 21 and a 52. the 52 is sometimes. I changed my O2 sensor with no gain, actually I still have the 21 code.

My mechanic friend said you have to disconnect a wire from the ECU to adjust the timing or the car won't recognize the adjustment. I don't know, but it's something to look in to.

I also read on another web site that in one guys case, the chain adjuster had broken , allowing the chain to jump a few teeth. I hope this isn't your or my fate. I will keep an eye on your thread for help and put in my 2 cents worth with any more discoveries. Feel free to check out mine too.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:54 AM

I am pretty sure the only thing that controls the base timing is the TPS Te1-idle switch. If that is not closed you will not get base. You always get a service light when you jump the diag terminals.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:28 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Those two terminals (TE1-E1) bypass the ECM timing advance. The terminals for the fuel pump only go the fuel pump (Fp) and battery positive (B+).

Maybe the diagnostic box is having issues. I'd suggest trying to jump the same terminals at the back of the ECM itself, but I don't how safe or effective it is. Seems like it would be fine, but...

Maybe test the TPS circuit at the back of the ECM connector. See if all is reading well.

Where does the timing sit without the jumper?

Does the CEL come on with the jumper?

There's no wire to disconnect from the ECM to adjust the timing during the adjustment process. You can't anyway, really. You want the ECM to read everything (sensors, etc.), just not be able to advance the timing.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That terminal box is coated with some funkey crap by Toyota. I cleaned mine with carb cleaner and a tooth brush. I was having similar problems jumping those pins with a thick wire. When finished, I sprayed over the contacts with a light oil. As for the TPS sticking, I had that problem too. Ordered a new TPS from a Toyota dealer in Dallas TX, got the replacement part number, and between cleaning the terminals and carefully installing the new TPS the truck really calmed down and the timing could be set.

My $0.02
Old 01-19-2008, 11:48 AM

I haven't been able to get back to it all week....... Great now ya talked me into firing up the burner.....#*&%#! $4.00 a gal Kerosene !!!!!

Thx, for the input ....just need to warm up a bit......see what I find tonight..
Old 01-19-2008, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah its the tbs man mine was the same so i re adjed it with the body off the intake much much easier to work with then just used a mm and set it just right all in the heat of my house then froze putting it back on lol
Old 01-20-2008, 12:43 PM

Well I guess if you mess with it long enough things just start working????

Tested circuits and wiggled wires way to long last night, rechecked everything again today. Reset the TPS AGAIN !

Fuel pump circuit seems to work without the jumper now also....

Timing now at 5 goes to bout 12 with out the jumper. Runs good in the shop, have yet to get it out and put a load on it.

I guess if all else fails just take it all apart and put it back together a few times.......tada its FIXED ??????
Old 01-21-2008, 05:18 PM

finallt pulled mine. the TPS was gunky inside and i could see it was nowhere near the full closed position. i cleaned it all up, reinstalled it and voila! timing was easy to set now. works like a charm.