Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Timing Help plz asap.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Help plz asap.

I am currently workin on setting my timing on my 22re.

I have tried to set my timing before, but couldnt quit get the lines to match up every time the light flashed.
I realized that this was because i did not jump the diagnostics things.

Anyway, i read on another post on yotatech for a 22re that the terminals that needed to be jumped were Te1 and E1

I need to know if thats correct, as i cant find my chiltons.

Also! when i opened the diagnostics cover to expose the terminals, there was what looked like... grease? in all the holes... is that good? im assuming it could be conductive grease but... whaaaat? lol... is that good or bad guys?

i cleaned them out a lil, leaving some of the grease lookin stuff in there in case it was suppsoed to be there.

NEXT!

I have been havin trouble with my exaust pipe over heating and glowing red hot, eventually starting to smoke from just after the xhaust manifold, and then eventually causing my enginge to not be able to go above idle without drowning out.

So what i did was tried to disconnect it from my cat to see if there was a cat plug. It didnt help. So i disconnected the entire pipe from the manifold itself. This allowed my engine to run smoother! Why on earth would this be happening... It seems like my engine is spitting too much exhaust for the stock exhaust pipe to handle, and is causing it to blow back into the engine... or maybe im completely wrong

Somehow i think Abecedarian is going to nail this one again but.... HELP! lol.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry for the double post.. but heres my new current situation

I jumped the terminals with a paper clip.

I have to put the distributor in its furtherst position(turning the distrib counter clockwise, to move the marks on the crank pulley to the left) to get the marks to line up, this causes the engine to run at an extremely fast speed.. although it sounds nice

Im guessing my distrib is a tooth off or something? anyone got any ideas haha.. my noobness is showing

Last edited by 9o7yota; 08-08-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Abe would reply except that he's been banned.......a good while back.

Te1-E1 is correct.

Grease is normal, dielectric, but it's non-conductive. You don't want conductive grease in there causing terminals to unintentionally short.

Did the engine idle RPM drop a bit when you installed the clip between Te1 and E1?