86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing chain replacement finished!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing chain replacement finished!

I just finished replacing the timing chain in my 89 4x4 beater without pulling the head and I couldn't have done it without the tips and tutorials I found here. I used the breaker bar and starter technique to break the crank shaft nut loose. I bent my power steering pulley slightly removing it to get to the bolts holding the bracket on, but I believe it will still do it's job. I also fck 'd up the section of head gasket when re-installing the timing chain cover, but thanks to the threads here I knew to just RTV it. Not exactly the quality of job I had hoped to do, but hillbilly engineering has fixed a many of a mechanical device. The biggest screw up was discovered upon cleaning and picking up my tools and junk after wards. I had went by Walmart during my lunch break to pickup antifreeze and motor oil and I had to elbow my way down the automotive aisle where I grabbed a tube of black Permatex "RTV". When I buggerd up the gasket while installing the cover I just ripped open the Permatex and went to work. When I was cleaning up I noticed that I had grab the Black Silicone Adhesive not the good stuff. I have nothing to blame except my own lack of attention to detail. If and when it starts leaking oil I should be able to pull the cover and re-install a little quicker. Until then I can start the engine and be glad I don't hear that timing chain eating a hole in the cover plus I saved a good chunk of cash fixing it myself. Once again, thanks to the contributions of the forum members.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:25 PM

I just finished mine and bent the head gasket back while re-installing the timing chain cover. I took a wood chisel and cut the head gasket off flush at the junction with the block then used the black Toyota gasket goop to seal the top of the timing chain cover with the overhang of the head. So far no leaks.
After the fact someone mentioned using the aluminum from a soda can to protect the head gasket as you slide the timing chain cover back in place. Wish I'd seen that before I'd done mine; however, because it's a low pressure area I think all will be fine.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:38 PM

I tried the piece of aluminum without success. Not saying it can't be done just that it didn't work for my ten-thumbed-hillbilly-ass. There isn't much room to fit anything between the head gasket and cover while trying to slide everything over the crank shaft. I am going out of town tomorrow, but plan on dropping the front diff and removing the oil pan and looking for those pieces of chain guide that went missing. Interestingly, a previous owner had had the oil pan off and used a cork oil pan gasket. The Haynes manual and tutorials, posts, etc. led me to believe that 1989 models didn't use an oil gasket, but RTV. Anyways, I am just glad it actually started and I didn't have any oil or coolant leaks.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:34 AM

In preparing for my timing chain replacement I did purchase an oil pan cork gasket, but decided not to drop the oil pan so just used the Toyota black gasket goop. My driver's side timing chain guard was missing two very small pieces, about the size of a finger nail. I figured they either had come out unnoticed during an oil change or have been in the oil pan for quite some time. If the latter, they will not pass the wire mesh on the pick up. Anyway I just don't have the energy to go get them right now.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by PETDOC
In preparing for my timing chain replacement I did purchase an oil pan cork gasket, but decided not to drop the oil pan so just used the Toyota black gasket goop. My driver's side timing chain guard was missing two very small pieces, about the size of a finger nail. I figured they either had come out unnoticed during an oil change or have been in the oil pan for quite some time. If the latter, they will not pass the wire mesh on the pick up. Anyway I just don't have the energy to go get them right now.
Mine were missing BIG chunks; presumably floating around down below. 16,000 miles later I guess they're still floating. Am I smart? Lazy? or just Lucky?