86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing Chain Engnbldr VS. OE

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Chain Engnbldr VS. OE

I've got a 95 22re with that just hit 143k that has been suffering from the start up rattle for about 20k miles and I think its time i change the timing chain. I hear great things about the timing chain kits from Engnbldr and I was wondering if it comes with everything (chain, guides, sprockets, tensioner). I've always been a firm believer in using OE toyota stuff because thats what has worked best for me so i'm a little weary about using an aftermarket part that is so pivotal. I'm just wondering what everyone's experiences have been with the kit from engnbldr, longevity wise (how many miles has it lasted), quality wise (especially the tensioner) and if anyone has ever had or heard of any negatives of the kit. I work for a company that has toyota as one of their franchises and its more than twice the price with my discount (10% over the dealerships cost)for me to go with OE, I hate to think i'd be naive to believe that cost equals quality, but it just baffles me that i can get a complete kit and cover for 100 bux with any sort of comparable quality to OE. Any info is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-06-2008, 06:35 PM

well, OE has lasted this far, just keep an eye on it if you're that worried about aftermarket quality, but I have heard good things about Engnbldr
Old 05-06-2008, 06:49 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Hey 943, I can speak from experience and from the testimonies of many others that Engnbldr sources excellent stuff. So far there've been 3 or so 22re rebuilds in my family and they are all doing great... I have 15k on an engine right now that I built from his parts and its running really well.

The owner of Engnbldr is names Ted and you'll find that he's reasonable, personable, and frankly alot of fun to do business with. He answers emails swiftly and is easy to get in touch with. He's also been in the business for a long, long time.

An interesting thing about Ted is that he's always looking to make his products better - for instance, according to him the timing chain tensioner is one of the weak links of the 22re and so he actually includes very detailed instructions about how to install it so that it has the best chance of survival. He also sells a headbolt set that is higher quality than OE and and can be torqued a bit tigher then factory.

So my suggestion would be to shoot Ted an email with your question and see what he tells you about his timing chain.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:20 PM

That start up rattle is a norm in all the 22re's I have owned, new chain guts or not. Oil presure is what holds the tensioner out and that takes a sec to build. Teds stuff is just as good as OE.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my engnbldr stuff is still going strong
Old 05-06-2008, 11:14 PM

Go with engnbldr. It is all I use. Good stuff, get the steel backed guides.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash319
That start up rattle is a norm in all the 22re's I have owned, new chain guts or not.

ive never had that problem.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:59 AM

I have Teds parts in my engine too...good stuff...highly recommended
Old 05-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i went with a cheap aftermarket chain kit before i knew of engnbldr because i couldn't justify the price of OE parts (i wasn't making much money at the time). i even reused the headbolts and everything has been fine for about 2-3 years and 30,000 kilometers.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:15 AM

The most important thing is to make sure you get a "japanese" kit with METAL guides..... my two cents
Old 05-07-2008, 10:26 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 943kgt
I've got a 95 22re with that just hit 143k that has been suffering from the start up rattle for about 20k miles and I think its time i change the timing chain. I hear great things about the timing chain kits from Engnbldr and I was wondering if it comes with everything (chain, guides, sprockets, tensioner). I've always been a firm believer in using OE toyota stuff because thats what has worked best for me so i'm a little weary about using an aftermarket part that is so pivotal. I'm just wondering what everyone's experiences have been with the kit from engnbldr, longevity wise (how many miles has it lasted), quality wise (especially the tensioner) and if anyone has ever had or heard of any negatives of the kit. I work for a company that has toyota as one of their franchises and its more than twice the price with my discount (10% over the dealerships cost)for me to go with OE, I hate to think i'd be naive to believe that cost equals quality, but it just baffles me that i can get a complete kit and cover for 100 bux with any sort of comparable quality to OE. Any info is greatly appreciated!
The great thing about the steel backed guide (over OEM, or equivalent, design) is that if/when the chain has eaten through the plastic guide material you still have the solid backing so the timing cover is not damaged and coolant enters the crankcase. Plus, there's less chance for the guide material to break into big chunks and fall into the crank sprocket and/or oil pump as it's all adhere to the steel backing. Otherwise, there's not much difference between engngbldr's kit and OEM quality/longevity-wise.

If you're getting rattle, don't wait around to replace the chain assembly. I did because I believed I'd be fine until such and such time. Cost me 6 bent valves and a head rebuild.

@Rustbucket.....where is this instructional for installing the tensioner by engnbldr? I don't recall getting anything of the sort with my front end/TC kit.

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
ive never had that problem.
I haven't either. Not with new chain guts, anyway. I just recently put in a new engnbldr front end kit (TC ass'y included) and all is smooth and quiet.

Last edited by thook; 05-07-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan
i went with a cheap aftermarket chain kit before i knew of engnbldr because i couldn't justify the price of OE parts (i wasn't making much money at the time). i even reused the headbolts and everything has been fine for about 2-3 years and 30,000 kilometers.
hmm are the head bolts stretch bolts? why cant you reuse them?
Old 05-07-2008, 02:43 PM

Get engnbldr's kit. Ted is awesome he answers questions VERY fast and uses good parts. I got the timing kit with the steel rail, new oil pan gasket, and new front cover for about $80. Great deal and haven't had any problems so far.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by 943kgt
hmm are the head bolts stretch bolts? why cant you reuse them?
It's been a topic of debate and some people are nervous about reusing 22re headbolts, but they are reusable IF they're are good shape. They're not TTY/stretch bolts like the 3vze.

Last edited by thook; 05-07-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:13 PM

ted's cam, timing chain kit, HG, head bolts+ all going great guns.
the consensus around here is that he's second to none. stands by his products, and freely gives great advice.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by thook
there's less chance for the guide material to break into big chunks and fall into the crank sprocket and/or oil pump as it's all adhere to the steel backing. Otherwise, there's not much difference between engngbldr's kit and OEM quality/longevity-wise.
LOL! That's true as long as the guides themselves stay intact. If they break, they cause all kinds of heck when they lodge between the chain and crank gear. The driver's side one broke after only about 45,000 miles (my original stock ones went 140,000 without breaking). I used brand new OEM guides on the new engine, better IMO to schedule a timing kit every 100,000 miles than to risk the unknown again.

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 05-09-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:57 PM

Oooooouch! I seem to remember this. Didn't you have a thread about it not too long ago?

My timing cover broke in the same way.....only I had all plastic guides. Either a piece of the plastic (a 1-2" chunk was missing from the middle of the rail) lodged in between the crescent and chain causing it to blow from the torque upon start up, or it was because the chain was rubbing the guide rail mounting bolts and went kaput. Probably the former.

I believe the TC should've laster longer than it did (80k), but I don't believe the mechanic that installed it replaced the tensioner. Then again, the kit I gave him to install (Japanese/OEM) may not have come with one......don't recall. At the time, I didn't know a timing chain from muffler bearings, so I didn't know if it even SHOULD have!!!! Ah well! I do now..... and I do my own work now. So, pffft!

BTW, your driver's side rail doesn't look very abnormal. The wear pattern looks even and no different than an all plastic guide would. Either way, one must admit, this timing chain design wasn't the greatest.

Last edited by thook; 05-09-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Oooooouch! I seem to remember this. Didn't you have a thread about it not too long ago?
Yeah, it's come up before. Maybe an engine building thread or something.

Seems to me metal backed guides are subject to the same questions of quality as anything else and there are apparently less good ones.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver
Yeah, it's come up before. Maybe an engine building thread or something.

Seems to me metal backed guides are subject to the same questions of quality as anything else and there are apparently less good ones.

True, true, true. It all still has to come apart if the chain fails. But, atleast the timing cover water jacket is protected. Wooohooo!
Old 05-09-2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver
LOL! That's true as long as the guides themselves stay intact. If they break, they cause all kinds of heck when they lodge between the chain and crank gear. The driver's side one broke after only about 45,000 miles (my original stock ones went 140,000 without breaking). I used brand new OEM guides on the new engine, better IMO to schedule a timing kit every 100,000 miles than to risk the unknown again.

holy crap this happend with engnbldr's kit?

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Engnbldr VS. OE