86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing Chain / Engine Noise A Reflection

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Chain / Engine Noise A Reflection

Well i buttoned up the 4runner and drove it around. It is running nice, but it seems i have lost a little power. But all in all this is what i found out.

Before tearing the motor compeltely apart check a few more things.
I had the dieseling noise when i started the motor up. I pulled the timing chain and it and the guides looked real new ,and there was no evidence of the chain slapping on the timing cover. So i changed the chain out and sealed it up. I now know it takes to tear into a 22RE. I now know the age of the timing chain and hopefully i get rid of the oil leak in the front of the motor.

When timing the engine i now know i have either a broken or dirty TPS. I Ohm'ed it out today and i get nothing between the IDL and E2. No resistance at all. So i guess that is one reason why the jumper on the diagnostic port does nothing to change timing.

I also found out the diesel noise was not the timing chain. It turns out the idle RPM was set really high on the motor. I dont have the tach on the motor so it really didnt sound that high. But when i put my tach/dwell meter on it, the motor was idling at abotu 1300 rpm when it was even warmed up. So i knocked it down and retimed the motor to 750rpm. When i start it up i do not get that sound anymore. Even after i let it set and get cold overnight. But the idle is slightly irratic, it will pulse from 750-800 . Not that bad, but i can notice it a touch.

So all in all the truck runs good, but it seemed to be a little less peppy compared to before i opened it up. So i think it is possible the timing being setback to normal makes it a bit sluggish cause i am used to the timing advanced a bit.

So all in all i am happy and dissapointed but in the end i have it together and running. So I will address the TPS in a week or so, i am tired and it is getting chilly otuside.

Thanks for all the help!!
Old 11-25-2007, 10:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DanStew
So i think it is possible the timing being setback to normal makes it a bit sluggish cause i am used to the timing advanced a bit.
+1
Why not advance it up a little more. I belive on mine stock is 5 deg but it runs way better at 8 to 9 deg. I only set it a 5 for smog checks then back up it goes.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not so much looking for pwoer, but more MPG, i may tweak it a touch after i see what i am getting for milage like this.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
It isn't going to run right until you get a new TPS or figure out why it isn’t working correctly.