Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Timing Chain Cover

Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Chain Cover

I need a new timing chain cover for my 22re. When I put in my new long block the casting on mine cracked where the vertical bolt attaches thru the head. I welded the piece back on but the crack is still there. I do not think about the fact the timing chain keeps that spot covered with oil and is leaks terribly. I have been keeping an eye on ebay for a good OEM used one but am tired of waiting. There are plenty of aftermarket timing chain covers out there. Is there any brand that would be as good as an OEM one? I have seem Aisin covers for around $125 but would rather spend $50-$75 on an aftermarket timing chain cover if they are any good.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree OEM is the best, but if $50 - $75 is your budget then go with the Engbuilder timing cover. I believe he sells the Rock products.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:12 AM

I saw engine builder sold timing chain covers for like $75 or something. I may call him and order one.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My timing chain cover is leaking on my new long block. I was very carefull installing it, but it is now leaking around two of the bolts. Do not know the brand, but you have me wondering if the cover not the gasket is the problem. Hmm
Old 09-23-2011, 09:18 AM

My cover actually broke when I was removing it to switch it over to the new long block. Part of the casting protrudes out to allow for the one vertical bolt that comes down thru the head (it's the only bolt that goes vertical the rest are horizontal and go into the block. Appearently the timing chain cover had been removed at some point prior to my ownership and the little piece had been JB welded (or something) as it had been broken before. I actually welded it back on so I get put the bolt back in but did not consider that it would need to be sealed up tight as the timing chain is just pulling oil up to the top of the head like an elevator. It's amazing how much oil just seaps out of the crack.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
+1 on ENGNBLDR. I got his Front End Kit (FEK on eBay for like $150 for everything - chain, cover, oil and water pumps, gaskets, tensioner, etc). He sells the covers by themselves too I think.

I had a leak but it was from between the head and top of the timing cover (head gasket had been destroyed where it mated with the cover/head so there was a space there...I just used JB weld and it's bone dry now.

Make sure you use RTV or FIPG when putting in those timing cover bolts that bolt through the larger timing cover holes and then into the block, since the holes have some tolerance around them.

Good luck!