Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing chain

I just redid my timing chain...got everything locked in...except that i forgot to tape the tension bar down and there's no slack...so i cant get the top sprocket to lift onto the camshaft.

Any ideas/??? I tried a crowbar and even sticking a bar down into the chain and pressing against the tensioner but it won't budge and i can't get the sprocket on...

also, for anyone that removed their AC pump...the housing creates space for the bolts so you have to use washers...i thought i was losing my mind and my bolts grew an inch in a few places but it's only that...

also, don't forget to tape your tensioner down.

let me know though if you've got any ideas for getting that sprocket up over the hump
Old 02-27-2010, 12:22 AM

I see these posts from time to time, and I always wonder why the top sprocket isnt put on before the tentioner?
Turn the crankshaft counterclockwise just a hair to gain enough slack. As long as the colored chain link, and the dimple on the gear line up, then it wont matter to turn it slightly.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:35 AM

ya, turning it doesn't seem to do it really. And, there's a notch pin in the camshaft that fits into a female slot on the sprocket so it really has to line up to make that happen...i'd have to turn the camshaft too if that was gonna work im pretty sure...i might be able to if i put the screw into the camshaft and try that but i doubt it will bolt in at the slight angle due to the sprocket not fitting over it...i tried bolting the gears in hoping it would pop it on...i dunno..

i;m thinking about putting my 12ton jack under the engine or the crankshaft but i dont really think that's gonna work or might be a really bad idea.

ya, i saved the last part so that i was sure i setup the right positions and just figured it'd line up right...i was wrong!
too bad the chain isn't broken in already...
Old 02-27-2010, 12:45 AM

You'll have to find something to push in that tentioner while pulling up on the sprocket.
An extra set of hands will help with this.
Frustrating, but rewarding in the end.
Long 3/8 extention, or even 1/4 would be better.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another 'wtf' question is why would you install the timing cover without having the timing chain installed? And if you didn't, why not pull the tensioner out, install the chain / sprockets, then put the tensioner back in?
Old 02-28-2010, 01:03 PM

well the reason was that the cam had been moved out of Top and slight to 3 o'clock -- i got a second set of hands and depressed the tensioner and it worked out. I realized afterwards that what i did was completely unnecessary and stupid. Probably the result of working for too many hours. I just finished doing a rebuild of dana 60 axles and brakes and a ford 2150 carb and FE 360 engine.
I would absolutely love to gut the 4runner and pull a body swap onto this 77 f350 1ton axle/frame setup--wider wheel base and a 360 would make all the toyota guys out here their pants but i think that the police would catch on and start checking for frame vin #'s and next thing i know i'm in court disputing car mods.
nonetheless -- yotatech is boss -- thakns guys for helping me out **i'm like a kid playing with legos and not reading the instructions properly.