Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Timing belt replacement and other stuff while I'm in there

Old 04-25-2007, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timing belt replacement and other stuff while I'm in there

Hey Guys
I'm replacing my radiator, belts, hoses, & thermostat. While I have all this apart, I was thinking maybe I should replace my timing belt and water pump while I'm in there. I've only got 80k miles on the clock, but it's a 15 year old vehicle. I've found some things go bad with time, not just mileage.

My question(s) is(are) this:
As long as I have everything out of the way while replacing belts & radiator, should I do the timing belt? Am I "jumping the gun" on the water pump right now with so few miles?

I've been ordering parts from this new place I found, and they have a lot of oem stuff with free shipping. They are a bit cheaper on most stuff and MUCH faster (about 5 days faster) than ordering from 1sttoyotaparts.com, whom I've used for years.
They have a timing belt kit which includes upper and lower idler bearings and timing belt for $120.16 and a new asco/aisin water pump for $69.11. These seem like good prices to me with free shipping. What do you guys think?

timing belt kit
https://www.autopartsworld.com/Part....iming-belt-kit

water pump
https://www.autopartsworld.com/Part....ded=water-pump
Old 04-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
That price is excellent. Go for it. Hell, I paid over $100 at the dealer just for the upper idler pulley!
Old 04-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya, timing belt is actually a pretty easy job on the 3.0, especially if you already have the radiator and belts off. The hardest thing probably is getting the dampener pulley off (is that what the pulley right off the crankshaft is called?) You got an automatic transmission on it? So I guess you'll have to pull the starter to get access to the flywheel so you can jam something in there to stop it from turning while you take out the bolt on the dampener pulley. Getting that starter out will be the biggest pain of the whole job. I was lucky on mine cause it was a manual so I put it in 5th gear, put the parking brake on and was able to stop the engine from turning that way. When I did the timing belt on an 3.0 auto I had I had to yank the starter like I described above. There isn't any other way to get the dampener pulley off on an auto is there?
Old 04-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
i put an impact wrench on my main crank bolt while the engine was still in one piece & left in gear. came off with no drama. first thing I took off was the timing belt cover and did the same thing with the cam pulley bolts. Beg or borrow an impact wrench to do these; it's TONS easier.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah... do it. Worth the knowledge.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:38 PM

You guys think changing the water pump at this early mileage is worth it? The one on my truck lasted 195k....
Old 04-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it aint broke dont fix it
unless you want a piece of mind knowing that it was all done at the same time and mileage. That way it beets doing it twice as well.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:02 AM

jasonbrink,
does that site sell oem/toyota? or aftermarket, or a litttle bit of both.
i can't tell from their site, lmk b/c thats a good deal.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by radrav4
jasonbrink,
does that site sell oem/toyota? or aftermarket, or a litttle bit of both.
i can't tell from their site, lmk b/c thats a good deal.
I'm not sure if that timing kit is oem or not. I just sent them an email asking exactly what brands the parts are. I will post as soon as I hear back.

Individually, they sell both an oem and aftermarket equivalent for almost all the parts I've looked at so far. Including timing belt and idler pulleys. Also the evil and dreaded fan clutch bracket. All for way cheaper than most any dealer.

For everything I've gotten so far (oil drain plug gaskets, thermostat, radiator, cap, o-ring for thermostat, and toyota red coolant) has been oe toyota parts. same exact parts as the dealer. WAY WAY WAY cheaper. EXCEPT the radiator. There is nowhere to buy the same exact replacement as original for hardly any less than dealer (~$450) This was a C.S.F. radiator which is 21lbs by itself. I've sent back 3 other radiators from online places claiming "OE Quality" Maybe for American cars, but not Toyotas. Most were real flimsy crap.

This place www.autopartsworld.com is better than any of the www.trademotion.com websites like http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...cfm?siteid=840 or www.1sttoyotaparts.com which is Bob Bridge Toyota in Washington state. I've dealt with these two for years and always thought they were great. Way cheaper than my dealer. Shipping is only 10% of order- which is great on parts like the welded one-piece oem muffler/tailpipe I ordered for them for less than $100 to my door in NY. I will still order some things from them.

But this new place I found http://www.autopartsworld.com/ is even better for some orders, due to the free shipping. 2 days to my door for all the previously mentioned stuff (44 lbs. worth) and ZERO tax.

I always shop around for the best price on all my parts. I'm not cheap, I'm just not rich.
If it's something I HAVE to have the very next day, I go to my local dealer. They have gotten every part I've ever ordered in next day. By 10am. BUT they cost a lot more than the web choices. Sometimes double.

I highly recommend the three previous sites. Great prices, service and KNOWLEDGE. Numerous dealings with all, and no bad experiences with any of them