Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing advance issues- completely lost..

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing advance issues- completely lost..

Well I just got done replacing the headgaskets in my 3vze in my 4runner. The engine is all together but one thing is way out of whack. For some reason when i go to set the ignition timing the lowest I can get the timing to go is
30 degrees btdc. And thats with the distributor turned completely counter clockwise. It's ridiculous im actually surprised the engine is even running period. No matter what i do I cant get the ignition timing to come down any further.

Heres what I've done so far.
I set my engine to top dead center and the distributor set up is perfect when i pop the distributor cap and the mechanical timing is set up perfect as well with the crankshaft and pulleys. This made no sense, So I did a little reading and found out that the 3vze has an electronic spark advance on it where the engine will advance the timing if it sees fit to do so. So i decided to check the CEL and it flashed code 51 and code 52. Code 51 is the switch signal and code 52 is the infamous knock sensor signal. Now earlier in this build I actually replaced and set my TPS so I know thats not the issue for the code 51. Also the other possibility is that my AC switch is stuck on but I'm pretty sure thats impossible in my case because i cut my ac belt off itleast two years back because my pump went out on me and I havent had the funds to replace it. Plus I pulled the AC fuse under the dash after it threw code 51 and there was no difference when i fired the motor up again. Those are the only two possible causes of the code 51 aside from my wiring harness being bad (heaven forbid). As for the code 52, the knock sensor wire it would not surprise me that my knock sensor has gone bad. It looked pretty haggard out when I was putting on my lower intake plenum and the wire was real brittle but this still doesnt explain why my f#**#!" timing is so ridiculously advanced!! I spent some time reading up on the knock sensor and apparently it retards the ignition timing if it goes bad rather than advancing it. So im definitely lost right now not quite sure what could cause my timing to be so out of whack. The other thing I was thinking is maybe I have a pretty serious vacuum Leak? And yes i did remember to bridge the two electric ports on that diagnostic thing when I went to adjust the ignition timing with the timing gun.

I dunno guys any advice would be greatly appreciated I am so lost dont have the foggiest idea as to what this could be. This is week 4 in the headgasket replacement of my daily driver and needless to say I'm deeply frustrated. Well I cant think of anything else to say and since I'm done ranting now Il probably down a few beers and go fire up the plasma cutter. If you see a soft orange glow in the distance outside the Portland metro dont be alarmed it just the remains of what used to be my favorite SUV in the world soaked in about 30 gallons of diesel fuel good thing I've got some brats leftover from the super bowl GO PACKERS!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pull the distributor out and turn it some that when you stick it back in, you have more room to move the distributor to get it back to where it needs to be.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Did you use the paper clip in terminals TE1 & E1 before trying to set the timing?

DId you REPLACE the knock sensor wire??? That's a MUST DO.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:39 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
weaselman has it. The distributor gear has 13 teeth; 360/13 = 28.

It's an easy mistake to make, as the gear is helical. So pull the cap, note where the rotor is now, and when you put the distributor back on note that the rotor is 28 degrees in the direction you need to go.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:43 AM

Yea i put the paper clip in the ports TE1 and E1 before trying to set the timing, so does this knock sensor really mess up your engines computer when it goes out? Can it actually advance the timing? Yea Weaselman and scope 103 i dont really understand what you guys are saying about offsetting my distributor 28 degrees. Im almost positive the distributor is set up perfect when I put it in i made some marks with a permanent marker on the the inside of the distributor so i could make sure the marks on the cam gear and the side of the distributor matched up when i slid it in and everything line up. I mean I know what you guys are saying yea it slide over a bit when you put in but the FSM says to insert the distributor with the marks on the cam gear and side of the distributor matched up. Am I missing something here did I still set it up wrong?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:33 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Try this: use some masking tape to mark the side of the distributor right where the number one plug tower is. Pull off the cap, turn the crank with a wrench to TDC. Where is the rotor pointing? It should be pointing about 10 degrees PAST your mark (because the plug fires when it is 10 deg before TDC). I'll bet yours is about 30 degrees past, and loosening the bolt (to turn the distributor) won't get it any closer.

You followed the FSM correctly, but the marks are difficult to get lined up and the gear is slippery, so you just missed by about 15 degrees and the helix did the rest. Just slide out the distributor (keep your mark, and leave it at TDC), and put it back in following the same instructions. This time, your rotor will end up right about where you want it.

Then you can work on your other codes. Get the ignition timing in the right neighborhood first.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:07 PM

Thanks man il give it a shot headin down to the shop right now
Old 02-08-2011, 08:10 PM

ok wow that really just clicked in my head yea it fire literally 10 degrees before the number one piston hits top dead center k headin down to the shop thanks again.