Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

throttle body mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throttle body mod

I have done this mod and I can say first hand that there is a noticable increase in performance. The most notable is in "off the line" torque. I understand that you are letting in more air than the TPS is expecting, but I am confident that the VAF or O2 sensor will prevent too much of a lean out to the point where valve damage could occur. Please check the link and give any feedback you like.

P.S. I have a 94 runner 3VZE with 260,000 km. Gas milage has improved slightly maybe 10-20%. I have not had the time to do an acurrate calculation.

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Gadgetman_Groove
Old 12-13-2009, 08:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok, so he is cutting a 1/4'' wide groove thats 1/8'' deep behind the throttle plate, and thats doing something to the air flow to give more power and torque ?, good idea if it really works. I watched the two videos and saw how it was done, and i have a dremal tool so all i would need it the bit and i could do my own if i wanted to for the price of the dremal bit, and save 300 dollars.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:02 PM

I was watching the wave video that he has and i don`t think the wave has anything to do with the power increase, because by the time the air got into the individual intake runners the air wave would be gone. What i think is happening it that the groove behind the throttle plate is allowing more air into the engine as soon as the throttle is opened, so you would feel a little more power and torque sooner in the power band, does the sound right to anybody else ?. Im just throwing my own opinion out here, if its wrong then maybe someone can explain it better to me.

Last edited by myyota; 12-13-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

idk, but if it works... i'll do it.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by myyota
I was watching the wave video that he has and i don`t think the wave has anything to do with the power increase, because by the time the air got into the individual intake runners the air wave would be gone. What i think is happening it that the groove behind the throttle plate is allowing more air into the engine as soon as the throttle is opened, so you would feel a little more power and torque sooner in the power band, does the sound right to anybody else ?. Im just throwing my own opinion out here, if its wrong then maybe someone can explain it better to me.
I agree. Just like those tornado and turbo fan crap you put in the intake to create a "vortex" that vortex is gone once it goes to the individual intake valves. All it is simply doing is letting more air in, un registered by the MAF (or VMAF). Also notice the angle of the butterfly valve in that video, lines up perfectly with the grooves. That isn't going to happen with normal driving.

I feel kinda bad for the guy. Invested over 400k into "fuel efficiency" and "groove technology".
Old 12-14-2009, 02:37 AM
Contributing Member

yeah i'm starting to think this is a gimmick... just buy an oversized TB from DOA, your mileage won't change but you get a litte more get up and go.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:47 AM

I call B.S. There's no way. Sounds like the O.P. is advertising, or in bed with the company...
Old 12-14-2009, 05:51 AM

I understand that there would be scepticism, but as for the wave form, apparantly it would cause a fluctuation in pressure throughout the manifold and runners and at the lower pressure of the wave the fuel will atomize better. Call it what you will all I know is that I have increased power (moderate) but noticable that cost me an hour and $10. This from an engine that most say is essentially void of any real increase in performance. If you have a spare TB I would recomend giving it a try first then argue why it does or doesn't work. Theorizing and speculation doesn't help anyone. By the way I am not affiliated with the guy selling the mod.

Last edited by linearfashion; 12-14-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:04 AM

linearfashion,
You have to expect skepticism when your very first post in this forum is about one of these questionable mods. It would be great if one of the "trusted" members that have been around for a while to try it out and post results.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by linearfashion
If you have a spare TB I would recomend giving it a try first then argue why it does or doesn't work. Theorizing and speculation doesn't help anyone. By the way I am not affiliated with the guy selling the mod.
I agree. Throttle bodies are only $10 or $15 on ebay. It's 5 minutes of work to remove and install one. Someone could to a dyno test before, put on the other (grooved) throttle body, and do another dyno.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:07 AM

I'd personally be more interested in the increased mileage claim. BTW, the cheapest TB on ebay for me is $85 shipped.

Last edited by DJ99; 12-14-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by DJ99
I'd personally be more interested in the increased mileage claim. BTW, the cheapest TB on ebay for me is $85 shipped.
Ah, you have the V6. I have the 22re. My 22re TB was like $35 shipped from canada. It was like $10 for the throttle body and $25 shipping.

-edit-
wow. I just checked ebay. I got really lucky with my snag. Throttle bodies for the 22re are going for $49 and $59. What should a junkyard charge?

Last edited by DupermanDave; 12-14-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:43 AM

I have done this mod and I can say first hand that there is a noticable increase in performance. The most notable is in "off the line" torque. I understand that you are letting in more air than the TPS is expecting, but I am confident that the VAF or O2 sensor will prevent too much of a lean out to the point where valve damage could occur. Please check the link and give any feedback you like.

P.S. I have a 94 runner 3VZE with 260,000 km. Gas milage has improved slightly maybe 10-20%. I have not had the time to do an acurrate calculation.

The guy who came up with this mod is 95% blind so do you still trust him?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:48 AM

I hope someone else can try it, my truck is in need of a tune-up badly and I noticed a difference. I hope there isn't any long term problems that will occur. I'm up in Ontario Canada, and I find that once the cold weather hits my mileage takes a dip. I'm averaging 16 mpg before mod but I use the gauge and trip to get my figures, and of course thats not accurate. My goal is better mileage, but if I notice more power and the same mileage that would still be a good thing, seeing as the truck is a bit of a dog. It's an interesting theory and a quick mod and I wish good luck to anyone who tries it, by the way you must grind the tip of the die smooth so you don't damage your throttle plate!
Old 12-14-2009, 08:49 AM

wasn't Beethoven blind?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:56 AM

Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by JamesD
Being blind doesn't limit your intelligence. Just your ability to see.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
Ah, you have the V6. I have the 22re. My 22re TB was like $35 shipped from canada. It was like $10 for the throttle body and $25 shipping.

-edit-
wow. I just checked ebay. I got really lucky with my snag. Throttle bodies for the 22re are going for $49 and $59. What should a junkyard charge?
i just pick one up for $25 shipped off ebay, but that one is getting bored! after i swap that one over, ill have an extra tb i was gunna bore and then sell if it worked out well. but i might be willing to sell it if its going to a good cause like this... (i dont have access to a dyno)

Someone could to a dyno test before, put on the other (grooved) throttle body, and do another dyno.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:57 AM

My V6 TB was 19 bux at U Pull It.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:43 PM

wasn't Beethoven blind?

Deaf.

Quick Reply: throttle body mod