86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

thoughts on DOA's Crankshafts, pistons n connecting rods

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thoughts on DOA's Crankshafts, pistons n connecting rods

ive looked all over the internet trying to find someone that could make forged pistons, crank, n connecting rods for the 3vz motor and all i came up with was DOA. And im not too sure i wanna go with Tim cuz i heard alot of bad stuff from peps on here. Also if anyone knows any where else that forges pistons, cranks, connecting rods that would be greatly helpful! open for any suggestions thanks guys
Old 03-27-2007, 08:12 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ummm - check the vendor feedback section... there's a lengthy thread
Old 03-27-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what are you doing that requires forged rods? I'm not as familiar with the 3.0, but usually going to high dollar rods means big power.. *usually* no reason to do it on a NA motor.

Tim doesn't build pistons. He's a vendor for a company like CP Piston, who actually makes them. Just like LC or any major performance parts producer - most of the manufactured parts are made somewhere else. Buying from him is no different than buying from LC Engineering or another 3rd party that is a "vendor" for specific parts sources.

Venola also makes custom pistons - basically design anything you want per specs.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
guessing twin turbo's
Old 03-27-2007, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
guessing twin turbo's
smart man! i tryed email Cp pistons they said they custom make some. but havent receive that much info yet. I just wish they had some places in cali where they forged crank, connecting rods, n pistons. the reason for the forging is cuz i want that extra comfort that everything will hold up to the boost! thanks guys for the input any more is welcomed!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by shoes138
thanks guys for the input any more is welcomed!
Stay the f--k away from DOA!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:07 AM

lol i figured i would get one of those!
Old 03-28-2007, 01:05 AM

I don't have any knowledge on DOA. But, I would not buy from anything that could stand for Dead On Arrival.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:19 AM

the stock toyota crankshaft is forged, rods your still on your own though.

edit: custom pistions are usally cnc machined, to forge a pistion would be spendy, i guess they could use a blank that was forged and machine it to what you want

Last edited by mudbutt; 03-28-2007 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by bent240lv
I don't have any knowledge on DOA. But, I would not buy from anything that could stand for Dead On Arrival.

That's a good way to make decisions.
My experience with DOA has been good. Doing custom stuff - especially high(er) HP isn't always a bolt on and run sort of job. Notice I said my experience was good, not that my experience was without frustruation (I've been through a few turbos and other parts - not related to vendor issues) I acknowledge that others may have legitimate alternate experiences.

If you're considering CP, look at Venolia pistons. They make rods also.
Same deal, can do 100% custom - pistons are made of the same alloy as CP, but cost is signfiicantly less.
I run CP in my junk... Mainly due to engine to piston clearance.

Why twin turbo a 3.0L motor? You'd have to run really small turbos on each side.. Or do something interesting like run turbos of different sizes... I'd think that a single turbo could get you in more than enough trouble.

I understand the desire to polish a turd, trust me... But if you're putting down the kind of power that requires forged rods (I'm guessing over 300hp) - you'll be looking at driveline issues, etc.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:59 AM

so the crank would be fine? its just the pistons and rod that need some help??? thanks again guys

the reason for the twins is that will spool up alot quicker and also a guy mentioned that i get the twin turbos from a 300zx. i will see if those turbos will work after i do all the calculations!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by dcg9381
.. Or do something interesting like run turbos of different sizes...
Ok, I know this is really getting off topic, but I've been wondering about this for a while:
would there be any major problems associated with running different sized turbos off of different engine banks? eg: run a 42 or 48 A/R exhaust with a 45 or 50 trim on the left bank, and run a 60 A/R exhaust and 63 or 67 trim on the right bank?

That way the first turbo would spool super low, and by the time its thinking about fading out, the second bigger turbo is starting to spool up. I'm just not sure how the cylinders would respond to having different back pressures.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:47 PM

if you think about it only half the engine would be working alot faster and the other would be slowing it down! and you would think the would cause alot of stress on the motor. unless you did the turbos back to back so it would collect all the exhaust from all the cylinders other than half of it! and then that would make sense! hope this made sense!
Old 03-28-2007, 02:14 PM

Different turbos is a reality.. It's done by setting up the turbos as sequential (as mentioned above) vs a true dual deal.

shoes138:
I don't know what the power limitations of the stock bottom end components are. My only advice is that with any add-in turbo setup, forged pistons are great insurance and are usually the initial limiting factor in regard to big power.

You might talk to MonsterMaxx - he seems to have the most experience that I've seen on this board as far as polishing the 3.0L turd.

There is more to it than building a stout bottom end and bolting one or more turbos up to it... The rest of it, particularly the EFI, can be very complicated and often cost prohibitive. Sometimes it's just flat better to stick with an engine swap if you're looking for big gains. This is coming from someone who polishes the 22RE turd quite a bit so take that for whatever it's worth.. :-)
Old 03-28-2007, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check out sts turbo systems and just run a single, dont drop a ton of money into the motor and then run some old used z turbos
Old 03-28-2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by dcg9381
Different turbos is a reality.. It's done by setting up the turbos as sequential (as mentioned above) vs a true dual deal.

shoes138:
I don't know what the power limitations of the stock bottom end components are. My only advice is that with any add-in turbo setup, forged pistons are great insurance and are usually the initial limiting factor in regard to big power.

You might talk to MonsterMaxx - he seems to have the most experience that I've seen on this board as far as polishing the 3.0L turd.

There is more to it than building a stout bottom end and bolting one or more turbos up to it... The rest of it, particularly the EFI, can be very complicated and often cost prohibitive. Sometimes it's just flat better to stick with an engine swap if you're looking for big gains. This is coming from someone who polishes the 22RE turd quite a bit so take that for whatever it's worth.. :-)
well i no the easier pat of this project will be just bolting everything n fabin everything up! the big challenge will be tuning the engine and actually making it work!
Originally Posted by norcalsvx
check out sts turbo systems and just run a single, dont drop a ton of money into the motor and then run some old used z turbos
no for sure im not get used turbos! i just said i was looking at the Zs turbos because the Zs motor is a comparible size to the 3vz. everything on this motor is gonna be new besides for the block! thanks!
Old 03-28-2007, 03:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shoes - glad to see you still want to turbo! I do too, but my bottom end needs a rebuild first. 110psi compression on #1, and then 135-150 on the rest just isnt cutting it. Still RUNS like mad for a 3.slow, but I need to source a new block.

The 3vz-e crank is NOT forged. (our engine)
The 3vz-fe crank IS forged. (91-92 camry v6 engine)

Apparently the cranks are identicle.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:02 PM

Why turbo a turd??
I mean come on if you're gonna blow the $$ on turbo's and fab why not just swap some sorta toyota turbo engine complete? OR turbo a chevy V6??
How are you gonna control FI?
With the MAF on stock 4runners a blowthru won't work so easy.
Also w/ the head gasket issues 3VZE's have ya might wanna rethink what's the weak link. Along w/ the underhood heat issues.
Yes, forged components are the way to go, but if you don't boost more than 10psi you could use hypereutectic(?) pistons.
Check out here for LOTSA info about turbo's
http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/
Old 03-28-2007, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Shoes - glad to see you still want to turbo! I do too, but my bottom end needs a rebuild first. 110psi compression on #1, and then 135-150 on the rest just isnt cutting it. Still RUNS like mad for a 3.slow, but I need to source a new block.

The 3vz-e crank is NOT forged. (our engine)
The 3vz-fe crank IS forged. (91-92 camry v6 engine)

Apparently the cranks are identicle.
can the camry 3vz's crank fit in our 3vz's?? im just tryin to see wat places forge pistons n crank n connectin rods!
Old 03-29-2007, 06:59 AM

You might wanna consider a remote mounted turbo. No need for i/c then.
Plus plumbing in general is easier.

Quick Reply: thoughts on DOA's Crankshafts, pistons n connecting rods