Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Are the Thorley's that big of a help?

Old 03-30-2010, 04:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are the Thorley's that big of a help?

Have my nice little v8 project sitting here getting built up, but decided to pick up a new motorcycle - going Thursday night and 99% sure I'm coming home on a bike.

With that being said, and with the new job taking up so much time. I'm thinking about waiting a LONG time before I put the engine in. With that being said, I want a vehicle that will hold 75 on the interstate without rolling through the gears constantly. I'm currently on 285's on the stock 4.56's, problem one;-0

I have the bodylift enroute from 4Crawler/Roger and am still putting it on. After that I think I'm just going to do all the oil leak fixes on the truck - vavle covers and rear main - i know rear main ouch And throw the thorley's on and then regear to 5.29's and go with 35's.

Will that be good enough?

Current mods are pretty simple - Intake, EGR delete, and Dynomax exhaust, and complete tuneup less than 2,000 miles ago.

If I go this route I will go ahead and add the snorkel to the 3.0 as I do water crossings all the time, AND - I'm going electric fan on a switch for water corssings as well.

So what would you do, the headers and regear.

I have my speed demons, will actually have 2 after this bike purchase.

So, keep 3.0 in for a while - up to 2 years and put the Thorley's on
Screw it, do the swap in the next 6 months - even though you don't have time;-)
Old 03-30-2010, 07:58 AM

If I had a V8 sitting there and knew I was going to do it anyway, I would not bother with the Thorley's for two years. The do not make that much of a difference. As much as they do add some power, they also help the #6 cylinder with all the heat it sees from the stock exhaust. For two years, just leave it alone and drop the V8 in.

I have the Downey headers on mine, but they are just about the same thing.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah dude I have the lce headers on mine and they deff help with the heat and add a little power but if you already have a v8 then quit being lazy and throw it in lol jk. I wouldn't worry about headers on the 3.0 if I were you.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:12 AM

Yeah dude I have the lce headers on mine and they deff help with the heat and add a little power but if you already have a v8 then quit being lazy and throw it in lol jk. I wouldn't worry about headers on the 3.0 if I were you.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 AM

Well, parts are building for the v8 swap, don't have it yet, have the short block, oil pan, and tranny, but that's it. Need Heads, valvetrain, intake manifold, wiring etc...

I had a complete engine and tranny deal for a 95 cobra engine that fell through because the guy got in an accident after we made the deal, so that's gone, but I have a forged and bored shortblock.

I need alot to get the v8 ready, and picking up this bike I'm considering not even doing the v8 swap as I'm guessing with the proper gears and some headers, as well as all the oil leaks fixed it won't be too bad of a little daily driver and toy machine. here in Florida, daily driving is not daily, if ti's sunny - everyday - then I pick one of my toy's to drive, the Saleen or the bike
Old 03-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

More ponies more PAY at the pump!

Too bad about the v-8 deal falling through, but a bike is tons o fun.

For a daily driver, ?? perhaps in traffic?? do you want a louder exhaust??

The smallish gains in power in a header ~ seems I would invest the time and $$ in comfort items for a daily driver, $ 00.02 worth of info??

Repo