Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Thinking of a 2nd Gen project

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of a 2nd Gen project

Hey all, I'm new to the 2nd Gen but I've had my 3rd Gen for about a year and a half now and love it. Bought it with a dead engine and had a local shop swap a good 3.4 in it while I was living in an apartment in Louisville, KY for training.

Here's the deal: While yard saling this weekend I happened to notice a gold 2nd Gen sitting next to a shed, seemed to be in good shape and the back end wasn't sagging and then I noticed it had no plates on it. I figured, dead engine, so as the wife is hopping out to browse I told her to ask if it was for sale. After playing with the old man's cat she came back and said that the 4Runner was his son's and it indeed has a dead engine but they're not sure if they're going to sell or not. He mentioned that they probably would sell but wasn't positive yet, so we drove off. That 4Runner is only about a mile if that from my house and from the driveway looked pretty clean.

I've been reading up on 3.4 swaps but I've never personally done any engine swap. I've been around one for an extra set of hands but it was on a 66 Fairlane so wiring was minimal and it was a simple 289 swap. Is this something you'd recommend having a pro or an experienced person do? I'm mechanically inclined, I do as much work to my rig as possible but it's not a direct swap so I'm nervous to be honest. Plus, I don't have a garage, engine stand, cherry picker do help out.

This would be a project for sure and I don't mind letting it sit a little while but I'd love to either pay somebody locally that will let me help out or have some locals come out and school me on this.

No pics yet, I'm thinking of going by today and talking to the old guy again just to introduce myself and plant the seed about the sale. I'll post up pics when I get them and hopefully I'll get a great deal. Hell, I only paid $500 for my 96 Limited when I bought it. Just paid $250 for my 91 Prelude Si 4WS 5 speed with a dead engine so if my math is right and the pattern continues this will be $0! LOL, just kidding y'all.

Thanks in advance and I'm going to keep reading and researching the swap. LKQ here just got two 3rd Gens in but have yet to put them out in the yard so I know where donors are sitting.

Jason
Old 08-11-2009, 08:58 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dude you can do it just be patient and do alot of reading , Ive never done a 3.4 swap or any other swap up until just recently I started a 1UZ swap in my 88 4runner did all the wiring myself .Im not finished yet but am pretty close.

good luck !!!!!

By the way I just started it yesturday for the first time , its a great feeling when it startes for the first time after all the hours I have in it .
Old 08-11-2009, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And that's the feeling of accomplishment I want when it's done. I want to be able to tell people that I did it for the first time. I never raftered a roof before but did 3 years ago by myself for my son's 1st birthday party and it turned out terrific so this would be along the same lines.

I've been reading a bunch of swaps, just never done it so I'm gun shy I guess. Nothing better to get over it than just doing it I guess.