86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

testing specs for mass air flow sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
testing specs for mass air flow sensor?

Im looking for the testing specs for a 95' 3.0 mass air flow sensor that can be done with a multi meter.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:44 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
You don't have a Mass Air Flow sensor; you have a Volume Air Flow (VAF) sensor. Different technology.

But to answer your question: http://web.archive.org/web/201003261...92volumeai.pdf Note that almost the most important spec is that VS changes smoothly as you open the vane.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Just like the link scope103 provided, do a resistance check to see if you have a good VAF. I never gotten a code for a bad VAF unless it had the cable disconnected. I have seen them not move smoothly and bad numbers on the resistance check and still not throw a code. When installed a bad one on a truck it ran terrible. A resistance check and function check in the yard is well worth the time.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:20 PM

ok just tested it, and the only thing that came up was E1 to FC, resistance should be zero at other than closed position. I would get .2 - .3 Is this enough to be out of spec?
Old 07-21-2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
You don't have a Mass Air Flow sensor; you have a Volume Air Flow (VAF) sensor. Different technology.

But to answer your question: http://web.archive.org/web/201003261...92volumeai.pdf Note that almost the most important spec is that VS changes smoothly as you open the vane.
the numbers jump up and down and range from 60 something to 400 and something. It jumps from those numbers as i slowly open and close the vane.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by nuknuk
ok just tested it, and the only thing that came up was E1 to FC, resistance should be zero at other than closed position. I would get .2 - .3 Is this enough to be out of spec?
No. Assuming those are ohms (and not on the 200kΩ scale or something), even a good (hand-held) digital multimeter has about that much resistance in the leads. So you'll never get a resistance measurement closer than about 1Ω. (And even 10Ω would probably be good enough to close the COR, which is what you're trying to do.)

the numbers jump up and down and range from 60 something to 400 and something. It jumps from those numbers as i slowly open and close the vane.
That's bad. Jumping in one direction is bad, jumping up and down means that you probably have bad contact between the wiper and the resistance coil. Which means the ECM really has no way to tell WHERE the vane is, which is the whole point of the VAF.

The VAF is not designed to be repaired, but with those numbers you don't have much to lose. You can carefully slice the caulking on the top of the VAF and remove the cover. If you're going to try that, do a thorough search here: someone has posted pictures of what you will find.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
No. Assuming those are ohms (and not on the 200kΩ scale or something), even a good (hand-held) digital multimeter has about that much resistance in the leads. So you'll never get a resistance measurement closer than about 1Ω. (And even 10Ω would probably be good enough to close the COR, which is what you're trying to do.)

That's bad. Jumping in one direction is bad, jumping up and down means that you probably have bad contact between the wiper and the resistance coil. Which means the ECM really has no way to tell WHERE the vane is, which is the whole point of the VAF.

The VAF is not designed to be repaired, but with those numbers you don't have much to lose. You can carefully slice the caulking on the top of the VAF and remove the cover. If you're going to try that, do a thorough search here: someone has posted pictures of what you will find.
Awesome info and help you have given me, I truly am grateful. Yeah looks like i need and new one. Though i will mess with this one just for fun and give it a good cleaning and see what happens. Again Thank YOU!
Old 07-21-2016, 01:27 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
If you get it open, get some circuit cleaner from an electronics shop and clean the area where the wiper fingers contact the resistive substrate on the board. That might get you running again.

Whatever you do, do NOT remove the screws from the connector on the side of the body and attempt to remove that part. You'll destroy the circuit board inside. There's a little wire clip to remove the cable; that's how you detach the wires.

It's best to open up the VAF in a clean environment, such as your kitchen table. When you get done with it, you can temporarily seal it up with duct tape to test it, but use RTV when you're ready to make it permanent.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by RJR
If you get it open, get some circuit cleaner from an electronics shop and clean the area where the wiper fingers contact the resistive substrate on the board. That might get you running again.

Whatever you do, do NOT remove the screws from the connector on the side of the body and attempt to remove that part. You'll destroy the circuit board inside. There's a little wire clip to remove the cable; that's how you detach the wires.

It's best to open up the VAF in a clean environment, such as your kitchen table. When you get done with it, you can temporarily seal it up with duct tape to test it, but use RTV when you're ready to make it permanent.
yeah i already have it off, and know about to not mess with the screws, and do have it here on the kitchen table. My wife is going to just love that when she comes home, lol! I see the wiper and the board. I will get some contact cleaner and give it a go, thanks.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:04 PM

so i just clean this VAF while i have the cover off of it? nothing really else to do with it?
Old 07-21-2016, 05:08 PM

so i just clean this VAF while i have the cover off of it? nothing really else to do with it?
Well, at a minimum, take some pictures. And record your resistance measurements. And tell us which contact cleaner you used, and how well you think it worked.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:37 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
I would inspect the pins where they come from the connector and solder on to the PC board. If this is a new vehicle to you, a PO could have made the mistake of undoing the screws and cracked those connections. Just gently wiggle them with a small tweezers and make sure they're solidly attached. If not, you can repair them with a small soldering iron if you're good at that sort of thing. Otherwise bring it to your local electronic geek friend.

Beyond that, there's not much to do beyond making sure the wiper and resistive track are clean. If that doesn't restore smoothly varying readings you need a replacement VAFM.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:34 AM

ok guys, i have taken before pics, so havent cleaned anything yet and I am taking before readings. After inspecting more today, I noticed the on the VC prong where the circuit board is soldered to the top of the prong, the solder is broke lose. So I will try and fix that, and see if I get any better results. Also the sensor that hangs down in the chamber of housing is really dirty(dusty looking). I have pics and will upload later.