86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

tensioner/idler pulley cheap fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tensioner/idler pulley cheap fix?

Hey guys i searched and i couldnt find anything which i find odd as i doubt im the only one to run into this....

anyways my 22re with no a/c was making noise and i boiled it down to the tensioner (idler) pulley for the p/s belt. I called a few lordcos and all of them had no listing for a non a/c 89 4runner 22re... only an idler for a system with a/c... So it looked similar so i bought it.. got back to the shop took my old one off and the new one was to small.. i might have been able to make it work but i wasnt sure if i would be able to put enough tension on the belt with it as it was about 1" diameter smaller...

So what i did was take the c-clip around the bearing off then pounded it out of the pulley.. then i took it apart with a little screw driver and cleaned it and repacked it with wheel bearing grease.... threw it all back together and my sound went away.. its quiet as a mouse now

I was curious if anyone else has done this and had any success?? how long did it last? For me it onlly started making this sound occasionally about 2 weeks ago so i dont think the bearings were damaged at all....

Also has anyone else had trouble getting the proper sized pulley for this? I cant be the only one?????

thanks guys
Old 12-06-2007, 07:14 PM

am I all alone on this one ? lol
Old 12-06-2007, 07:18 PM

well that works or get a different belt!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:50 PM

if you can remove the bearing than most likily a good parts place could get you a new bearing to replace it with....
Old 12-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by longhungsilver
am I all alone on this one ? lol
You're not alone in PoCo, but I've never owned a 4 banger Toyota so I can't help on the pulley.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:02 PM

You were probably sold the idler for the A/C belt.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by anotherjeff
You were probably sold the idler for the A/C belt.
yes thats what i figure... i tried other parts stores no luck...all thats left is the dealer.. or pound out the bearing and see if i can read any part #'s perhaps...

Ive decided its not going to be a permanent fix what i have now as it is spraying the red wheel bearing grease out i can see it slowly seaping on out so its just a matter of time until the bearing is dry again
Old 12-09-2007, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by yota4runna
Yes, I did the same thing. The bearing inside your pulley is a Timken #204FF. My bearing was screaming, so I bought a new bearing. Then, since I love a cheap fix, I decided to see if I could extend its life with some grease. No risk, I already had the replacement. I took my grease needle and lifted the plastic shield on the bearing and pumped in a little grease around the bearing. The new replacement bearing is still in the glove box after two years, just in case.
thanks for the part # man!! ill find that bearing now.. ill probably just slap the bearing in cuz my plastic sheild must be a bit old and weak as its letting the grease I put in there slowly seep out hehe..
Old 03-12-2008, 11:29 AM

I've had the same issue. Nobody has the pulley, just the AC pulley. Even checked trdparts4u. Thanks for posting the bearing part #
Old 03-12-2008, 11:41 AM

if you want a cheaper bearing, just get the dimensions and phone a bearing supply place. they can probably get you a chinese made one for a couple bucks
Old 03-12-2008, 11:49 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I have a/c, unfortunately, and when my power steering idler seized and the belt broke, i just cut off my a/c belt, and used the pulley, bearing, and the bolt that goes through it that the adjuster bolt threads into, new power steering belt, stock replacement, and no problems, worked like a charm.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:53 AM

hi guys. sorry to revive an old post

I need to replace my idle pulley bearing, but cant seem to get the darn thing off without damaging it.
any advice on removal? service manual is no help, just a pretty picture of it

thanks in advance
-trr
Old 11-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by torchredraider
hi guys. sorry to revive an old post

I need to replace my idle pulley bearing, but cant seem to get the darn thing off without damaging it.
any advice on removal? service manual is no help, just a pretty picture of it

thanks in advance
-trr
You can't get the pulley off or get the bearing out of the pulley? If you have an Advance Auto parts near you:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Pro...pe=810&PTSet=A

I can't remember which one, I think it's the 20 mm one. Double check the bearing when you get it out.

Last edited by BigBluePile; 11-12-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:05 AM

Just did mine yesterday (though I have AC) and it was a snap! Bought one from Toyota for ~$7 shipped to my door! Exact same bearing (markings and all) as the original I pounded out. Worked great!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 AM

PS- Toyota Part # 90099-10091 is what I used.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:57 PM

More pulley drama

I hate to be the a-hole to bump a 2 year old post, but I have the same exact problem. I can't find the idler pulley for the power steering side anywhere, and apparently the dealer wants some crazy amount for it. Mine had a nice big bite taken out of it when I bought the truck. I checked the whopping two junkyards within an hour's drive of my town and had no joy. Anyone know who might sell this part aftermarket? For some reason the A/C side is listed everywhere, but the P/S side isn't. In the few cases where I could find it, it was the same exact part with a different description. I went as far as to buy one, only to discover such for myself.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:55 AM

A/C idler --P/S idler pulley swap

...Ran into the same problem locating the P/S idler pulley for my '94 4WD, 2.4L pickup. They wanted $150 for the P/S pulley...but it comes with the adjusting bolt tensioner--whether you need it or not. Not..... Wound up buying the A/C pulley (the bolt hole is the same size as the P/S pulley when its bushing is inserted.) To utilize the A/C pulley, you'll need to use the rear spacer/washer from the original P/S assembly...but omit the bushing INSERT. Add another spacer/washer to the front of the pulley before sliding the outer bearing shield over the bolt. This will give you the proper clearance/alignment fore and aft. Because the A/C pulley is smaller in diameter than the P/S pulley, you'll have to "take-up" considerably more on the adjuster. Fortunately, there is plenty of "bolt" to achieve the proper tension.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:40 PM

I guess at some point someone changed the pulley and bearing in mine because I CANNOT find a bearing for it. The # on the seal says 6203LU however when I search that it gives me a 17x40x12mm bearing. The OD and width are correct however I need a 12x40x12 bearing which I've just spent 20 minutes searching online for. I guess I have to tear the whole tensioner assembly apart to see if I can change the bolt that the pulley goes through to a 17mm.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:14 PM

Bearing suggestion

Another option may be to use the readily available 6203 bearing...with a bushing to reduce the bolt-hole diameter from 17 to 12mm.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:24 PM

Is the 17mm what they come from toyota with? Maybe mine is missing a bushing and the PO got lucky in finding a bearing that fit the bolt.

Quick Reply: tensioner/idler pulley cheap fix?