Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

TDC / Distributor Replacement / Starting Guide

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TDC / Distributor Replacement / Starting Guide

OK...

after several problems getting my engine started, I decided to help everyone here to get their engine correct easily (without taking valve cover off)

First... if ur replacing spark plugs, clean each spark plug hole WITHOUT KNOCKING DIRT INTO THE HOLE. Its hard, but be careful. Replace every spark plug except for number 1 (the farthest spark plug forward). Put a wadded paper towel into the hole but make sure that you can still pull it out. Now, go down to the flywheel with an 18mm long / deep socket w/ wrench. Crank the flywheel, noticing that there are 3 hard strokes per cycle folowed by an extremely easy stroke (the air coming out of the open spark plug hole (cylinder). If the towel is wadded enough, the paper towel will pop out. NOW, there is a notch on the flywheel, and when the notch is pointed at the counter above the flywheel (i set it to 0), you are ready to put the distributor in.

Before placing the distributor in, mark where the cylinder 1 spark plug chord goes. It should be (if looking at a watch) at around 10 to 11 o'clock. You might want to mark it with a pencil on the distributor itself.

When placing the distributor in, its easier with the rotor on the end. If it is not easy to put the distributor in, you might want to hone it down with 500 grit wet / dry sandpaper, making sure not to scrape the O-ring. I got a new one, so I had to do quite a bit of honing, but its worth it. SOOOO, once you are ready to place it in, rotate the rotor about 45 degrees above ur mark on the distributor. When you put the distributor in, the rotor will rotate to its mark. Don't worry about joshing the distributor back n forth to get it in, cuz once the cogs of the gear on the end mash, all ur twisting and turning of the distributor will not turn the rotor. Once you get the distributor all the way in, center the spike on the bottom of the rotor with the magnetic contact plate. Now bolt the only bolt to the distributor in on the side. If there's no space, you got the wrong cogs, and go at it again.

As a reminder, the wires on the distributor go

1 3
2 4
the order from front to back of the cylinders is 1, 2, 3, 4.

Good luck, and hope this guide worked.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
btw this is for my 22re engine, but it might work for any 4 cylinder