86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

taking out 22re and putting a new one in

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taking out 22re and putting a new one in

I just recently posted a thread seeking help on a lost of power and a loud engine noise. came to find it is coming from a broken connector rod. looking into buying a rebulit 22re long block and install and that and as this would be the 1st time for me doing something like this i wanted to see if ne one had a opinion as if this route is a good one going with a rebuilt instead of trying to find a junkyard and also if there are ne tricks or things to watch out for in doing this swap. Any input would b great just looking into some option and some opinions
Old 01-16-2008, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are a number of threads on this subject, they should give you some idea of the problems others have solved.

For a rebuilt engine, try Oregon Engine.

Study the FSM or a Haynes manual on how to remove the engine. Here are some things I have learned that might be useful:

I would just remove the engine, leave the transmission in the truck. Brace the transmission.

Do not remove any parts that can stay on the engine or just be disconnected. For instance, leave the power steering and A/C hoses connected, just disconnect the units from the engine, and tie them aside. Leave the fuel injection system, exhaust manifolds, and alternator on the engine.

The wire harness is difficult to remove from the fuel injection manifold, as it is under a wealth of other stuff. Also, it is woven through the fuel injection manifold. Instead, disconnect the wire harness from the ECU, MAF sensor, starter, transmission, etc, and remove it with the engine.

It is very important to LABLE EVERYTHING like hoses, vaccum tubes, electrical connections. This site is full of people whining and asking about how to reconnect this stuff after an engine change. Also, run fasteners back into their place after you have removed a component. You will then know where they belong, because they will be where they belong.

After you get the eingine out. the fuel injection manifold has an allen bolt in the front that is hard to access and is in pretty tight. I had to turn it off by chiseling it , what a PITA. Replace it with a regular hex headed bolt.

I would change all coolant and vaccum hoses while the engine is on the stand, some of them are hard to even see with the engine in the truck.

While the engine is out, I would replace the clutch.

If you can, use two engine stands, one with the old engine on it, the other with the new engine, move parts from the old engine directly to the new one. This will help keep things organized.

Slip a new set of brushes in the alternator, the alternator is hard to access with the engine in the truck, and you will have the unit off anyway.

When you reinstall the engine, level it side to side with ratchet straps or something, as it unbalanced and will not hang level. the engine needs to be level to go back in.

There will be some unanticipated work to be done, like broken bolts, components that are bad, and shoddy work from prior maintenance. These will add time and money to the job.

This job does not require any great knowledge, it is just time consuming. It took me about 15 hours spread over two weeks to accomplish it. I needed help getting the engine out and back in, other than that, I did it alone. You will need a cherry picker and at least one engine stand, and a sheltered place to work. I rolled my truck out of the garage to remove and replace the engine, other than that, it was in the garage. Some long extensions to remove the top engine to transmission bolts and the exhaust pipe to manifold nuts will be very useful.

Good luck with the project.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:30 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
make sure to take a lot of pictures, one thing I ran into was lining up all of the alternator/motor mount bracket/p/s bracket. Make sure you lable your wiring harness, and turn your flywheel and get a new clutch if its a manual. and if you need some visual help look at my post "89 22re PICS almost done" this has some big pictures to help if you need them.

I used engnbldr parts and am extremely happy with it. 800 miles since rebuild and doing great.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Just rebuild the engine yourself. Much cheeper than getting a whole rebuild motor. Surely there is a machine shop in your area that can do any machining needs you may have. If you don't know how to rebuild an engine than I guess you can get a whole engine. But from my experience ifyou can take an engine out and put one back in that it shouldn't be to hard for you to figure out how to do a rebuild.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:35 PM

hey thanks for the replies i will look into rebuilding the motor one thing is i want to try to get it back on the road as soon asap..