Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

T-Case / Tranny Noise???

Old 09-10-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T-Case / Tranny Noise???

I'm just getting done finishing up the 1UZFE swap into my 4Runner, running the lexus tranny with Inchworms prerunner adapter, followed by advance adapters dual case adapter for a pair of 2.28 gear driven transfer cases, both of which have been fitted with 23 spline input shafts. The t-cases are full of oil, and are running royal purple 75-90w. I know the transmission to be good as I drove it in the donor car before the swap and it had no issues. However this is first use of the t-cases since the swap and doubler install.

I tried searching for t-case and tranny noises, but couldn't find anything similar. However it only seems to do it when there isn't any load on the drivetrain. If I'm hard into the pedal it sounds fine, and completely off the pedal it sounds allright, but that in between where the drivetrain slacks, it gets scary loud.

My thoughts are that it could be either the coupler sleeve that sits inside the inchworm adapter, as there isn't anything at all that locates it other than the fact it's trapped by the shafts which it couples....or I screwed something up in the dual case build. The driveshafts are clear and not rubbing anything, and overall drivetrain slop feels fine when rotating the driveshaft back and forth by hand. Anyone know what this could be? I'm gonna go pull the cases and see what I can see in the meantime.

TIA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ercL_kL8srk
Old 09-10-2011, 06:11 PM

Well, I pulled the cases and tore them down. The oil did have more than an acceptable amount of glitter in it, but there was hardly anything stuck to the magnet in the drain plug, so I'm assuming all that glitter was aluminum. Plus I did just install two new input gears as well....hmmm.

Given the magnitude of the sound it was making, I had hoped to find something overly apparent when I tore apart the cases. However nothing really stood out much. There was some rub marks on the housing from a couple of the gears, but it looks fairly minor like it was caused from me turning the gears by hand when I was putting the assembly together.

There were some small marks on the gears, but only appear to be from the little bits of aluminum getting caught and smashed in them.

I did notice what seems like a bit too much free play in the primary output shaft bearing. (The one that is held in place by the four bolt cover ring.

In all though it seems tough to think that the free play in the bearings could possibly cause that much noise though. Then again, I've seen some really strange and rather loud sounds come from silly things like a pebble on top of a gas tank, or a loose heat shroud under the body.

At this point I'm kind of unsure if I should order a bearing set and just replace them all and hope that was the problem, or if I should toss all the pieces of this thing in a box and ship it to Marlin for a rebuild. I'd hate to spend the money on having the work done though if it's something silly I could repair myself. I just don't have much experience dealing with the insides of a gearbox yet. :-/
Old 09-10-2011, 06:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If you have hd transfer case mounts it will be loud. My dual cases do the same thing as yours . I consider it drivetrain patina
Old 09-10-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by stereoguy
If you have hd transfer case mounts it will be loud. My dual cases do the same thing as yours . I consider it drivetrain patina
The motor mounts are the trail gear "bomb proof" mounts, which never made any noise at all in the past, and the T-Case is mounted with Inchworms crossmember shown here. http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/pr...oducts_id=1050

I would chalk it up as drivetrain noise, but I don't really care for the funny looks people in other lanes give me on the freeway because my truck sounds like its gonna break in half. Plus it's so loud I would never be able to hear if anything else was wrong with the truck, nor be able to hear my CB...even turned all the way up, and never would I be able to identify the song playing on the radio.