Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

T-case leaking after dealer flushed transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T-case leaking after dealer flushed transmission

Hi,

I picked up a '93 4Runner (3.0, Auto, 4wd) recently. Love it!

I took it to my local dealer a couple of weeks ago for an alignment and trans flush.

Earlier this week, while replacing the 02 sensor, I found a leak from the rear portion of the transfer case. It looked to possibly be coming from what I think are a couple of vent holes towards the top on the drivers side. I cracked the fill plug on the back of the transfer case, and the level was where it should be.

I did a bit of reading, and discovered this transmission and transfer case on this truck are a connected system.

I checked the transmission fluid level, and sure enough....it's overfilled.

From what I have read, the system is divided into transmission, front section of transfer case, and rear section of transfer case (where the chain is). The transmission and front of t-case are open to one another (and share fluid), and fluid can flow over into the rear section of the t-case. Am I correct on this?

This morning I returned to the dealer. They said the problem is that my t-case has transmission fluid in it, which has ruined the seals. They told me the rear of the transfer case should have gear oil in it. I have looked at the FSM online (for a '95), and it says Dexron. I told them this, and the mechanic said he looked it up on All Data and it says gear oil.

They also tried to argue with the transmission being overfilled (I checked it 4 times, hot, with the engine running).

They want to crack open the t-case and reseal it. I told them to wait (they still have it).

From searching around, I see there is some confusion on what to put in the t-case of a 3vze with the A340H transmission. Even Haynes and Chilton had it wrong.

So, after all this....am I right, ATF in rear? Would overfilling the transmission cause some drips from the top rear of the transfer case?

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
ATF is correct in the Tcase, since you have an automatic. Its hydraulically controlled, sort of like a mini-transmission in layman's terms.

If the Toyota dealer says gear oil in the Tcase, run far far far away.

Factory trained

See also, this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...estion-187185/

Last edited by DeathCougar; 09-14-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are some variations in the A340 trans axles.

If you are sure you have the A340H then yes it does share fluid from the main trans axle to the transfer case somewhat but if draining and filling... the transfer case on the A340H has a separate pan behind the main trans case. It has a drain plug along with the main pan. But if you drain the T-case you must re-fill through the fill hole. And obviously the main trans case is filled through the dip stick tube.

I believe the A340H has a separate transfer case cooler mounted to the passenger side frame rail while the others do not.

A340H uses automatic trans axle fluid throughout the transmission.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
ATF is correct in the Tcase, since you have an automatic. Its hydraulically controlled, sort of like a mini-transmission in layman's terms.

If the Toyota dealer says gear oil in the Tcase, run far far far away.

Factory trained

See also, this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...estion-187185/
DeathCougar haha.

Also overfilling an automatic transaxle is a big no no.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:19 PM

Thanks the info!

Seems like I was spot on, which is a nice feeling since I'm new to the 4Runner world (first Toyota).

Would overfilling cause the drip I'm seeing? Again, it looks like it's coming from a couple of small holes towards the top of the rear transfer case. There were absolutely no signs of leaking before they did the flush.

I'm thinking my best course of action is to ensure the transmission fluid is at the right level and see if the drip goes away.....and not let them touch anything else!

I was just thinking, why is a dealership using All Data instead of a FSM?
Old 09-14-2013, 08:22 PM

And, I've already printed the page in the FSM showing Dexron in the t-case for the 3VZE. I'll take it by Monday after work.

Last edited by jdrum1; 09-14-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:03 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Overfilling could cause leakage, though I think it's a sealed unit (to keep crud out) excepting for the breather at the top (but could leak in areas w/o gaskets not expecting fluid I suppose). Don't quote me however...

And I think the fluid transfer from tranny/front transfer to chain case is only if a/some seal fails. But again, don't quote me... Double check the FSM and whatnot.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by RSR
Overfilling could cause leakage, though I think it's a sealed unit (to keep crud out) excepting for the breather at the top (but could leak in areas w/o gaskets not expecting fluid I suppose). Don't quote me however...

And I think the fluid transfer from tranny/front transfer to chain case is only if a/some seal fails. But again, don't quote me... Double check the FSM and whatnot.
It's weird though, because the fluid is coming from near the top of the rear section of the transfer case (far above the fill plug, so far above the fluid level in the rear section). I forgot to add that I did pull the fill plug once I discovered the issue, and the fluid level in the rear was exactly where it should be.

Maybe the leak just looks to be coming from the chain case, but is coming from the front section.

Where is the breather?
Old 09-15-2013, 11:07 AM
RSR

FSM: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../transfer.html

Top right: http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...roduct=4210842
34180B , part # 90930‑03031
Old 09-15-2013, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the links, but I'm confused. On this link, the table shows 75w-90 for both transfer cases (mine is the VF1A).

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../1descript.pdf

Thoughts?
Old 09-15-2013, 11:33 AM

It's crazy....that same manual in that link shows the same thing as the '94 4runner manual I read from. In the maintenance section they say ATF Dexron II for this t-case.......
Old 09-15-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by jdrum1
... (mine is the VF1A). ...
IF you have a VF1a, you don't have an A340H (you might have an A340F). http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/ The transmission model is given on the sticker on the driver's side door pillar.

The VF1a uses gear oil and has no fluid connection to the transmission. The A340H has an integral transfer case, runs on ATF, and has a fluid connection between the transmission and transfer case -- one filler hole for both. (Though there is a separate drain plug to get low enough in the transfer case pan.)

If the transmission is overfilled, it will push the excess fluid out of the breather; that's part of the reason it is there. You don't want to regularly overfill a transmission, but I've never heard that losing a few tablespoons of overfill out the breather damages the transmission. It doesn't do your driveway any good, but you can just clean it up.

Why does the dealership use AllData "rather than" the FSM? How many paper manuals would it take to run a dealership with physical manuals? This is the 21st Century, mechanics use digital manuals. AllData just has a contract with Toyota (and other manufacturers) to reproduce the manuals in a form usable by real mechanics.

What this REALLY means to you and me is that an FSM found on the internet may violate Toyota's copyright, and AllData (who paid for the use) cares. So if you find a manual, you might want to figure out how to retain your own copy.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:35 PM

Scope,

You're right; I'm wrong on the t-case number (the nomenclature is a bit confusion). I do know for sure that I have an A340H.

That means that this t-case doesn't have it's own model number, right? That explains the link I posted earlier....the FSM doesn't have a separate section for the A340H t-case; it's covered in the A340H transmission section(since it's one unit).

Thanks for setting me straight.

As far as AllData, I say that because I have found other instances online of people saying it has mistakes (especially in wiring diagrams). I don't expect them to use a paper FSM, but there's nothing difficult to making them digital. I would prefer to get the information straight from the source then from a 3rd party. On the forum I frequent for my other car, there have been some reports of AllData having incorrect torque specs.

That said, I could easily see how the tech may have not realized that there are different t-cases put 2nd gen 4Runners, thus thinking mine takes gear oil (and that is the norm).
Old 09-15-2013, 09:51 PM
RSR

Originally Posted by jdrum1
Thanks for the links, but I'm confused. On this link, the table shows 75w-90 for both transfer cases (mine is the VF1A).

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../1descript.pdf

Thoughts?
Is your tranny a G58, a340f, or r150f? If not, then disregard and go to the tranny section: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...autotrans.html
Old 09-16-2013, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by RSR
Is your tranny a G58, a340f, or r150f? If not, then disregard and go to the tranny section: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...autotrans.html
A340H. I was mixed up on the numbers, and didn't realize the t-case on it wouldn't be listed with the others (makes sense now after learning a bit about how this transmission/t-case system works).

I'm thinking that what caused my confusion, has done the same for the tech (no excuse though).

Last edited by jdrum1; 09-16-2013 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:07 AM

Thanks to everyone for the help. This is my first Toyota and my first 4wd. I frequent a great forum for my other car (Honda s2000), and it's great to know there's an equally good community for my "new" 4Runner.

I'm going to swing by the dealer after work today (armed with the print outs from the FSM).

I'm going to check to make sure they pulled both drain plugs when they flushed it (that may explain how they overfilled it). If not, I'm going to have them refill it. If they did (not sure I'd trust their answer), I'm just going to have them drain it to the correct level and see if that fixes the drip (I'll try to get a picture of where it looks to be coming from).

I don't want to be an a$$, but I'm ready to if necessary........
Old 09-16-2013, 04:55 AM

For people who wheel their 340h and stock vf1a chain drive transfer case (what you have) it is recommended to overfill the transmission by a quart for high angle offroad use. Something about the transmission slipping when on a steep incline. For daily use, I don't know if overfilled by a quart would cause harm. I guess if it got hot, heat expansion might push fluid out of the top breather more quickly if it were overfilled. Just food for thought.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:54 PM

Just got back from the dealer.

I dealt first hand with the tech.

First off, he acknowledged that the tech that looked at it on Saturday was wrong about the t-case fluid.

They quoted me just over $1k to reseal the transfer case.......

I asked about the high fluid level in the transmission. He said he thought it was alright. I was insistent that it was overfilled.

He wanted to check it without getting it good and warm, so I insisted we take if for a drive first.....and sure enough, pretty dang high once it got hot.

At that point, even he started to wonder if overfilling the transmission could have caused the leak.

It looks like it's originating from towards the top of the t-case chain cover (but, I know it can sometimes be hard to pinpoint where leaking fluid is coming from). I planned on snapping a pic, but it was off the lift.

He's going to suck some fluid out of the transmission, and have it on the lift when I arrive tomorrow so we can look a bit more.

I still have a hard time imagining it didn't have to do with the flush (and that the leak is from the t-case chain compartment) for three reasons:

1. It was bone dry under there before they did the flush (even though I haven't had the truck for long, I drove it about 700 miles home, in Texas heat). They did nothing to the t-case chain compartment.

2. When I discovered the leak, I pulled the t-case chain cover fill plug, and the fluid level was right on where it should be (level with the bottom of the hole). They said they pulled it, and the fluid was level, so it's been dripping and not appeared to lose any fluid (it's a slow drip, but still).

3. The leak looks to originate from far above the top of the fluid level in the t-case chain compartment (well above the fill plug). I'm sure some fluid slings around in there (does the chain move all the time?), but I still have a hard time seeing it leaking like this so far above the fluid level.

I'm just going to have them drain the transmission to where it should be and see if the leak persists.

Thoughts?
Old 09-16-2013, 06:22 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Chain only moves when the front drive shaft is turning.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by RJR
Chain only moves when the front drive shaft is turning.
Thanks,

So, in 2wd, there isn't anything moving around in the chain housing to cause the fluid to slosh around, right (I know it will some just from the truck moving)?

Without something forcing the fluid to the top of the housing, I don't see how it would leak from where it seems to be coming from (which that it's not coming from the chain housing).

Quick Reply: T-case leaking after dealer flushed transmission