86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Switching out gauge cluster with SR5 gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Switching out gauge cluster with SR5 gauge cluster

Hey, just wanted to know if I was gonna switch out my non-SR5 gauge cluster with an SR5 one......so I could have the factory tach, oil pressure gauge and voltmeter....would all of the correct wiring be behind my non-SR5 gauges to make the SR5 gauges work?

Would I be able to just plug and play with the SR5 gauges?

I would think that Toyota would just make them all the same, with the same harness running up behind the gauges, and then whatever gauges the customer ordered they just plugged in........but I guess it's possible that they did it the hard way also.

Basically just wanted to see how difficult it would be to make the SR5 gauge cluster work. This is for a '92 Pickup with the 3VZE, if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Last edited by mmcpeck; 04-01-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:16 AM

First result on "sr5 gauge cluster swap" search.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...ictures-51800/
Old 04-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Banned

You can't do it, It'll never work. EVER. I mean everything I EVER say EVER cause I'M HARRY POTTA!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
You can't do it, It'll never work. EVER. I mean everything I EVER say EVER cause I'M HARRY POTTA!
LMAO Thats not true.

What you need to do is splice the wires in back, cut a hole through the existing one for the speedo, put the sr5 in front of the old crappy one, plug speedo and spliced wires in, and duct tape it on. Use colored duct tape to obtain desired color.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:41 PM

Thanks 894X4......I actually did a Search right after I posted, and found the same thread.

So it looks like it is plug and play, and all you have to do is replace the oil pressure sender with the right one for a gauge rather than an idiot light.

Has anybody ever done this swap on a 3rd Gen? Will my '92 be plug and play?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:39 PM

Everything will be plug & play except for the oil sender (change it out before you hook it up) You will also probably need to add a tach wire, some have the wire in the harness & some don't.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya tach wire is lucky. Mine did not. Here is where you can find the wire. Connector closest to drivers door (D) pin 7.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I would like to do the upgrade, but then I gotta find something to do with all these extra gauges I have now

Old 04-01-2009, 06:43 PM

Thats funny. Great big tach and red line set at 5. 22rrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flash319
Thats funny. Great big tach and red line set at 5. 22rrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!
you have no idea

Old 04-01-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by mmcpeck
Thanks 894X4......I actually did a Search right after I posted, and found the same thread.

So it looks like it is plug and play, and all you have to do is replace the oil pressure sender with the right one for a gauge rather than an idiot light.

Has anybody ever done this swap on a 3rd Gen? Will my '92 be plug and play?
I did mine and outside of having to adjust the tach to run for a 22re since it came out of a v6 rig all was fine. Change oil sending unit > plug in new cluster > adjust tach if needed and have fun.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:18 PM

I personally can't stand the huge tachs & pillar gauges (unless you have a real race car) It screams rice to me. I think the SR5 cluster looks much cleaner. just my 2 cents.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by turborich
I personally can't stand the huge tachs & pillar gauges (unless you have a real race car) It screams rice to me. I think the SR5 cluster looks much cleaner. just my 2 cents.
lol

the tach gets in the way, I'm not gunna lie

but approaching 300k miles, I kinda wanted to keep a closer eye on my engine's running condition

I still just may do the SR5 swap in the future to clear up the clutter
Old 04-01-2009, 09:39 PM

Thanks for the responses guys.

Does it matter if the SR5 cluster comes out of an Automatic truck? I know where I can get one from a '95 Runner with a 3VZE and Auto, my truck is a '92 with a 3VZE and 5spd.

I don't see what difference the type tranny would make, but I have seen it mentioned.

Also, not sure if anybody will answer this, but how hard is it to flip the mileage back to match the actual mileage of the truck?

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I belive it will have the overdrive option on the guage no?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:00 AM

874runnersr5........oh yeah I forgot about that, my '91 Runner is Auto and there is that O/D Off light as well as the ECT light on the dash.

So if that is the only difference will I still be able to use a cluster from a Auto truck/runner? Will those lights stay on all the time if they are not hooked up or will they stay off since there is nothing to hook up to them?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:42 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I would assume they would be off?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:52 AM

Yeah I would also, seeing as how there is no switch anywhere to provide any power or ground to the lights, whichever way they work.

Well I guess I will tackling this pretty soon....I really hope the tach wiring is in the harness, so it's nice and easy.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:35 AM

If the tach wiring is not in the harness, it's pretty easy to connect. Put a spade on one end of the wire and plug it into the diagnostic tach socket which is right next to the engine compartment fuse box and probably has a little rubber cap on it that says "IGN." On the tach end, it connects to the appropriate screw terminal that holds the tach in the cluster -- just follow the trace on the cluster to find which one. My recollection is that it was the screw labeled "P," but that could be wrong -- follow the trace.

As for indicator lights, none of the extra lights should come on and all your lights should work fine.

You'll need to replace the sender -- make sure you get the appropriate one to match your vehicle as there are two different connectors used to the oil pressure sender depending on year.

Of course, you have to match the speedo type to your vehicle -- cable drive or electric.

As for resetting the odometer: it didn't look to me like it would be easy to take the odometer gears apart and move the wheels, but I did successfully pop the wheels using a small screwdriver. The other option is to use the old speedo head in the new cluster. I think the speedo heads are interchangeable except that the head you have may not have the trip odometer and then you would end up with an extra hole and who needs another hole?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by mmcpeck
Thanks for the responses guys.

Does it matter if the SR5 cluster comes out of an Automatic truck? I know where I can get one from a '95 Runner with a 3VZE and Auto, my truck is a '92 with a 3VZE and 5spd.

I don't see what difference the type tranny would make, but I have seen it mentioned.

Also, not sure if anybody will answer this, but how hard is it to flip the mileage back to match the actual mileage of the truck?

Thanks.
Ok, sorry, that was a little overboard...

I know there is a difference in the cable speedo type and a electric speedo type...not sure exactly but if i remember right the cables where made up to 92?????? Or it might be 90...i cant remember...but then theres a converter box that will sense the pulses from the cable and make a electric signal...

Also, the mileage, justa22re (member on here) did a writeup on this a while ago it was in a pre 89 style cluster, but should be the same idea...too lazy to go search the link....

Hope this helps...

Quick Reply: Switching out gauge cluster with SR5 gauge cluster