Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Sweet Tire Inflation Idea

Old 01-21-2009, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet Tire Inflation Idea

Dunno if this has ever happened to any of yall on the trail (hasn't to me, cause I don't do much rock climbing...), but this is a great idea!

[youtube]f15T9vRLTT4[/youtube]

Push comes to shove, and you're stranded without wd40, I guess you could always light a fart. Expand that gas people!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:46 AM

yea, it works with starter fluid too. thats also been around forever. sorry, not something new
Old 01-21-2009, 07:28 AM

Yeah, just make sure you don't use too much fluid.....
I've also used ratchet straps to seat the bead. Wrap it around the tire in the middle of the tread and tighten. It only takes a minute longer, and a whole lot safer.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:41 AM

That's not really an inflation move, just done to seat the bead.

I just posted the same video in how-to videos section (before I saw this one).

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f153/how-videos-109821/
Old 01-21-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
when i worked for goodyear tire, a guy that i worked with tired this method because he couldnt get a bead to seat. he never done this before and used a little too much starter fluid. when he ignited it, the bead seated instantly, bouncing the tire about 2 feet in the air, blew all the extra burning fluid on to him and caused 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his arms, face, head, and lower legs. this was 4 years ago and last i heard he is still in the recovery process. so as cool as this looks, its something i wont be trying any time soon.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:40 PM

Well that was his first mistake. Who the hell would do that with ether? I mean come on, starter fluid's made of propane butane heptane and ether, is very explosive and has a level 4 flammability index. Would you pour any of that into your tire and light it with the expectation of anything going well? I'd definitely use wd40 over ether for seating the bead, would be much more controllable.

And yes I know it's not going to fully inflate the tire lmao... Figured "Sweet Tire Inflation Idea" was a much more catching thread title than "Set Your Bead in a Pinch". And it's new to me, so ehh... If the thread dies, it dies.

Only reason I really noticed the movie at youtube at all was because of the yoter in it lol.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
wow, this is the same video I just watched on MySpace

and commented "aren't us Toyota guys so creative"
Old 01-21-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah us dirt bikers do it all the time its quite convinient those tires are a pita to get beaded up
Old 01-21-2009, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
Well that was his first mistake. Who the hell would do that with ether? I mean come on, starter fluid's made of propane butane heptane and ether, is very explosive and has a level 4 flammability index. Would you pour any of that into your tire and light it with the expectation of anything going well? I'd definitely use wd40 over ether for seating the bead, would be much more controllable.

And yes I know it's not going to fully inflate the tire lmao... Figured "Sweet Tire Inflation Idea" was a much more catching thread title than "Set Your Bead in a Pinch". And it's new to me, so ehh... If the thread dies, it dies.

Only reason I really noticed the movie at youtube at all was because of the yoter in it lol.
wd 40 doesnt work its hardly flamable unless in vapor form, you need a quick powerful combustion to pop the bead out to the rim
Old 01-21-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used starter fluid (ether) plenty of times, just a matter of doing it the right way and being safe. It doesn't take a lot, as was mentioned it's Super flammable. Sounds like the Goodyear guy used way too much, obviously. I use just enough so it almost doesn't work, try it once or twice of not working to finally get enough in there to work right, without having too much left over to blow up in my face.

Not to mention I jump back and turn as soon as I throw the match.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:11 PM

ya we used it on my buddies pathfinder when it broke a bead, and it is a inflation trick, it can sometimes inflate to 10, 15 lbs, just make sure u use aslittle fluid as possible in there, if its not enough at least you can try again, this is one thing that you def def want too little rather than too much. with the flammible fluid inside, we used a wd-40 can to spray the flame inside(trying to stay as far from the tire as possible lol)
Old 01-21-2009, 04:57 PM
tc
Contributing Member

x2 for seating the bead, not inflating ... Note that this guy was smart enough to have the wheel bolted to the truck ...
Old 01-21-2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by algranger
wd 40 doesnt work its hardly flamable unless in vapor form, you need a quick powerful combustion to pop the bead out to the rim
Wd40 has a flammability level of 3 (plenty flammable for our purposes), and comes out of the nozzle in mist or stream depending on nozzle use (perfect for spraying with accuracy, ie. control). And you don't need combustion in the slightest to seat a bead. Ever used an "air cannon"? It's the expansion of gas that seats the bead, whether from a large amount of air being pumped in quickly, or the resulting gas expansion from combusting a fuel.

Last edited by SwampThing; 01-21-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
Wd40 has a flammability level of 3 (plenty flammable for our purposes), and comes out of the nozzle in mist or stream depending on nozzle use (perfect for spraying with accuracy, ie. control). And you don't need combustion in the slightest to seat a bead. Ever used an "air cannon"? It's the expansion of gas that seats the bead, whether from a large amount of air being pumped in quickly, or the resulting gas expansion from combusting a fuel.
well ive never done it on a truck but ive tried wd40 on the bike, it doesnt work. you need that rapid expansion to push the bead out or else it will just light on fire for a second and burn out
Old 01-21-2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by algranger
well ive never done it on a truck but ive tried wd40 on the bike, it doesnt work. you need that rapid expansion to push the bead out or else it will just light on fire for a second and burn out
Yeah, I imagine it'd be much more difficult with a small bike tire with a tiny sidewall with a large circumference and it's small volume.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:49 PM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AHAHAHAHA i posted the exact same video into tires and wheelshttps://www.yotatech.com/forums/f177...-trick-164839/

myspace much..haha
Old 01-22-2009, 06:50 PM

i saw a movie at the imax theatre where the landrover exploration team i think was traveling all the way around the world, but the showed them re seating the tire in the arctic after they burst it on a rift in the ice pack... it was pretty cool