Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

SUV stalls at stop sign/light

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SUV stalls at stop sign/light

First timer. Please forgive this wordy post.

SUV: 1990 Toyota 4Runner (3VZ-E), 3L 5SR V6. Current mileage 170k+

I have owned, driven and maintained this 4R for 20 years with no major issues and passing CA strict smog check. About a month ago it started stalling at stop lights/signs. I found the intake hose was dried, broken open and covered with black dust. Replaced the hose, cleaned the throttle valve and the truck ran fine for 3 weeks. It started to stall again. I suspect that EFI related parts and hoses have become dirty due to the broken intake hose. The idle RPM at Park & Neutral is 800 and drops to 600 in Drive or Reverse. (Which one is considered the idle RPM? While in P or N, or while in D or R?)

What is done so far: Removed and cleaned the throttle body, tested and verified the operation of Throttle position sensor, Dash Pot, EGR Vac Modulator, EGR Valve, Intake Air Sensor, air flow meter, Charcoal Canister and a few other things per Toyota’s Repair & Maintenance Manuel
I want to replace the PCV but on 3VZ-E engines it is hidden on the left side of the engine under the Intake manifold and blocked by tons of hoses and parts. I disassembled any blocked parts that I could and used long nose grab pliers but still there is absolutely no room to apply force to remove it.
How can I remove/replace the PCV on this 4Runner short of removing the Intake manifold? Anyone who has experienced it please advise. Any other comments relating to “truck stalling at stop sign/light” is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:48 PM

When I did the pcv valve on my old 3.0 I picked up a pair of long (I believe 8") needlenose pliers with a bend at the end. I used these to reach under the intake plenum and wrestle the valve out then pull the dried up grommet out piece by piece. I know you stated that you've tried needlenode pliers, but I think the bend is key so that you can almost pull straight up while you wiggle it. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:43 PM

Thank you Nate (87 DeathTrap). Ive bought 3 long nose so far with disappointment. I think I have to buy one more with a higher degree of bent. And yes, the grommet is all dried up. I will update any progress.
Thanks.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:58 PM

stalling at stop lights/signs? Either Brake booster/ vacuum leak come to mind. Have you checked the hose that provides vacuum to the booster for cracks, cuts, leaks? Check all vacuum hoses or maybe the booster itself is leaking internally.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:51 AM

Thank you StreetLancer. Brake booster is something I have not checked but I will now. Just out of curiosity, if it is the brake booster vacuum issue, wouldn't it also cause brake problems in addition to stalling? I am currently not experiencing any braking problem.

Thanks