Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

suspension options

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 08:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
suspension options

I have an 89 V6 runner that while pretty to look at drives like crapola. Im currently runing 33's no lift but a stiffer torsion bar and upgraded leaf packs in the rear. I didnt install these they came with the truck so I am not 100% sure of the brand etc but I do know it is not add-a-leaf. I feel like I am in a martini shaker a good portion of the time. The shocks look stock based on their lack of fancy color and size. They are def old so I cant tell much about them. Would new shocks calm the truck down. I want lift it and redo the susp entrirely but at the moment it isnt in the financial cards. So my question is would just a better quality shock help....or just make it stiffer? Wich is obviously not what I am looking for. Offroading is the least of my driving so take that into consideration I just dont do much wheeling so please dont tell me to SAS or anything goofy I am fine with the ISF setup. Thanks for any helpful advice guys
Old 09-05-2007, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A cheap option you have is to install a bj spacer in the front and let the tbars out a little, and in the rear take out the aal's and go with an extended shackle...

That can be done for under $200 and will relax the ride some. If the shocks are worn you'll just be bouncing a little more than you should. New shocks will improve the ride if that's the case but that won't soften it up any at all, that's in the springs.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
New shocks will improve the ride if that's the case but that won't soften it up any at all, that's in the springs.
Yea Im trying to decide if its the springs or worn shocks. unyil I can replace al the suspension Im looking for a cost effective option. I have thought about the bj spacers. they seem tricky to install.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SKNKWRX
Yea Im trying to decide if its the springs or worn shocks. unyil I can replace al the suspension Im looking for a cost effective option. I have thought about the bj spacers. they seem tricky to install.
There are instructions on www.sdori.com as well at www.4crawler.com. Feel free to email me at sales@sdori.com if you have any questions. With the correct and rather inexpensive tool (angle grinder/cutter about $20) it is not hard.

Frank
Old 09-06-2007, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your shocks are worn the ride can be horrible.

I just replaced what was likely stock 20 year old shocks on my 4runner with new Bilsteins and the difference is night and day. I went from a near kidney bruising ride to something that is firm although very well damped. Handling is much improved and I've really been enjoying my truck again. Well worth the $250 I spent on the shocks. It took me about 6 hours taking my time and cleaning things up as went to do the job.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:25 AM

I may try new shocks and see if that helps then possibly the BJ spacer after that. My rear sits a touch higher as it is now.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing that will make the truck ride stiff regardless of shocks are the stiffer torsion bars. Also, post up a pic, I bet the suspension has been adjusted such that it is higher than stock to clear those 33's. Adjusting the front suspension for more lift instead of using, for example, a BJ spacer will very much stiffen the ride.

The BJ spacer is designed for 1.5" of lift and will soften the ride a bit over stock so they will help. If you do have the torsion bars cranked up excessively high, I would add a small body lift to clear the tires and bring the front suspension back down. You would need to post a picture or measure from the rim to the fender lip though for us to know for sure if you front end is cranked up.

Frank
Old 09-06-2007, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the BJ spacers before you buy front shocks or you will have to do it twice.

Your ride will be much improved with BJ spacers and relaxed torsion bars.

Robb