Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Surging idle when brake pedal is applied

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Ty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surging idle when brake pedal is applied

Hey everyone. Ive got a 94 pickup 22re reg cab 4x4. I just recently had the motor rebuilt and the motor runs great. There is only one issue: When i apply the brake pedal, the engine will lope like it is going to stall. When i take my foot off the brake pedal, the motor will be fine. I pulled the fuse for the tail lights, and i try applying the brake pedal again, and the idle is fine, no surging idle.
Does anybody know whats going on here?
Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What made you pull the fuse? I would think it would be vaccum related...
Old 03-05-2010, 09:04 PM

brake booster vacuum line leak?
Old 03-05-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Your idle is set too high.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Ty

Originally Posted by limon32
What made you pull the fuse? I would think it would be vaccum related...
if it was vaccum related, it would still happen even if the tail lights were not working. But, thats not the case. It only surges when i step on the brake.

I think i do have to check my adjustment on the idle, ill check that
Old 03-06-2010, 07:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
REset idle speed, see what happens.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
REset idle speed, see what happens.
X3, and the explanation of why is below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TLCA_Tru...ech.04.09.html
Old 03-06-2010, 07:58 AM

I had that happen on a 94 22re. Mine turned out to be the ground from the body to the negative battery cable. I ran a new one and the issue stopped.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
X3, and the explanation of why is below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TLCA_Tru...ech.04.09.html

Crazy, I would have never suspected! Thanks for the info!
Old 03-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Ty

yep, i did that earlier. It fixed the problem. I adjusted the idle, and cleaned out the throttle body, it runs great now =]. Thanks everyone
Old 03-06-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty
yep, i did that earlier. It fixed the problem. I adjusted the idle, and cleaned out the throttle body, it runs great now =]. Thanks everyone
Glad to hear it worked out for you!
Old 06-23-2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by limon32
Crazy, I would have never suspected! Thanks for the info!
Assuming there are no vacuum leaks, such as in the brake booster, it’s likely because your idle speed is set too high. I can exactly duplicate this “problem” in my ‘85 by bumping up the idle speed to a bit over 1000 RPM and it’ll act as described. Turn the idle speed back to normal, and it works fine. It’s really not a problem, its supposed to work this way and if everything is set properly, and you won’t have the “problem”.

Why is this the case? Because the ECU has logic built in that says if you hit the brakes and the engine is turning over 1000-1100 RPM, it’ll cut the fuel to the injectors in an attempt to help you stop faster. After all, no sense pumping gas into the engine when you are braking to a stop. So idle rises, fuel is cut, idle falls, fuel restored, idle rises, etc. Turn the idle back to 850-900 RPM where it’s supposed to be and it’ll get back to normal. Idle speed is adjusted with the large slotted screw atop the throttle body. Turn it in to lower the amount of air passing through the throttle body at idle (and thus lower the idle speed).

i love that link man it saved my ass... thx a bunch!
Old 06-23-2013, 03:13 PM

check your ground wires!
Old 08-01-2016, 06:08 PM

Ok, so I have read through as many threads on this as I can find and I have been unable to diagnose this problem correctly. I have a 1989 Toyota Pickup 3.0L V6 4WD. For reference, as might be applicable to diagnosing this problem, the following are some of the repairs and maintenance that I have completed since I bought the pickup about 6 months ago:

Timing belt
Replaced Radiator
Replaced BVS (Bimetal Vacuum Switch, coolant temp operated)
Cleaned the throttle body
Replaced Fuel Injectors
Replaced several coolant bypass hoses and fuel vaccume lines; and visually inspected pretty much every vaccume/bypass hose on the vehicle since they have become accessible during the other maintenance.
Removed AC pressure line, and AC Radiator. (the system had no pressure, the pump was non functional, and I do not plan on bringing it back to functioning condition)

Starting a few months back, after completing some of this work on the engine, I started to notice this surging idle happening when the brake was applied. Based on the link provided in one of the links above, I adjusted the idle speed down (all the way down infact), and this appeared to do the trick ..... initially. However, then I started noticing this happening again, did some more reading on the threads, and got one of the Lisle No Spill Funnels to burp the cooling sustem. I have done that now, and am feeling confident about not having air in the cooling system. However, I still have the surging idle while braking, with no change to how it was happening prior to burping the system. The following are the circumstances under which it seems to want to surge. It only surges now in the morning time, not when it first turns on and is warming up, but after it appears to have reached operating temperature, between 5-20 minutes after startup. I live in Northern CA, and the outside temperature in the mornings around 8 AM (summertime) are 70-80 degrees. When I get off from work in the evenings, temperatures usually are in the 95-105 degree range, and the surging DOES NOT occur.

Seems odd to me just how specific of circumstances this seems to happen, and I hope it can help diagnose what is causing this.

Fyi, the following link posted above doesn't appear to work anymore (the web address seems to have changed)

http://www.geocities.com/toyotashawn/bizzareidle.html

Any ideas for what might be causing this would be appreciated.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:46 AM

4 years to late but...

Originally Posted by ascardaci
Ok, so I have read through as many threads on this as I can find and I have been unable to diagnose this problem correctly. I have a 1989 Toyota Pickup 3.0L V6 4WD. For reference, as might be applicable to diagnosing this problem, the following are some of the repairs and maintenance that I have completed since I bought the pickup about 6 months ago:

Timing belt
Replaced Radiator
Replaced BVS (Bimetal Vacuum Switch, coolant temp operated)
Cleaned the throttle body
Replaced Fuel Injectors
Replaced several coolant bypass hoses and fuel vaccume lines; and visually inspected pretty much every vaccume/bypass hose on the vehicle since they have become accessible during the other maintenance.
Removed AC pressure line, and AC Radiator. (the system had no pressure, the pump was non functional, and I do not plan on bringing it back to functioning condition)

Starting a few months back, after completing some of this work on the engine, I started to notice this surging idle happening when the brake was applied. Based on the link provided in one of the links above, I adjusted the idle speed down (all the way down infact), and this appeared to do the trick ..... initially. However, then I started noticing this happening again, did some more reading on the threads, and got one of the Lisle No Spill Funnels to burp the cooling sustem. I have done that now, and am feeling confident about not having air in the cooling system. However, I still have the surging idle while braking, with no change to how it was happening prior to burping the system. The following are the circumstances under which it seems to want to surge. It only surges now in the morning time, not when it first turns on and is warming up, but after it appears to have reached operating temperature, between 5-20 minutes after startup. I live in Northern CA, and the outside temperature in the mornings around 8 AM (summertime) are 70-80 degrees. When I get off from work in the evenings, temperatures usually are in the 95-105 degree range, and the surging DOES NOT occur.

Seems odd to me just how specific of circumstances this seems to happen, and I hope it can help diagnose what is causing this.

Fyi, the following link posted above doesn't appear to work anymore (the web address seems to have changed)

http://www.geocities.com/toyotashawn/bizzareidle.html

Any ideas for what might be causing this would be appreciated.
so I think what was happening here is happening to mine and I think that link explained it because my surging only happens when the engine is cold and my rpms are above 1000. That link worked for me and explained why. It is also reposted two or three posts from the link but I will reiterate.
the ecu has a redundancy in it that if the idle is above 1000 rpm it will cut the fuel injectors off and on causing the idle. I am super glad I found this before I went and replaced the brake booster. It just didn’t make sense that the booster had a leak when cold and after warm up it went away. The idle on my warm engine is 800 but when that cold start injector is running it’s around 1200. This post is for the people that have looked everywhere and can’t find the answer. Answer is it is normal and if you want it to stop, allow the truck to warm up!