Sponsored by: DashLynx

Supra to 3vz wiring harness Possibles.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Supra to 3vz wiring harness Possibles.

Starting this thred for a few reasons of my own and for others
In the future modes of the 3.slow and I want some input from those that have and the Supra/5mge/7mge owners/techs

My reason is my wiring harness in my rig is so old and oxidized its almost impossible to solder w/o doing some major prep, I also think a engine replacement/rebuild would destroy the harness in it anyways.

Ive picked up a few books on Supra engines and as usual they are so vague on most details (Not the FSM), After reviewing them though I wonder why Toy was so stupid to put the EFI system on the 3vz as they did when they already had better on simular cylinder and displacement EFI setup's and I doubt cost would have been much of a difference over R & D for what they did use.

But I have some questions for those that know the 5/7 MGE people.
1. WHT is TEMS, cant find it anywhere but there is a wiring diagram for it.
2. What year/engine models had the variable voltage fuelpumps, By my find its ony the 7mtge, Not the 5mgte.
3. On the 5 and 7MGE's they used 3 control lines from the fuelinjectors to the ECU insted of the 2 or paralleld-series setup the 3vz has, What cylinder injectors are shared on the 5 and 7mge?. (The 3vz are like 1,3,5 and 2,4,6).

These questions are on or about the 5m-7m'ge, Not the turbo versions though the 5MGTE would seem to be the perfect swap for those that want to turbo as its set up looks the same as the 22re to 22ret conversion, And This Idea at the moment is for the VAFM setups but the KarmenVortex's are not out of the question.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ^VooDoo^
After reviewing them though I wonder why Toy was so stupid to put the EFI system on the 3vz as they did when they already had better on simular cylinder and displacement EFI setup's and I doubt cost would have been much of a difference over R & D for what they did use.
Thread Drift - not sure I understand how you arrived at the above statement? What other engines SHOULD have Toyota used?

Im not familiar with the 3VZ's EFI. I ASSUME that its a "flapper" style like the 22REs, not a "vortex" (aka hotwire) sensor like more modern EFIs are.

The "flappger" AFM is a modified version of the Bosch LJetronic setup. Check out the Charles Probst book on Bosch LJetronic for tons of info.

Bear in mind that the cost of computing power in the late 70s and 80s is VERY different than it is today. For a real shocker - take a look at the "computers" used on the Apollo moon trips. Wow! It would take some cojones to go to the Moon in a bucket like that today. Or for that matter to ride the 1970's era space shutle...

Bank fire EFI was common back when computing power and 02 sensor resolution is not what it is today. The EPA regs werent as tight so it didnt have to be as clean. Also, costs are born out over hundred of thousands of vehicles. Shaving a few cents can add up FAST.

Take the WBEGO. Honda sticks em in every car (becuase of their lean burn tech) but AFAIK, no one else does. Thanks to Honda we now have inepensive WBEGO meters ($350). Back in the day the WBEGO to have was a Horbidia (sp) and I think those were THOUSANDS.

Now adays ODBII makes it real easy to get a Scanner (about $300) and you can see everything the engine is doing. Back in 1985 that would have cost you 10 grand to do or more.

Look at the progression of EFI.

I once priced out all the neato HKS add on boxes for EFI and the number was like $4000 (in 1990). Today one can probably buy a full bore stand alone EFI for far less.

Oh yeah - most people doing the swap get a "car" not an engine.

The pull the harness out of the donor Supra.
They get the Supra FSM and Elec Diagram (factory one!)

The typical path is to pull ALL the wires outof BOTH harnesses
The RECEPTOR vehicle's harness runs everythign BUT the EFI
The Donor's harness runs ALL of the EFI.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im must be a bad writer, I know I goofed on the title after It was saved, Cant fix it.
This reply and the few private msg I got are completely off what I was asking for, I notice there is no option anymore to delete such thred so I could start again so...... Ill use what I got here.

So to the point, I want to use a 5mge or 7mge engine wiring harness on my 3vz but I need some questions answered so I can pick the best one or fit to use.

1. WHT is TEMS, cant find it anywhere but there is a wiring diagram for it.
2. What year/engine models had the variable voltage fuelpumps, By my find its ony the 7mtge, Not the 5mgte.
3. On the 5 and 7MGE's they used 3 control lines/banks from the fuelinjectors to the ECU insted of the 2 or paralleld-series setup the 3vz has, What cylinder injectors are banked together/shared on the 5 and 7mge?. (The 3vz are like 1,3,5 and 2,4,6).
Old 05-07-2007, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TEMS is irrelevant for your purposes; it refers to Toyota Electronically Modulated Suspension. It adjusts the strut dampening by way of solenoid controlled valving. The system uses speed sensor input, steering pressure input and brake light input to set suspension to firm or soft.

You're not going to be able to use the 5M or 7M harnesses without major modification; both are G series twin cam motors that use cam position inputs. The injectors are sequentially fired on the 7M, don't know about the 5M. The distributor on 3VZ is very simple and lacks the cam lobe input IIRC. You'd be better off replacing the corroded sections of your existing harness, IMHO.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toyota never used batch fire in the supra
the supra does have 2 speed pump 9 volts reg and switchs to 11
alot of peoepl just by pass this since it makes tuning alot eayer on the dyno

what5 are you trying to do