Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Sudden, put tranny in gear and acts like it's in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sudden, put tranny in gear and acts like it's in neutral

I'm gonna start with what I think caused the problem. I went out in the woods this weekend and Hit a big hole, long story short. I think I got something wet. The truck had a rough idle and it sputtered real bad if I gave it any good amount of gas. Acted like it was missing. So the next day I went off a hunch and got spark plugs, wires and a dizzy cap. I only did the three spark plugs and wires on the air box side and the cap. It fixed the sputter problem. Drove it home and when I put it in reverse I noticed what I thought were the lights dimming. When I got in the parking spot I put it in R, N, D and back and forth for a minute to see if the lights were actually dimming or not, and they were. So I cut the truck of and went in thinking it's probably the alt. Get in it the next morning put it in R and it acted like it was in neutral. Put it in N, D, and back in R, it went like normal. Backed out, put it in drive. Went fine. pulled around the the neighborhood. Slowed down a little. Went to go. It acted like it was in neutral again? I layed on the gas and it started to pull a little bit, just enough to get it back into the spot. So I got a ride to work, came back. It was cold that morning so I thought maybe I'd try to let it warm up a little bit. Let it warm up for a half hour and the same thing. It acted like it was in neutral. I put it in four wheel and it went fine R and D. Took it out and it's been fine ever since. I've been driving for the past three days with out a problem. It's automatic V6. Is this a sign to start gathering parts for a manual swap because the auto is about to go out or what. If any body has had this problem I would love some feedback. I don't want it to happen while I'm at a stop light or something.

Please help!

Oh and the black wire to the dizzy looked like it burnt up a little so I cut the burnt piece out and soldered a new piece in. Don't know if it has anything to do with it, just figured I'd throw it in.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check you batt and alt, you'd be surprised what an almost dead battery will make a vehicle with EFI and auto trans do. Cheap and easy stuff first.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:10 AM

Check tranny fluid level also.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:33 AM

The first thing I did was check the fluid. I got all the stuff to change it today. I noticed today that when I turn the heat off the radio gets louder. So I'm thinking either the bat. or alt. is definitely going out. But still Don't know if that has anything do do with the tranny problem.