Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

stupid pilot bearing

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stupid pilot bearing

Ok, so I broke the first pilot bearing removal tool, then I bought another one. This time the inside race of the bearing rips out...

plink plink plink go the bearings... Lovely~ Now I have to try anf get the outside race out -- Needless to say i tried to break it, cut it, and pull it to no avail.

I finally put an air die grinder with a stone on it to get the thing out of the there.

My god! What a PITA - It took us 6.5 hours for the entire job and 3 of those were on the bearing.

FYI - I used a perfection clutch system and a new flywheel. I took the tranny/xfer case, front DS, and x-member out in one piece. I used a big 4 ton floor jack with a regular top and no tranny adapter because I could not find one locally yesterday.

IT CAN BE DONE

~Kat

Happy Independence Day Everyone!
Old 07-04-2007, 11:08 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Congratulations on making it to hell and back..lol!

Taking the driveline out w/the rest of the assembly? Both front and rear? Oh wait....yours is 2wd. That makes sense. Wasn't it a pain, though? I mean with the driveline floppin' around on you?

BTW, I had to do the same on my pilot bearing. Yep...made the job twice as long....almost.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used a small butane torch to heat mine up then sprayed it with PB blaster and a puller took about the same time to get that bugger out as it did for you I greased the hell out of it when I put the new one back in.

Last edited by CyMoN; 05-13-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:21 PM

This was on a 4x4 93 v6 Pickup. It was the front driveshaft that was still attached to the xfer case. I disconnected the rear one and just swung it out of the way.

I couldnt get my torch working to get heat on it.

Kat
Old 07-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
When we did my clutch, we lowered the tranny,t-case (and crossmember) and front driveshaft all connected with a regular floor jack.
was a pita but it works
The pilot bearing was also a pain for us. But it only took us like 20 mins to get out.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:38 PM

show off
Old 07-04-2007, 02:10 PM

I also had the tranny out when I did mine made things a little easier still was a pita.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Seems the pilot bearing on our trucks/engines is just a bitch to get out.
wierd..

Sorry kat for rubbin it in
Old 07-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Banned for being an asshat

Talking

Katie, an official "Thanks" for proving to me that someone else was having a day that was more frustrating.

Why?? *Rigs going to the dealership for a tranny inspection/estimate for the warranty company, for the seal bearing leak on my auto, because apparently there's a clause about doing your own work, even if you're ASE qualified, with a Father who's a master tech/instructor.

Get 'er done and post a vid!!

Here's what we did yesterday!!
BwaaaappppBwaapppBwapppp
[GVIDEO]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2195898149969959609&q=freshly+tune d&total=287&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plinde x=0[/GVIDEO]

Maybe you outta do what I'm about to, go out and light off some legal fireworks, and NO, not anywhere near your rig.

Hope everyone's having a Great 4th of July!! Party On!!

Last edited by Four Runner; 07-04-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:34 PM

When I did my clutch my pilot bearing was siezed on to the shaft of the tranny. We were hanging on to the tranny/transfer case and trying to yank it off. The pilot bearing wouldn't come through the fingers of the old clutch. That was a 2 hour job with a lot of F#'s.

We set up a couple of old tires on one side of the truck and passed a ladder under the truck with a block on it so one could lift on the ladder and manouver the tranny around. There was a lot of wedging and prying to get the bearing off the shaft.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:06 PM

dgomes - that sounds like an issue I hope to never have to deal with - I'll bet you were pissed when you finally figured why it wouldn't slide out.

I tried the grease and hammer a socket with tape on it method as well - I want to know who suggested that method and give them a piece of my mind. That was terrible.

Off to play with fireworks on the beach in a while!

woo hoo

Kat
Old 07-04-2007, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by justinking060310
dgomes - that sounds like an issue I hope to never have to deal with - I'll bet you were pissed when you finally figured why it wouldn't slide out.

I tried the grease and hammer a socket with tape on it method as well - I want to know who suggested that method and give them a piece of my mind. That was terrible.

Off to play with fireworks on the beach in a while!

woo hoo

Kat

we use that method and use a peice of wood dowel works great.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:49 PM

I also had a piece of steel turned down to fit the inside of the pilot bearing to "punch" it out with grease....but I didn't have to do it that way.. lol
Old 07-05-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CyMoN
I used a small butane torch to heat mine up then sprayed it with PB blaster and a pulled took about the same time to get that bugger out as it did for you I greased the hell out of it when I put the new one back in.
Propane/butane torches! They work great for a lot of things indeed. They suck snot in the winter, though....as that's when I was doing mine...last Jan. The cylinder just gets cold and the gas doesn't get very hot. It's enough to light a cigarette, but that's about it. Well, that and singe your mustache.

This was on a 4x4 93 v6 Pickup.
What? 2wd's don't have transfer cases? (me = goob)
Old 07-05-2007, 09:34 PM

Ok, so I broke the first pilot bearing removal tool, then I bought another one. This time the inside race of the bearing rips out...

plink plink plink go the bearings... Lovely~ Now I have to try anf get the outside race out -- Needless to say i tried to break it, cut it, and pull it to no avail.

I finally put an air die grinder with a stone on it to get the thing out of the there.

My god! What a PITA - It took us 6.5 hours for the entire job and 3 of those were on the bearing.

FYI - I used a perfection clutch system and a new flywheel. I took the tranny/xfer case, front DS, and x-member out in one piece. I used a big 4 ton floor jack with a regular top and no tranny adapter because I could not find one locally yesterday.

IT CAN BE DONE

~Kat

Happy Independence Day Everyone!
I used surfboard wax to fill up the pilot bearing hole and use a bolt to pack it up to easily take mines out.I even told my son to do the other crank by himself.Less mess than using grease and you can use the wax again.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried using the grease method as well. All that did was punch out the the rubber seals and grease just came through the bearings... big mess and one stuck pilot bearing.

I ended up just smashing the hell out of the inner race until it broke past the bearings and fell out (with all the bearings)... then used a dremel to cut through the outer race as close to the crank wall as possible then used a punch to just break it in half.

I think that took about 3 or 4hrs. I was mad... Then 4 more days to install, pull, install, pull and install the tranny again.. what a nightmare that clutch was.

alls good now.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:46 AM
Contributing Member

I am replacing my bearing, as well as everything else including the transmission. I been putting it off because of the pain of the pilot bearing. God, grease, torch. I hope on of the three works. robert
Old 07-06-2007, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by tortis
I am replacing my bearing, as well as everything else including the transmission. I been putting it off because of the pain of the pilot bearing. God, grease, torch. I hope on of the three works. robert
Try filling yours with surfboard wax or any wax like from a candle and fill it up and get a bolt that fits perfect inside the pilot bearing and keep filling it up by tapping the bolt full of wax into the bearing.Its gonna come out that easy.
I even was sponsored by an inventer of a removal tool that fell apart.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:47 PM

I cleaned out the grease and welded a bolt and hook to it and used a slide hammer on mine.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:28 PM

Another easy trick

I know it been a while since anyone has posted, but maybe this will help someone searching for some ideas. I used 2" x 3" pieces of newspaper that I soaked in water. Jammed them in through the bearing bore and drove it out with a 3/8 socket extension. It took a total of ten minutes. Grease won't work 99% of the time with ball bearings. Hope this helps somebody. Cheers.

Quick Reply: stupid pilot bearing