Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

stupid electrical

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stupid electrical

ok so a couple months ago i got a new alternator (O'reilys) ive been having a problem of my battery light and my brake light flashing at me on my gauge cluster, when i turn on my blinker (left or right) my radio shuts off and my interior lights shut off for a split second then comes back on and my voltmeter does drop when all this bs is going on. i just replaced my battery which seemed to help for like a day. ive checked my grounds and everything like that no problems that i see does anyone have any input. ive been told that i could have gotten a bad alternator? would that make sense?
Old 01-15-2014, 05:09 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Goubenator
ok so a couple months ago i got a new alternator (O'reilys) ive been having a problem of my battery light and my brake light flashing at me on my gauge cluster, when i turn on my blinker (left or right) my radio shuts off and my interior lights shut off for a split second then comes back on and my voltmeter does drop when all this bs is going on. i just replaced my battery which seemed to help for like a day. ive checked my grounds and everything like that no problems that i see does anyone have any input. ive been told that i could have gotten a bad alternator? would that make sense?
Did you thoroughly double-check your connections?
Do your connections have bare metal contacting bare metal, not gray metal?

Do you have a volt-meter? Next to our senses, that is the best and most important troubleshooting tool- especially for stupid electrical - LOL!

See my signature for test points to help you narrow down the problem in stupid charging system.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check for a short. Fault may be unrelated to alternator install.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by milkybar
Check for a short. Fault may be unrelated to alternator install.
Yep, that, too. A short would drop your Voltage very low. So you really need a multi-meter.

Originally Posted by Goubenator
...when i turn on my blinker (left or right) my radio shuts off and my interior lights shut off for a split second
It does not happen when you turn on your headlights? Then, yes like Milky bar says^^^

IF and only IF it happens ONLY with blinker and not other lights, yes, likely a mild (Not zero ohm to ground) short in blinker circuit.

Which side blinker makes it happen? Focus on that first. Check trailer towing harness if installed, blinker sockets and wiring for shorting to ground.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:56 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You replaced the alternator ?? Now the battery ?/

You checked the grounds ?? Just how did you do this??

So the charging system problem light comes on when the turn signals are used.

What is your system voltage ?? Bottom line your charging system is unable to handle the extra demand on the system when turn signals are used.

Poor connections . aged brittle cables

Corroded light sockets or bulbs adding to the load of the circuit.

Just what is it your working on??