Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

stuck speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stuck speedometer

Well, here's the problem:

The thing is, I'm stopped and the engine is turned off. I just oiled the speedo cable a few weeks ago with graphite chain lube and the speedo bounce went away. All was fine until today, where it was reading 55 even though I was only going 20, and when I would stop it would show I was going 20.

I should add that the only thing I've done to it since oiling the cable was I cleaned a but of the EGR today and disconnected the positive battery terminal for a few hours.

update: Just went outside and checked on it and it had sunk down to 10 MPH. I popped open the hood and jiggled the speedo cable around and unclipped it from the cable clips. It went down to normal.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 02-23-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so you fixed it?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by zachw90
so you fixed it?
Not really. I took it out for a test drive and it's inaccurate still. It's 5mph to fast (which it wasn't before).

After I lubed the cable, I posted this thread:https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ension-203881/

Could there be a relation between the twisting and the speedometer getting stuck? If so, wouldnt I have noticed the affects before now?

Last edited by DupermanDave; 02-23-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
most important thing is to make sure there's no significant bends in that cable. i just broke one because it had a kink i didn't see.

if you want to check your speedo operation, you can use a cordless drill in reverse. i used a Qtip in the drill, and jammed it in the speedo drive. the Qtip gives a little flex so you're not shaking the whole cluster around. (a broken piece of square cable end is best)

if the meter is sticking when you use the drill, sounds like you got crud in the gears. compressed air can could help.

if it's operating like a meter should, you can check the cable. drive around with the cluster uninstalled, and watch the tip of the cable. feel it with your finger if you want. it doesn't really spin that fast. i just went through this last week when i had to replace a cable. turned out a bend in the cable, from how i was routing it, was to blame. it really needs to go straight in at the meter, and have no tight bends anywhere. good luck!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:43 AM

After driving today, I should say that the speedometer is slow. As I accelerate up to 45 miles per hour, the speedometer takes about 30 seconds to slowly climb up to that speed. Once it reaches 45, it stays there.

When I stopped at work today, it is still stuck where it is in that picture. I tried jiggling the cable and disconnecting it from the clip and giving it some slack, but it's still stuck.

I used some graphite chain oil (it was really REALLY thin stuff) that I found at SEARS. It came in a little bottle that looks like a marker. It came in a yellow bubble package. Anyone ever see this? Is this the right stuff to use? The packaging said it was good for outdoors and to be used with bike/motorcycle chains.

Here's the package to the product similar to what I bought: http://www.panefproducts.com/images/products/l300.jpg

If that's not the right stuff to use (which I'm sure it is) then it's possible that it leaked out or got dirty, but if that was the case, wouldn't the speedometer start bouncing again and stick more while driving?

-edit
according to this site, I bought and used the right stuff, because this is exactly what I used: http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....P2.50~~~~~~~F#

I really don't want to lube the thing again, so I'm looking for confirmation that this stuff was good to use. If it was, then I'll work on removing the cable again and try and rethread it through the engine bay and hook it up again.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 02-24-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
You say you had it routed badly?

Re route it! I lubed mine last week and pulled it out of the engine bay (I used synth chain lube almost waterlike). Thank goodness for the bl
Old 02-24-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The speedometer cable is either binding or the speedometer it self is going bad. I would recheck the cable and make sure there are no tight bends in it.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jay351
You say you had it routed badly?

Re route it! I lubed mine last week and pulled it out of the engine bay (I used synth chain lube almost waterlike). Thank goodness for the bl
I woudn't say it's routed badly. I tried as best as I could the first time to get it threaded properly. But it was still missing a clip (not aligned). I'm going to go back through on saturday or wednesday and see what's what. I'm going to look for some actual chain lube and not just graphite lube and try lubing it again.