86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

strange leak question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strange leak question

So i have a strange leak, inside my cab,(87 2x4 22r 4 speed) if your sitting in the drivers seat, its to the left of the clutch peddle, i thought it was just water, it was raining for awile, but i used some silicone to seal the window(wich was leaking pretty bad), stoped the leak, for awile, added some more silicone, stoped the leak, now, the last few days the leak is back, but there is no rain or water, except the morning dew.

So i look under my dash, and it looks to be coming from ither, the clutch pedel rod, or from something above it.

My question is, is there any thing in that area that could be connected to the heater core or something like that, that can leak? Im pretty sure it cant be anything heater related, because when it does leak its very little and only does it sometimes.

i marked the fluid line on my clutch master to see if it goes down, that will answer my own question, but im stil spectacle about it being heater related.

Sorry about being so long about it, any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Joe
Old 02-08-2008, 04:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
probably your clutch master leaking. they commonly leak there
Old 02-08-2008, 06:27 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
What is the fluid like? Is it oily or watery? If it is oily, then I would say it is the clutch cylinder leaking. There is a hole in the firewall for the hood cable to go through and if the grommet breaks then there can be a slight leak to the left of the clutch pedal when it rains. My truck does not have a grommet there and when I wash it or when there is heavy snow or rain, I get a few drops running down the floor to the left of the clutch pedal.

The heater core is in the middle of the cab and the hoses are closer to the passenger side, so I doubt it would have anything to do with that.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:59 PM

good deal, i always hope for the worst so i wont be so pissed off, but i went out there and (very uncomfy) stuck my head under there with a flash light to see a really gumbed up nasty looking clutch shaft. the guy i bought it from was the , if it aint broke dont fix it or maintain it type, so its going to take me awile to get the kinks out. Im tempted to jsut sell it and buy a 4x4. my 900 score is becomeing a money pit You get what you pay for...
Old 02-09-2008, 08:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 87toy.
good deal, i always hope for the worst so i wont be so pissed off, but i went out there and (very uncomfy) stuck my head under there with a flash light to see a really gummed up nasty looking clutch shaft. the guy i bought it from was the , if it ain't broke don't fix it or maintain it type, so its going to take me awhile to get the kinks out. I'm tempted to just sell it and buy a 4x4. my 900 score is becoming a money pit You get what you pay for...
No reason to get all pissed over a $20 part. These trucks are getting to be 20 plus years old and older. I don't care what make or model vehicle exist, when it reaches 20 years of age, parts are going to need changing!

When the clutch master went out in my 84, I replaced the slave and flexible line at the same time. When the master or slave cyl goes out, the other is always close behind to failing. Replace it all and be good for the next 20 years.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by 84sr5yoty
No reason to get all pissed over a $20 part. These trucks are getting to be 20 plus years old and older. I don't care what make or model vehicle exist, when it reaches 20 years of age, parts are going to need changing!

When the clutch master went out in my 84, I replaced the slave and flexible line at the same time. When the master or slave cyl goes out, the other is always close behind to failing. Replace it all and be good for the next 20 years.

i know, i was not pissed about the clutch, but i would of been pissed if i had to rip my whole dash out, well at least irritated about it. its a great truck for 20 years.