86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Straight piped...engine damage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight piped...engine damage?

Well ever since I've rebuilt my engine it is hard to hear its running. It has a new exhaust on it from the previous owner. Not realy new..but when I uncover the dirt its still shinny. Anyway, its all stock. The exhaust is like 1 7/8" and sounds weak. I want to actually hear my engine. So, can I just chop off the muffler and have it straight piped? I have no cat either. So I'm worried about maybe burning valves...or is that even possible with a straw as an exhaust...LOL.

Anyway, should I or not? I plan on getting a header eventually and a good muffler.

Will it damage my engine? Thanks...

I'll definitely make a before and after vid
Old 10-23-2008, 04:29 PM

Oh yeah...I'm not worried about noise or sounding like a ricer. Honestly my 2wd will run circles around your 4x4 <-Don't bash the 2wd crowd
Old 10-23-2008, 04:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about burning valves as I would worry about killing backpressure which the engine needs some of. I'd suggest for a stock upgrade, the stock manifold and down pipe, 2.25" pipe to a decent, appropriately sized muffler and 2 or 2.25" pipe out the side.

Otherwise, things are kind of hard to describe, but let's go with this:
Backpressure helps the exhaust pulse from one cylinder create a negative pressure in the system which helps 'suck' the exhaust gasses from the next cylinder.
No backpressure won't hurt the engine, but could hurt the power output.
That's why headers were developed and why there are different designs for our 4 bangers: 4-4, 4-1, 4-2-1. Each header type has a particular RPM range it works best in. 4-4 would be an all out wide open throttle drag engine, 4-1 is for a mid-high rpm engine, 4-2-1 is best suited for a mid rpm engine.

Guess what? Your stock 22re has, from the factory, a 4-2-1 exhaust, but the pipe diameters aren't the optimum size for max power.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
Oh yeah...I'm not worried about noise or sounding like a ricer. Honestly my 2wd will run circles around your 4x4 <-Don't bash the 2wd crowd
If I ever see you on the street... let's race!

I'll point at that hill over there and say "straight up the side, that's the track".

Old 10-23-2008, 04:34 PM

but otherwise, how's the engine running?
Old 10-23-2008, 04:41 PM

Haha thanks! I know I need some back pressure but wasn't sure how much. I'll probably chop it off and add a crappy $30 muffler on

Engine is running good. For some reason it would burn oil out of the exhaust when it sat idling. Doesn't do that anymore. I have almost 1k miles on her. Shes quite peppy And I noticed I was low on coolant today...probably something related to my idle....I don't think she is burning or losing it because she (yes she) isn't leaking and no smoke out of the exhaust. She's good and I'm happy. Don't know the gas mileage yet as I haven't been paid in over 2 weeks...and I got checks instead of cash for my birthday...LOL
Old 10-23-2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
If I ever see you on the street... let's race!

I'll point at that hill over there and say "straight up the side, that's the track".

Seen the new knight rider? Yeah I've got nitrous
Old 10-23-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Yeah my buddy brags about this, he has a hard time comprehending that 3:93 and a hell of allot less weight will increase speed. One of my mud tires and rim weight the same as 3 of this little tires and rims.

You probably won't have a problem, why not a glasspack it muffles it a little. And their cheap. Continue to route the exhuast out from under the truck, CO has a tendency to sneak up without people even realizing it.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:01 PM

ya your probably going to need some backpressure. my buddy chopped his exhaust off on his 3.0 and it lost a lot of power. I would say go with a supper trap muffler. you can adjust back pressure, its pretty cheap and it sounds sweet
Old 10-23-2008, 05:10 PM

funny someone mentions supertrapp. got one on my motorcycle. sounds mean, like a ducati sneaking up on you.

@muddpigg- the whole 2wd is quicker than 4wd is a no brainer. same engine, same truck... 4wd has at least a few hundred pounds of transfer case and front driveline components not to mention bigger tires. yeah, no wonder the 2wd is quicker and faster.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Yeah my buddy brags about this, he has a hard time comprehending that 3:93 and a hell of allot less weight will increase speed. One of my mud tires and rim weight the same as 3 of this little tires and rims.

You probably won't have a problem, why not a glasspack it muffles it a little. And their cheap. Continue to route the exhuast out from under the truck, CO has a tendency to sneak up without people even realizing it.
LOL...actually I have 4.10's. And chirp the tire in 2nd

My plan was to put on a glass pack (not sure what they look like though) and route it in front of the wheel

Yeah...I've had a CO problem sneak up in my old truck before. Mostly just in the back of the truck with the canopy on

Thanks Chris...I think I will too. Power isn't really an issue since its pretty good already
Old 10-23-2008, 05:12 PM

You have a motorcycle? What do you have?

My brothers truck wieghs 1200 lbs more...so I give him ...its fun

At least we can get to 65mph right?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:13 PM

Haha thanks! I know I need some back pressure but wasn't sure how much. I'll probably chop it off and add a crappy $30 muffler on

Engine is running good. For some reason it would burn oil out of the exhaust when it sat idling. Doesn't do that anymore. I have almost 1k miles on her. Shes quite peppy And I noticed I was low on coolant today...probably something related to my idle....I don't think she is burning or losing it because she (yes she) isn't leaking and no smoke out of the exhaust. She's good and I'm happy. Don't know the gas mileage yet as I haven't been paid in over 2 weeks...and I got checks instead of cash for my birthday...LOL
likely, the burning oil at idle is from valve seals, or the new rings breaking in. if it's gone away, no problem.
a little coolant loss can be expected, but if it continues, get on top of it quick.

not sure how birthday checks affect gas mileage, but maybe gramma money buys more gas.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:14 PM

LOL...actually I have 4.10's. And chirp the tire in 2nd

My plan was to put on a glass pack (not sure what they look like though) and route it in front of the wheel

Yeah...I've had a CO problem sneak up in my old truck before. Mostly just in the back of the truck with the canopy on

Thanks Chris...I think I will too. Power isn't really an issue since its pretty good already
glass packs look like a tube swelling out around the pipe.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:19 PM

You have a motorcycle? What do you have?

My brothers truck wieghs 1200 lbs more...so I give him ...its fun

At least we can get to 65mph right?
here's a pic of what the bike looks like from the factory:

stock was dual pipes on each side of the rear wheel, but mine has a single 2.25" supertrapp on the left side of the bike.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:34 PM

Oh wow...now that thing is a beast! At least its a honda

Okay...I cut it off and wow! So effing loud...LOL. I'll probably get a ticket Anyway, if you want to get attention then people will definitely look. Its kinda fun to scare people too...haha

Okay I know what a glass pack is...you can literally see through it right?
Old 10-23-2008, 07:38 PM

what do you know of my bike to call it a beast? huh?
Old 10-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i cut my exaust off after the cat.... well i had a cherry bomb on it but it fell off. lol... its loud as hell and it runs like a raped ape....
Old 10-23-2008, 07:39 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasspack
Old 10-23-2008, 07:48 PM

Running the engine without an exhaust manifold the cold air can warp the valves after you shut the engine off.

Quick Reply: Straight piped...engine damage?