Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Stock height replacement leaf springs

Old 01-06-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock height replacement leaf springs

I've been researching for the last 2 days to find stock replacement leaf springs. I am not looking to lift my 4runner just something to get rid of the sag. I have already done the zuk mod with 12" 125lbs springs but I'm not happy with the ride quality or excess noise these create. I am open to suggestions. Chevy 63" are not an option My 4runner is in mint condition and all original and do not want to compromise it.

option 1 OME +2" leafs and removing a leaf or two, but I'm reluctant because I heard these leafs give more than the advertised 2".

option 2 going to a local spring shop or alcan, or deaver and having a custom set made. I assume it will be expensive some where around $500

option 3 I found this website listed before in a thread. I am curious of the quality and if anyone has used these beforehttp://www.customsuspension.com/stor...oducts_id=1209 price seem high

option 4 head to a local junk yard and picking up a set of leaves from anther vehicle and making my own set.

opinions please

Last edited by conquistador; 01-06-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Ill tell you what I did on my 90 pickup. I went with air bags, and I really like them. I, at the time, used this truck for towing and was able to adjust the ride height with the bags loaded or not. Its kinda handy to not only adjust the height front to back, but also level it left to right. Im not into off roading, other then driving across my pasture, so they might not work well for off roading.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Stock height don't exist...that's why you can't find them.

All springs will settle after awhile. Most go with the 2" springs and after settling will end up being about 1" of lift...which is perfect.

Or go zuk mod and add in coil springs and keep your old leafs.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 AM

Take your original leafs to a spring shop and have them re-arched. Problem solved.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by matstaley
Problem solved.
For a year...maybe. Spring steel never returns to it's origional shape...hence why they call it spring steel. Once a spring goes flat, no matter what is done, an arch will never be put back in that stayes arched. Your wasting your money by rearching.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
long leaf add a leaf , less than $100.00 http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/toyota-...989-p5810.aspx
Old 01-07-2013, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Richard
long leaf add a leaf , less than $100.00 http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/toyota-...989-p5810.aspx

I like this thanks for the link. Are you running this combo?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:55 AM

I've already done the zuk and am not happy with the results. Too springy so to speak and noisy for my liking.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I was able to get stock springs out of General Spring in Kansas City.

I could also buy the same springs from the local spring shop but got a much better price online shipped to my house.:wabbit2:
Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 PM

Shaeff found these for $311 shipped, but it doesn't look like anyone has tried them yet. I'm in the same boat with the sag. I thought I found a new PAIR of Skyjackers for 132$ but the website pulled a bait and switch.

You posted about the ZUK, so I hope this isn't too much of a detour...but I bet the noise is from the spring rubbing against the bumpstops. I guess you didn't want to cut the upper bump stop, and I understand why you didn't. I tend to think of my Runner as more than just an old truck... I have a hard time making the call on irreversible mods. Even though I could probably weld the upper bumpstop back, it's still a hard decision to make! It has served well for 25 years in bone stock form and I respect that! Having said that, I bet the noise would go away if you trimmed it down to about an inch below the frame. Another option is to fab or buy some legit mounts top and bottom for the coil and seat them better. I'm still trying to decide after over a month of research. I guess that point is moot though, cause you described the ride as "springy". Are your shocks in decent shape? Can you elaborate on this please?

You might want to think about bagging the rears. Seems like a nice solution for adjusting for loads and even long term spring sag. You can also cross-link them to help out your flexability a bit. Lines can leak though. I was thinking of running hard-line if I did it. I wish more 4wheelers would post peticulars on their 1st gen 4Runner bagging experience.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by JodyR
Shaeff found these for $311 shipped, but it doesn't look like anyone has tried them yet. I'm in the same boat with the sag. I thought I found a new PAIR of Skyjackers for 132$ but the website pulled a bait and switch.

You posted about the ZUK, so I hope this isn't too much of a detour...but I bet the noise is from the spring rubbing against the bumpstops. I guess you didn't want to cut the upper bump stop, and I understand why you didn't. I tend to think of my Runner as more than just an old truck... I have a hard time making the call on irreversible mods. Even though I could probably weld the upper bumpstop back, it's still a hard decision to make! It has served well for 25 years in bone stock form and I respect that! Having said that, I bet the noise would go away if you trimmed it down to about an inch below the frame. Another option is to fab or buy some legit mounts top and bottom for the coil and seat them better. I'm still trying to decide after over a month of research. I guess that point is moot though, cause you described the ride as "springy". Are your shocks in decent shape? Can you elaborate on this please?

You might want to think about bagging the rears. Seems like a nice solution for adjusting for loads and even long term spring sag. You can also cross-link them to help out your flexability a bit. Lines can leak though. I was thinking of running hard-line if I did it. I wish more 4wheelers would post peticulars on their 1st gen 4Runner bagging experience.

I actually have cut the upper bump stop and have a custom lower coil spring mount and still have noises. To me the springs are stiff enough the rear end feels too loose. My plan is to replace the springs or use that long add a leaf as suggested in the earlier posts. And re-weld the upper bump stop and put the old lower bump stop back on. I will also replacing all rear bushing with Energy suspension polyurethane.

I would advise to skip the zuk mod. Its more of a band aid and not a permanent solution. Others like it but I don't

Last edited by conquistador; 01-07-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:43 AM

OK. Thanks man.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:14 AM

I found a set of john r leaf springs from jc Whitney on e-bay for 149.00 last summer to put on my 87 4runner.With kyb twin tube shocks very smooth ride. I do not off road so cant comment on that aspect however i am very pleased with the manners on road. went from 10"( rim to fender) to 12". Just checked jc Whitney catalog and their not listed anymore so you may have to do some searching. They worked for me and I have loaded up the rear with allot of weight on occasion with no complaints.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 AM

Conquistador, have you tried the long add-a-leaf from the link above yet? I'm looking to get rid of the rear end sag but Im not ready to call alcan just yet
Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 AM

Wyoming9 - I missed your post earlier on the General Springs somehow... How those ride? How do they behave with a load on them?

They are 305$ shipped to me for a pair.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A previous owner put an add-a-leaf in my 4Runner and I'm very happy with how it rides and sits. I'm not sure if it's considered lifted, though.

Also, plenty of flex off road.

Last edited by Ocell; 01-31-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 AM

I have a buddy that has a 88 4runner. 100% mint. No rust no aftermarket stuff I mean mint. His rig is setting on 35" BFG A/T's with no lift. This is what he done.

To achieve a good stance in front he just cranked T-Bars for the rear he is running a adjustable air shock. He still has factory hardware so it's not modified in anyway.

You may wanna consider the air shocks. There very comfy, no noise, and 100% adjustable. There available at most auto part stores. And they can either level you out or even give you a rake. All depends on how much air you put in them.

Last edited by Toyota~Boy; 01-31-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:18 PM

I'm also interested to hear from wyoming as I'll be trying to solve my rear sag issue very shortly.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM

If you go the junk yard route, look for a set of spring packs from the toyota 1-ton dually. I am parting mine out to try on my 88 4-runner. There are 5 leaf springs/pack. Surely, these would take the typical sag out of the 4-runner. The measurement along the top leaf is the same, I believe, and they are 2 1/4"-ish wide. You might need longer U-bolts. I will likely do this soon and post it. Caveat - removing shackle hangers and spring pins in a junkyard (or at home), can be difficult as many know. I did the Zuk mod but am itching to try the swap.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by TUGoldenHurricane
Conquistador, have you tried the long add-a-leaf from the link above yet? I'm looking to get rid of the rear end sag but Im not ready to call alcan just yet

I haven't done anything yet. I to would like some feed back on the General Springs. My Runner is currently sitting in the garage waiting for Marlin Crawler to send a replacement master cylinder for the 8 month old one that began puking brake fluid last week. They might have the slowest shipping I have ever seen. They must still use the pony express. That is the last time I will ever buy from Marlin again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock height replacement leaf springs