Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Stock 2nd Gen 4Runner Buildup plan

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock 2nd Gen 4Runner Buildup plan

Hey y'all. I recently got a 94 4Runner with the 3.0 and 5speed. It is in decent shape inside and out. I won't be making this into an SASed rock crawler right now, but untill then I need some pointers for a build up. I already got a K&N air filter(lol...good start). Due to school, my funds are limited, but I will have about 900 buck in about a month or two.

I'm thinking about starting with a ProComp 4" lift, but I just bought a new set of 31.10.50 KO's so it will look kind of gay unless I can sell these and buy a new set. Was thinkin about just doing that block kit that 4Crawler.com has for about 2 inches. But I will need new shock(?) for that and I just bought a cheap stock set from Napa.

What do you guys think I should do and where should I start?
Thanks,
Percy
Old 08-09-2008, 10:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe a small body lift??
a stock 4runner will go lots of places.. if it were me and i wanted to get into wheeling i would get a locker in the rear and spend the rest on armor and a tow strap d rings ect...
it you want to just want the truck to look mean... then a small body lift and a bumper???

its all up to you..
you dont need a lift and 31 inch tires look great
Old 08-09-2008, 10:22 AM

I've been thinking about that too. You think just a 1" body or maybe a 2". Are they tough to install on the 2nd gen? What brand locker? This is a DD.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:16 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What do you want to do with the truck?

If it's to go offroad, then armor, gears/lockers, lift - in that order
Old 08-09-2008, 11:35 AM

yeah if your truck is rust free a body lift would a be a good sunday project... soak everything the night before.. but really stock these trucks do great... if you want to offroad i would lock .. best road manners locker would be the toyota e locker or a arb air locker..both gonna set you back about a grand plus they arnt for newbies to setup and install...a lockrite or aussie works good in the rear on the road and amazing offroad,,, its not as nice as a open diff but if you offroad it will be the best mod you can make..
a c.b is good to have and try joining a local club if you wanna get into wheeling. our local group goes out about once a week
Old 08-09-2008, 02:24 PM

My plan for the truck is a DD that I can take camping and such on the weekends. I live in the Serria's in upper California. I plan on building armor this and next semester. Bumpers, Sliders, and skid pans. Plus prolly a roof rack.
I'll have to save for that Locker. I think I'll keep the 31's for a while, but they say that you need at least 33's for the Rubi.
I've already got a CB goin. Yeah...these things really do rock off road.
Thanks for your responces.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:28 PM

def look into a locker a locker and 31s will go further open on 33s...
Old 08-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Just so you know, you can fit 33x10.50" tires stock with MINOR trimming of the inner fender.

Get your armor set, my sliders paid for themselves in one trip!
Get a rear locker, it will increase your trucks capability 10 fold.

Don't bother buying a 4" suspension lift (AKA bracket lift). These kits drop the front diff down 4" and keep the stock suspension travel. So you are not gaining anything but ground clearance under the frame. If you want to lift, do a small 1-2" suspension lift and a body lift.
Though, good eye on the procomp lift, their stage ll is about the best bracket lift you can buy for our trucks..
Old 08-09-2008, 08:11 PM

Okay. The locker is a must. I'll have to wait a little to save up for that. I think I'll talk to 4Crawler.com and see what a package deal for a 2" lift + 1" Body. Like I said I'll just build the armor my self (any good how-to sites?). Thinkin about a set of Downey Headers and a MSD ignition box. Is that a good start?
Old 08-09-2008, 08:14 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Sounds to me like you're dead set on spending money on lift, not listening to our recommendations, but it's your money and your rig, not ours ...
Old 08-09-2008, 08:34 PM

Okay. Yeah....I know. I'll learn. Do you all think I should build the armor after installing a body lift(will it be a huge difference?). I'll hold off on the suspension lift, Save for a Locker.

Last edited by Percy; 08-09-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
improve your traction first.
then body lift and armor at the same time.
and since suspension lift won't affect the body/armor it can be done later, if it even needs done at all.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by tc
What do you want to do with the truck?

If it's to go offroad, then armor, gears/lockers, lift - in that order
X2 I'm pretty much stock as far as suspension (rear shackles to get rid of rear sag). I've gone on a few pretty rough trails and can honestly say a lift would have done zero for me. Definately Armor first, i've got a rear Detroit and now I can go places that I don't want to because i'm worried about damaging things due to inadequate armor. Just a thought.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:53 PM

Okay. I think I see the trend. I'm sorry for being stubborn. No lift. I'll start building armor. All Pro makes some nice stuff...is that a good general design idea? One more thing...I can't really afford the ARB locker, but maybe a Detroit. Will that locker cause me to have bad premature tire wear? I'm running KO's.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The detroit shouldn't cause noticable wear. (borrowed from another site) The Detroit Locker maximizes traction by delivering 100% of the torque to both drive wheels. It is engineered to keep both wheels in a constant drive mode, and has the ability to automatically allow wheel speed differentiation when required
Old 08-10-2008, 05:31 AM

a aussie o r lockrite at only around 250...plus the install which you should get someone who knows how to get up diffs to do... but you can change your 3rd remember yourself... first time took me 3 hours solo...

my trail rig is totally stock but with a welded rear and 32 inch mud tires...i can get it places i wouldnt want to take it....

theres tons of pictures out there to give you ideas on building bumpers.sliders...just search search search,read,read,read
Old 08-10-2008, 05:53 AM

Like others, I would reccomend a locker first. I bought a aussie a week before I got the truck and had it in the first weekend. It was super easy to install and I've never touched a differential before. Oh yea, and it rocks!
Old 08-10-2008, 07:39 AM

I put a lockrite in mine and its been great, did wonders for its offroad capability and it rachets nicely on the pavement. Good bang for your buck (pardon the pun).

I gave my truck a date with the sawzall to remove rust from the fenders and gain clearance for 33x12.5 Goodyear Wranglers.

I also removed the sway bars as well for greater offroad performance and made a homebuilt snorkel to move the air intake further back (after nearly hydro-locking my engine).

I'm in the process of building sliders, wish I had put those on a long time ago as I suffered rocker damage in a few trips.

Keep it simple and see what works and doesn't work for you as you go.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:37 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Percy
Okay. Yeah....I know. I'll learn. Do you all think I should build the armor after installing a body lift(will it be a huge difference?).
I wish I had done a body lift before adding all the armor. Would have given me a lot more options now.

Also, I see you have a 3.0 ... if it goes and you want to put a 3.4L in, a body lift is highly recommended.

Originally Posted by Percy
I'll hold off on the suspension lift, Save for a Locker
Good plan
Old 08-10-2008, 06:54 PM

Great. Thanks you guys. What is the deal with the high pinion? If I change my 3rd what sould I get?...I think I'll go with the aussie or the lockright tho.

Quick Reply: Stock 2nd Gen 4Runner Buildup plan