Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Still wont run

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still wont run

I have been working on my 1988 4runner 22r. The engine was rebuilt and about 1500 miles later the head gasket blew. I replaced the gasket and now can't get the engine to run. Im getting fuel to the fuel filter and to the cold start injector. Im not sure if the fuel injectors are getting fuel I couldn't find the fuel line that goes to them and couldn't find a diagram showing the fuel system. The vehicle had been sitting up for about 15 years before having the engine rebuilt so I have replaced the fuel tank, fuel pump, filter, spark plugs, plug wires, distriburator cap, and rotor. The spark plugs are firing. I was told the injectors may not be firing and to test them i could remove the distriburator and turn it by hand. If they were firing I should hear them clicking while turning the distriburator. As I turned it i heard a clicking coming from the coil. This was just after it began to get dark so I turned all the lights off to be able to see what was arcing. The arc was coming from the coil. It was arcing from both of the small wires that connect to the coil, to the main coil wire. Once I reinstalled the distriburator and attempted to start the engine the arcing stopped. Is the arcing normal since the sparkplugs weren't connected or could the coil be my problem? I don't see any cracks in the coil but this doesn't seem normal. If anyone has any advice as to troubleshooting the engine it would sure be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Poppie51; 10-26-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you say the plugs are getting spark then the coil shouldn't be the issue. If you're unsure if you're getting fuel, I would turn it over a few times and then pull the plugs and see if they are wet or smell of gas. Even if they do there still could be a fuel issue, it may be you aren't getting enough. Same with the plugs, the spark could be there but it is not hot enough.

But if you think you are getting adequate fuel and spark, and you have had headgasket issues, you may want to check and compare compression across all cylinders.

Did you have any work done to the head? Are you reusing the factory hardware? Also how many miles on the motor and do you think it's ever had a rebuild before?