86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Step 1: New Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Step 1: New Stereo

Hello I just purchased m 4runner without a stereo. I have since purchased a nice new stereo and mounting kit from walmart. I am having difficulties because the mounting kit that I have does not help me mount my stereo securely, it just provides a more clean look when installing it.

My question is: If my 4runner didn't come with a stereo, when the last guy ripped it out should he have left the factory mount with the vehicle?

I am thinking that he has something that I need to mount this correctly. I have pictures see below. Basically, I have space on each side of the stereo and nothing that lines up to mount it (bolt or screw it down).

Its been awhile since I installed a stereo I know what I am doing just not what is assumed to 'be there'. Thanks!

The 4runner! (in case you missed it on 'post your pics'

Old 06-12-2008, 06:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by astyles

In the picture above, you'll notice two bolt holes to the right of the radio hole... there are also two holes on the left side. There are brackets that screw to the side of the radio chassis and to those holes. You're missing them. Best bet is a salvage yard. Otherwise, you might be able to find an install kit with plastic brackets, but not at wallyworld. check a 'real' stereo dealer.
I should mention that every DIN radio chassis has the holes necessary already built into it to bolt to the stock toyota radio bracket.

btw... nice looking truck.

Last edited by abecedarian; 06-12-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:41 PM

it looks like your missing a few pieces from the kit you bought from walmart, there should be a few "wings" that come off of the sides of the mounting kit so you can screw the kit into place in your dash. if i were you i would ditch the one you got from wal-mart and get one from www.crutchfield.com they will have one to specifically fit your rig with the wright brackets needed , plus the have chat on there site if you need anyhelp, and they are great folks to work with.

Last edited by 86blue4runner; 06-12-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:44 PM

I'm also going to say that I did not have to buy any install kit for the kenwood in my '91 or the pioneer in my '88.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:44 PM

Thanks guys I'm going to get a real kit and ditch the wally world stuff. The fact that the kit was cheap and didn't come with the necessary things threw me off.

Much appreciated and I'm glad to be here!
Old 06-12-2008, 06:46 PM

no problem. btw, where do you live?
Old 06-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yes you are missing the mounting brackets see this http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/869017.pdf
Old 06-12-2008, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abecedarian
In the picture above, you'll notice two bolt holes to the right of the radio hole... there are also two holes on the left side. There are brackets that screw to the side of the radio chassis and to those holes. You're missing them. Best bet is a salvage yard. Otherwise, you might be able to find an install kit with plastic brackets, but not at wallyworld. check a 'real' stereo dealer.
I should mention that every DIN radio chassis has the holes necessary already built into it to bolt to the stock toyota radio bracket.

btw... nice looking truck.
Yup, if you had those two brackets, you wouldn't even need that faceplate for the stereo to sit in there securely. I'm willing to bet they'd be easy to find at a junkyard or even on ebay. Also welcome to Yotatech

Last edited by Luvmeye22re; 06-12-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Toyotas do not need those lame install kits and all that stupid plastic junk.

Here is what you need:

-1 pair factory radio brackets; salvage yard, or just go dealer they are like $15
-1 Radio pocket; most singe DIN toyotas came with a pocket. Again, dealer or salvage yard
-1 radio
-Associated screws (4 to mount brackets to dash, 4 to mount radio, 4 to mount pocket)

If you want, call 800-782-0682 and I will hook you up with every single piece you need to make it screw in/out and plug and play.

That cheap plastic junk falls apart and breaks into pieces in no time at all, and you will be kicking yourself for how shotty it looks. The factory brackets will make it look NICE.

Here is a pic of my 3rd Gen 4Runner, using everything I described above:

Although its a different Gen, it installs the EXACT same way. That was done with NO cutting, no fancy install kits, and no special brackets. ALL factory parts.

Last edited by DeathCougar; 06-12-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:19 PM

yeah what he said!!!! you need nothing but a wire harness thats it unless you wanna hard wire it
Old 06-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Staff

Dont hard wire it, get the harness adapter. Its like $6 or so off ebay.

then you can install a new one without having to hack your wiring even more when the cheapo walmart unit fails.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Toyotas do not need those lame install kits and all that stupid plastic junk.

Here is what you need:

-1 pair factory radio brackets; salvage yard, or just go dealer they are like $15
-1 Radio pocket; most singe DIN toyotas came with a pocket. Again, dealer or salvage yard
-1 radio
-Associated screws (4 to mount brackets to dash, 4 to mount radio, 4 to mount pocket)

Sweet, well I already hard wired everything and I have a pocket so I am going to stop by the dealer and grab some mounts. I am so glad to have a Toyota again, taking everything apart and putting it back together was a breeze.

Thanks to all and btw I live in Tulsa, Ok!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:41 PM

yes...
it's ok if you live in tulsa.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:09 AM

Toyota wants $15 for ONE mounting bracket. I called a salvage yard today but nobody has any 4runners (guess they are on the road).
Old 06-13-2008, 11:19 AM

you could try to make some brackets or call crutchfield like someone said earlier. They are really knowledgeable and helpful. I have bought a bunch of stuff from them over the years. Plus they have kits made for each vehicle also as said earlier. Good luck

I just scrolled up to look at your pics again and you should be able to fab something simple like 2 vertical, on each side, pieces that go from the pocket up to the radio, as you have screw holes on the side. Most radios have holes on the side for mounting screws. They will need to be very shallow though. Make sure the bracket material is thick enough to support the weight and take the shock of driving on and off road. Keep us posted.

Last edited by js9924; 06-13-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by astyles
Toyota wants $15 for ONE mounting bracket. I called a salvage yard today but nobody has any 4runners (guess they are on the road).
$15 is too much? No wonder you shop at wal-mart....

Like i said, call ME and I will get you EVERYTHING you need in one fell swoop for $25 shipped, INCLUDING the correct pocket (that one you have will not work) and all the mounting hardware. Ghetto fabbing some crappy brackets that half-work really isn't the way to go.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by js9924
you could try to make some brackets or call crutchfield like someone said earlier. They are really knowledgeable and helpful. I have bought a bunch of stuff from them over the years. Plus they have kits made for each vehicle also as said earlier. Good luck

I just scrolled up to look at your pics again and you should be able to fab something simple like 2 vertical, on each side, pieces that go from the pocket up to the radio, as you have screw holes on the side. Most radios have holes on the side for mounting screws. They will need to be very shallow though. Make sure the bracket material is thick enough to support the weight and take the shock of driving on and off road. Keep us posted.
For all the time it takes a person screwing around making brackets, they could buy factory brackets and be done with it. I dont know about you, but my time is worth more than $15, so spending and hour fabbing something that "mostly works" doesn't make sense.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:03 PM

There has got to be one person in your area parting out a toyota that will have the brackets and everything else you need. Craigslist. Personally I'd take DeathCougars offer because if you don't know what you are looking for it may be hard to find . When you get a box that has everything you need it will become very apparent what needs to be done to get it together properly.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:59 PM

There has got to be one person in your area parting out a toyota that will have the brackets and everything else you need. Craigslist. Personally I'd take DeathCougars offer because if you don't know what you are looking for it may be hard to find . When you get a box that has everything you need it will become very apparent what needs to be done to get it together properly.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:38 AM

Correct-e-mundo

This is correct I ended up buying the factory brackets for $15/each with screws and gaskets for my manual hub conversion ended up being around $35 bucks- not bad! Thanks for all the feedback.

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
For all the time it takes a person screwing around making brackets, they could buy factory brackets and be done with it. I dont know about you, but my time is worth more than $15, so spending and hour fabbing something that "mostly works" doesn't make sense.

Quick Reply: Step 1: New Stereo