86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering work, help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering work, help needed.

I am replacing my driver's side tie rod end and rebuilding my idler arm to clean up some sloppy steering I have been having recently. I have both the driver's side tie rod and idler arm removed but have run into a few snags. 1) How do you actually remove the outter tie rod end from the tie rod, and B) Any tips for getting the end cap off of the idler arm, I tried to tap it off with a screwdriver and BFH but couldn't get it to pry off. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:13 AM

You are working on the idler from the passenger side correct? Tap the cap in the direction you were trying to go with the screwdriver. It fits snugly over a shoulder on the idler arm housing. Do you already have the bushings for it? Your Toyota dealer should be able to provide them off the shelf or next day or two. As for the tie rod end, I think there's a clamp you loosen then soak the thing in WD40 or other penetrant, grab the tie rod/drag link with a pipe wrench or vise grips and the tie rod end with the appropriate wrench, you should be able to twist it out (note the direction of the threads). Measure from the end of the tie rod to the center of the tie rod end before you remove it so you don't jack up the alignment too bad. You'll have a reference as to where the center of the tie rod end should line up.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have to re-align the steering (just the toe) after replacing the TREs. Loosen the clamps on the adjuster sleeve, and unthread. They will probably be seized with rust. My adjuster sleeves were a royal PITA. I need torch to heat them up, lots of penetrating oil, and a hammer & chisel to open up the split in the sleeve. I don't mean driving the chisel (or screwdriver at a 90* to the split, but instead at a 45* angle as to push the one half away from the thread on the tie rod, then do the same on the other side of the split. You should have flared/ spread the ends of the sleeve. Spray some penetrating oil into the newly-opened gap between the tie rod threads and the sleeve and wait a couple minutes. Finally, I used vise-grips to work the sleeve loose. Work it back and forth until eventually it breaks free.

After replacing the TREs align them as shown here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ite-up-163432/

Heat the cap, its glued on. A propane torch will melt the glue.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I was able to finally get the cap off of the idler arm, replaced the bushings and repacked with grease. With two sets of vice grips, a punch of WD40 and a lot of elbow grease I was able to get the TRE off of the tie-rod and replaced it. Took a spin around the block and my steering is noticeably crisper, now I will just have to do an alignment. Thanks for your help guys!