Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Steering wheeling not returning to center

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheeling not returning to center

I need help!
i was changing my idle arm and once i installed the new part and drove my truck the steering wheel wouldn't return to center. the power steering pump worked before and i think it still works.
should i just get an alignment?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:55 AM

Sounds like the ball joint in that arm is binding up preventing the wheels from turning the steering components. The vehicle will naturally return to neutral unless something holds the steering linkage turned i.e holding the wheel is the most common way and you dont even realize it. So a binding joint would definately keep it from doing so as it locks up. You may not notice it while driving since you have power steering to assist you when turning it. I bet it would be harder to turn if you didnt have p/s. But if the steering wheel is just off center then yeah you just need an alignment.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 AM

That might be it. I'll check the ball joint. What does it look like when it's binding?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:19 AM

it's not really something you can see but new joints will be able to rotate and bend with ease. They'll be stiff but should still move. Also does that new joint have a hole in the top? aftermarket joints have a hole for a grease fitting where you can use a grease gun and put your own grease. I know alot of newer joints are sealed but older ones like on this truck and any aftermarket ones you have to grease them. It may seem simple and i'd hate to insult your intelligence if you greased it but it is easy to miss if you havent run across it before.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:39 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
I assume that when the steering wheel IS centered, the truck drives straight.

DO check your tire pressure; a low tire on one side will pull the wheel to that side.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's possible this might also be your problem...

New idler arms have new bushings around the vertical shaft. With time, they will wear a bit and "settle in" and move more freely. Conversely, if you replaced the bushings around the idler arm you may have over-tightened the shaft.

I don't know what model arm you have, but if it looks like stock it should have a rather large nut on top of the vertical piece, usually hidden under a metal dust cap. You can take this cap off, and loosen the nut ever so slightly. This will allow the shaft to turn a bit more freely (careful, I think all you'll need is an 1/8th of a turn!). When the arm has worn a little bit (couple weeks driving) you might want to snug the nuts a little more.

Picture or part number might help. Cheers and good luck.