86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering Wheel not Straight

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel not Straight

I need to get my steering wheel to run straight my truck is aligned and it is off by about 60degrees the steering wheel will not come off due to the nice tight fitting grant wheel adapter this problem would have been avoided if i realized just because the steering wheel is straight that doesn't mean the play in the steering throws it off. I hate having my steering wheel off so i was wondering if anyone has a good fix or can give me any advice. I thought about disconnecting the pwr steering from the steering and rotating it until its straight and hooking it back up. Any Suggestions?

Thank you in advance
Old 10-22-2009, 07:25 AM

Mine was crooked too....all I did was take the bolt off and pull it off and put it back on straight. Or, just go get a steering wheel puller and rip that sucker off!
Old 10-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Where the steering shaft goes through the firewall there might be a splined connector you can use to adjust the wheel.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:03 AM

my problem is i got a steering wheel puller and it wouldn't pull it off because the hardware wouldn't match up and i tried to work around that by using the steering wheel differently but it wouldn't budge i just need to get the custom grant hub thingy off so i can turn it a little bit. But would disconnecting the steering of the pwr steering box work and then turning it so its straight and hooking it back up?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a lot easier to just pull the steering wheel off and put it back on straight instead of mucking about under the hood. There's more to it than just disconnecting the power steering, that just disables the power steering, not the actual steering which requires disconnecting the coupling from the steering gearbox and you'd find it to be a major PITA to adjust the steering wheel this way, as after rotating the wheel nothing would line up on the gearbox connection.
I just straightened my steering wheel last weekend by taking the nut off and using two boards to pull on the wheel, be careful if you do this though, you could potentially bend/wreck your steering wheel so make sure the boards are wide and not pressing against anything important. It's either that or get a right-sized puller.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:44 AM

okay im confused you can disconnect the power steering with a nut and there is an arm than is splined that connects to the actual steering components. i don't understand how allowing the gear to spin without moving that arm makes it so things don't match up. but with the puller since its a grant part the holes for the bolts are 120 degrees apart and wont line up in a straight line so a steering wheel puller doesn't work.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:21 PM

what he is saying is your trying to 'beat around the bush' by straightening the steering wheel a different way. If you think it will work then do it that way.

Or, just remove the hub. Its up to you. A pic would be nice
Old 10-22-2009, 02:28 PM

if both tie rods are adjustable you can also adjust them the opposite direction of the way your wheel is turned...and adjust both tie rods the same amount of turns til the wheel is straight. Lift the frontend off the ground to take the pressure off too.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:21 PM

then go have it aligned if you want to spend the money, i just thought you wanted the steering wheel straight, if you have a alignment problem, thats different. But i understand there is a center in the gear box, that should be acheived first and foremost.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:56 PM

My truck is aligned i was just wondering if there is any other way to get the steering wheel straight without pulling the hub off i can't get it off. oh and about the pic ill try to upload one so get some more ideas