Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Steering wheel/ignition key locked

Old 01-27-2014, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel/ignition key locked

Alright,

So if you haven't seen my previous post on the CV axle, my passenger CV axle is going out. I ordered the new one and planned to replace it this weekend.

Today our dogs escaped and my wife had to drive my 4runner to pick them up. When she returned to the runner she was unable to turn the wheel or key.

My dad stopped by and also was unable to solve the problem. She said she didn't notice anything out of the ordinary prior to turning the vehicle off.

Currently the vehicle is on an incline and the wheel is slightly turned but the tires of mostly straight. We have maybe an inch or two you can turn the wheel freely. The key does not move, at all, in either direction.

Things we have tried:
turning the wheel back and forth while trying the key
holding the wheel in both directions while trying the key
jiggling the wheel and gear shift while trying the key
using another runner and chain to pull forward a bit to relieve any tension
moving the wheel up and down and every position while trying key
trying key with brake pressed and emergency break active, vice versa
sprayed wd40 into key slot
tried kicking the wheels and rocking the vehicle

I read online, the end result normally ends with the vehicle being towed to a mechanic and the person never posting again. One person said he replaced the key lock something and it worked. One person mentioned unplugging the battery for 2 hours to reset any security feature but if I do that the alarm will be active and the only way to deactivate is to turn the key. So if I try to rock the vehicle or anything that sets off my alarm I won't be able to turn it off unless I unplug the battery again.

Plan to have my insurance roadside service tow it to my house tomorrow but I only have a few days to figure this out.

Please help

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2014, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Which truck you have? On the older ones, to remove the key assembly, you turn the key to the Accessory Position and push in on the silver button and pull assembly out. I use a nail or something similar to push the button in.
Name:  key2_zpseef9ed1f.jpg
Views: 2216
Size:  70.6 KB

Since your key wont turn, I would try a several other keys as a last chance effort, if that doesn't work, my suggestion is to drill out the key slot to get it to let the tab that engages the slot inside the steering column to turn. You have to get it to turn to remove the key assembly.

Beckley Arnlay seems to come to mind for a key set off of ebay or the parts store could get you an assembly I think. This is how I would do it if it was up to me. I have heard of this happening and it does take a tow truck to get it home. Others might have a better way. Never had it happen to me but it did to a friend of mine on his 94.

Here is the key cylinder upside down showing the tab (by my thumb) that engages the slot inside the column.
Name:  key1_zps67726d0f.jpg
Views: 2259
Size:  91.0 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-15-2016 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:23 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention. It is a 95 Toyota 4Runner 4wd.

My ignition is not on the steering wheel like in your picture so it might be different. Also I noticed that as I try to turn the wheel the ignition slot moves around.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:43 PM

So I would need to get a new lock cylinder, drill the old one out enough and then put the new one in. How much work would it be to get a new one in and how challenging? Also what are the rough chances I put a new one in and it still doesn't fix my problem?

Thank you!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:16 PM

Had the same problem with my 94 pickup a couple of years ago. Bad cylinder. Replaced ignition to fix.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I am going to call around tomorrow at some salvage yards and see if I can find a cylinder and key. Getting the old one out without it turning should be tough but putting the new one in is just a process of sliding it in and connecting everything correct?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:28 AM

I just came across this thread.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...r-help-254079/

About half way down Daved5150 has a post about how to remove the lock cylinder just by drilling out the small brass pin that holds it into the aluminum housing. If that works, it could save you a whole lot of time and energy.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
happened to mine. pulled the whole comumn and switch. its all hooked together. put it in the drill press and removed pin that holds cylinder in. then you can pull the cylinder and pull all of the tumblers out. lastle re assmeble it looks fatory and turns with anything. granted thats not the best option but if you dont tell anyone you should be alright. i like to lock my doors and warm it up and take my keys with me since now they can pull out with the key on. pm me if you have any questions if you want to go this route.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
pull all of the tumblers out. lastle re assmeble it looks fatory and turns with anything. granted thats not the best option but if you dont tell anyone you should be alright..
That certainly sounds like a great idea to at least get his 4Runner back on the road until he can track down a new cylinder.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:51 PM

My dad's 4runner does that, he pulled the keys out while we were driving down the road tonight as a matter of fact. That definitely sounds like an option worth trying.

I called around and couldn't find a used cylinder and key, going to try other cities nearby tomorrow. I do have a question though, when I go to ignition lock cylinder on the RockAuto site, the place I ordered my cv axle from, it has one for around $30 and the other two are around $50. Why are the other ones so much more expensive?

The $30 is called Standard Motor Products Part # US155LT T-Series,
The $50 is called Standard Motor Products Part # US155L Intermotor
and the other $50 is Airtex/Wells Part # 4H1125

They all say for a 95 toyota 4runner so which one would I need?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:13 PM

Same reason why my 08 Yami R6 battery was between $140-$180 at most bikeshops and a many online But I got one for $60 shipped for the same exact replacement.

Some like to gouge.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Punchy
Same reason why my 08 Yami R6 battery was between $140-$180 at most bikeshops and a many online But I got one for $60 shipped for the same exact replacement.

Some like to gouge.
It is on the same website though, all three listed by each other.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Not sure of quality but there are others shown as well.>>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Lock-Cylinder-Tumbler-with-Keys-/140601020468?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1995%7CMake%3AToyota%7CModel%3A4Runner&hash=item20bc795034&vxp=mtr
Once you get the cylinder out, you can still drive it. Just lock your doors. I have used a flat blade screwdriver to operate the ignition til I got it replaced, just make sure the starter does not stay engaged. The 89-95 will remove similary like posted above.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the link, hadn't really thought about checking eBay.

I called around all the cities close by and no one had anything. That one of eBay is cheaper than Rock Auto and they have sold a bunch, have to read some reviews.

Planning on trying some tricks this weekend, thanks everyone for the help!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Silvercobra, don't be afraid to take the column down. It's 4 tough bolts holding it up (once you get the couple of plastic trims off).. I said tough bolts because I had to use a lot of force!

I dropped my steering column recently for other work, I didn't pay to much attention about removing the cylinder, but I'm sure it's easy once you reach that point. I'm assuming that my 91 is the same design as the 95 since my key is also not right behind the steering wheel.

Here is the best pic I found from my work that shows the steering column dropped, can't really see the lock cylinder well..

Anyway, do it.. can't be that hard
Old 02-21-2014, 12:05 PM

1990 4runner ,no keys

I have a 90 4 runner and it has no keys ,,Is it possible to get keys from the vin no? Can the lock be dissabled so it can start and steer ? thanks
Old 02-22-2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by stocko
I have a 90 4 runner and it has no keys ,,Is it possible to get keys from the vin no? Can the lock be dissabled so it can start and steer ? thanks
You will have to call your local Toyota dealer and see if they can go back to 1990. If they make a key for your runner and it still has a factory lock cylinder and factory door locks it will work on both.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:37 PM

Steering wheel/ignition key locked-dsc08444.jpg

Steering wheel/ignition key locked-dsc08445.jpg

Steering wheel/ignition key locked-dsc08447.jpg

Well, I managed to drill enough for the cylinder to finally come out, now what? I thought once the cylinder came out the steering wheel would be unlocked. I also thought the thing holding the cylinder in was the thing locking it but I still can't turn it (with key in.) I saw a small bronze pin and I tried drilling on that as well but still no luck.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:38 PM

Steering wheel/ignition key locked-dsc08449.jpg

One more picture
Old 02-23-2014, 12:13 PM

Well, I used some needle nose pliers and grabbed on to the thing inside the cylinder and got it started. I am still curious how to go about fixing the lock though, I read something about taking the tumblers out, how do I get inside the lock cylinder I posted pictures of to make it turn again? Or would I just need to order a new one?

Last edited by silvercobra; 02-23-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel/ignition key locked