Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

steering parts on Ebay

Old 11-26-2010, 06:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
steering parts on Ebay

Can anyone tell me if any of these are good deals or are they junk parts?

Ebay item #

Aslo, steering gear box is leaking. where is the best place to get a new/reman box? i'm gonna attemp to rebuild it with one of the mechs at work. I wanna know where to get one just in case.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:18 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Ebay parts are cheap typically for a reason. Buy used parts from a known, trusted source like nix99. PM DeathCougar.

Rebuilding one can be a bit tricky. Find a rebuild thread and read that first. You don't want to lose all the ball bearings.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-03-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cheap chinese knock-offs. You get what you pay for. I've even seen some stuff claimed to be "Moog" that doesn't even look anything like real Moog parts.

Last edited by sb5walker; 11-26-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:47 AM

yea, thats what I found. I actually need tie rod ends, ball jounts, etc. Any suggestions on where to get quality ones?
Old 11-26-2010, 10:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
get your parts from toyota or another reputable source for oe parts. I've used the ebay parts for tie rods and idler arms and yes they suck nuff said.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:19 PM

yea, the "other reputable place" is what I'm lookin for. NAPA??
Old 11-27-2010, 01:28 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by tysen86
yea, the "other reputable place" is what I'm lookin for. NAPA??
NAPA's stuff is alright. If you do go with them, spend the extra money to get their higher-end stuff. They usually have several grades for the parts they sell under their name(house brand). You get what you pay for.

If you don't need the parts immediately, you can order high-quality name brand parts from RockAuto.com. They sell many different brands, so you can pick whichever you prefer. I recommend anything made by BECK/ARNLEY®. Or Raybestos™ Chassis "Professional Grade"(as apposed to their cheaper "Service Grade"), since they've recently bought the rights to Spicer® Chassis Components and are just continuing the Spicer® Chassis Components product line under their name now. I'm sure you've heard of Dana Spicer®, same company they just don't sell chassis parts anymore. I don't care for Moog, even though some folks seem to think their stuff is good too, I won't buy it.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's one set of parts on ebay that seems to be pretty nice quality.

I picked up all balljoints/tie-rods/pitman arm and the idler arm from this guy in Canada:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ball-...item51966194c9

The set seems nice. Several other people on these forums recommended it when I did some searching. I don't have much miles on my parts yet though...
Old 11-27-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.rockauto.com/ best prices you can find. And they stock great brands.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
rockauto is an excellent vendor, but unfortunately they don't carry anywhere near as good parts as they used to. They used to carry almost all the Aisin and Denso parts for our trucks, plus many other Japanese-made brands. Now, they carry virtually no Aisin, fewer Denso parts, and almost no other Japanese-made parts, and a lot of what they carry now for our trucks is unfortunately just garbage. Even many of the Beck/Arnley parts for our trucks are worse than they were several years ago. B/A does not manufacture any parts, they source them from a gazillion different manufacturers. Years ago, most of the B/A parts for our trucks were Japanese-made and were great bargains. Now I've noticed a lot of B/A parts are not from Japan and are of much lower quality. You still can find the odd good part, but it's getting less common. B/A suspension parts may still be a good deal - they used to be all Sankei, which are the same parts you get from the dealer. I think the B/A idler arm is no longer a Sankei, and I'm not 100% sure of the others.

Part of the problem, I think, is that our trucks are so old, and fewer of them are still on the road, so we are not as lucrative a market as we used to be. The other factor of course is the global economy and terrible state of the dollar, making good Japanese parts prohibitively expensive, and then there's the buying-up and consolidation of parts manufacturers, following the pattern in almost every other industry, and the resulting shutting of factories in Japan and the moving of production to China. Bankers are ruining the world.

Anyway, getting back to parts sources, you can of course get excellent quality Japanese-made parts from the dealer (though I wouldn't be surprised to learn that more and more of those were made elsewhere), and there are dealers that offer excellent discounts. There's a bunch of them listed in this post: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...05#post3015905

Another source of good Japanese parts is autohausaz.com. I've had great service from them over the years and I like that they do not carry substandard parts, plus they offer free shipping on orders over $50.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:07 PM

Well, I'm not really in a hurry, the parts ain't broke, just getting old. I want quality so I'm willing to pay a little extra for the parts. I'll look at all the suggestions. Thanks guys...y'all never fail to come through!!
Old 11-28-2010, 01:12 PM

i bought a new idler arm off ebay for 20 bucks shipped. its been about year and i have no issues with it so far with some light wheeling and bj spacers about 11000 miles ,i kept the stock arm to rebuild later on.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:02 PM

I am sorry to say, you have just bought the ebay junk.To bad you cannot give ebay feedback after the parts are worn out in 1 year. They are great if you are selling the vehicle though for that tight feel for a while at least. Please post your results after a year after getting checked by a shop for wear.

Pretty on the outside, but take a part the idler and check how soft the bushings are.

Originally Posted by HighRunner

I picked up all balljoints/tie-rods/pitman arm and the idler arm from this guy in Canada:

The set seems nice. Several other people on these forums recommended it when I did some searching. I don't have much miles on my parts yet though...
Old 11-29-2010, 02:53 PM

Well I needed all new balljoints anyway and that's all I have installed yet other than the outer tie-rods.

The parts are definitely just as good as you'd find in a local parts store.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by chubbydude
I am sorry to say, you have just bought the ebay junk.To bad you cannot give ebay feedback after the parts are worn out in 1 year. They are great if you are selling the vehicle though for that tight feel for a while at least. Please post your results after a year after getting checked by a shop for wear.

Pretty on the outside, but take a part the idler and check how soft the bushings are.
How would you know? Did you buy some too?

In that case you really should be sorry, for not warning the rest of us!

BTW, what were your results? Or did you just inform us of them?

Just because it's cheap, or bought on ebay, does not necessarily mean it's junk. You can get name brand stuff on ebay, and cheaper than elsewhere too!

I bought a heavy-duty clutch kit on ebay. And after the EXEDY(name brand)clutch disc blew up I let everyone here know about it. However, the EXEDY(name brand)pressure plate, throwout and pilot bearings have all performed flawlessly in the nearly 3 years that's gone by since I bought that kit. The way I drive is very hard on clutches too, not to mention stock gears and 35's.

Here's the thread I started about it in the vendor feedback section:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f39/...alists-133785/

Here's my other posts warning folks not to buy EXEDY clutch discs:
https://www.yotatech.com/51573986-post2.html
https://www.yotatech.com/51578601-post5.html
https://www.yotatech.com/51579896-post10.html

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-09-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:43 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
wow mudhippy, I didn't see that thread when I did my rebuild but I almost went with that clutch setup as well. Glad I decided on the Perfection clutch from Adv. Auto. instead.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:37 AM

Actually I consider myself a pro ebayer, and I do buy most all of my parts on ebay, except when OEM is better then I go to toyotapartssales. The front end kit that HighRunner linked to are junk because that is the exact kit I used but a different vendor or vendor name change in Canada.

I have responded to posts over the years to warn against these saying they will only last a year, but no I did not make a detailed write up. The recommendations you see for these parts are only for new fresh cheap installs and have no long term follow up. My experience was many years ago, if I had the same problem today I would make a better post.

How about HighRunner popping that idler open and showing everyone what the bushings are made out of??? MudHippy you are the idler expert, you may be interested.

Lesson learned for me is for suspension parts only use OEM OEM OEM from toyotapartssales toyotapartssales toyotapartssales period. You know what you are getting and OEM are the best.

Originally Posted by MudHippy
How would you know? Did you buy some too?

In that case you really should be sorry, for not warning the rest of us!

BTW, what were your results? Or did you just inform us of them?

Just because it's cheap, or bought on ebay, does not necessarily mean it's junk. You can get name brand stuff on ebay, and cheaper than elsewhere too!

I bought a heavy-duty clutch kit on ebay. And after the EXEDY(name brand)clutch disc blew up I let everyone here know about it. However, the SECO(name brand)pressure plate, throwout and pilot bearings have all performed flawlessly in the nearly 3 years that's gone by since I bought that kit. The way I drive is very hard on clutches too, not to mention stock gears and 35's.

Here's the thread I started about it in the vendor feedback section:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f39/...alists-133785/

Here's my other posts warning folks not to buy EXEDY clutch discs:
https://www.yotatech.com/51573986-post2.html
https://www.yotatech.com/51578601-post5.html
https://www.yotatech.com/51579896-post10.html
Old 12-01-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by HighRunner

I picked this kit up. Everything is made in Canada, feels of good build quality, and everything that you'd want a grease fitting on has it. Its held up about a year on me so far through a good measure of beating with balljoint lifters equipped and have held out.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by chubbydude
How about HighRunner popping that idler open and showing everyone what the bushings are made out of??? MudHippy you are the idler expert, you may be interested.
If you're insinuating that they're rubber or polyurethane, then I would like to see that. But it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of such. Well, sorta, but not really. What I mean is someone mentioned on here a few years ago that you could use rear leaf spring shackle bushings in a stock idler arm. By that I mean they'll fit supposedly. The notion of using them in an idler arm on purpose is totally ridiculous though.
Originally Posted by sb5walker
Wabfab sells an excellent Aisin/Seco clutch kit for $149 - seems to me to be a no-brainer for a stock strength kit.
That's essentially what I've got now. I just replaced the EXEDY disc with a stock AISIN disc. Which, I know now, I should have done to begin with.
Originally Posted by NYChopshop
I picked this kit up. Everything is made in Canada, feels of good build quality, and everything that you'd want a grease fitting on has it. Its held up about a year on me so far through a good measure of beating with balljoint lifters equipped and have held out.
Interesting...