86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

steering gear box?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering gear box?

there is play with my steering. i had someone play with steering wheel while i looked at the column(?) and it moves accordly to steering wheel but the wheels dnt move. i lifted front end to see if wheels had play and they didnt.

it seems to be in the gear box. i looked online and it seems expensive to replace. could something just be loose and needs to be tightend in there? or am i screwed and have to get new stuff?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Something to try before replacing any parts, is tighten the steering gear backlash. Looking at the steering gear from the top in the engine compartment, you should see an adjustment screw with a lock nut (near the center of the steering gear). Loosen the lock nut, and turn the adjusting screw clockwise to tighten the steering freeplay (or counterclockwise to loosen it). Adjust it in small increments (1/4 turn at a time) and check steering wheel freeplay between each adjustment. When it feels OK, hold the adjusting screw from turning, and tighten the lock nut. Hop in the truck and make sure steering is still smooth, with no binding from lock to lock. NOTE: If you tighten it too much, it will decrease the truck's ability to auto-straighten the wheels when you come out of a turn (similar to if there's not enough caster in your alignment). If you notice this, turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise a bit to fix it.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:59 PM

Steering Gearbox Play

Yes , tighten the screw but don't go too tight , if you tighten the screw properly it won't hurt a thing and will resolve your problem though you may experience it being a bit snug to the right and left steering (or maybe a tad of pump noise) when you do until you use it for awhile , the previous post is a very good explanation
Old 10-08-2007, 12:56 PM

i havent messed with anything yet but that is how it is right now, it doesnt want to auto straight itself.

and a picture of what u are talking about would be great
Old 10-08-2007, 03:16 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Your toe-in alignment can effect how much auto-straighting the wheels want to do also. Less toe-in = Less auto-straightening.

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-08-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:19 PM

Steering Gearbox Play

Originally Posted by ks_yota
i havent messed with anything yet but that is how it is right now, it doesnt want to auto straight itself.

and a picture of what u are talking about would be great
I went out to look at my truck and get a pic but need to remove resonator on air box to get a reasonable shot so I am giving you the link to the steering box

2WD
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/steering/7manualge.pdf
4WD
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/steering/8manua.pdf

If you open this PDF for your gearbox you will see on both first pages a breakdown , the nut and screw (so to speak) are plain to see in both pics , if you look at the top of the gearbox (whether 2 or 4WD) for the plate with 4 bolts (one at each corner) ...............and right there in the middle of that plate is the locknut and adj. screw - loosen the nut and turn the flathead slot in the end of the adj.'ing screw clockwise to remove any play you may have from wear and tear , this adj. generally removes free play , what would be between your steering wheel and the pitman arm , I was looking thru FSM and here is another page from it for the free play adjustment in regards to service and fluid level :
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/steering/3onvehicl.pdf

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-08-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy

Your toe-in alignment can effect how much auto-straighting the wheels want to do also. Less toe-in = Less auto-straightening.
MudHippy is the pic man
Old 10-08-2007, 04:31 PM

that helps so much. thnks a bunch guys.

ur info is very much appreciated id get u guys some if i could