Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

starting to pull the clutch, wish me luck.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
starting to pull the clutch, wish me luck.

I really really don't want to do this but I can't afford to have a shop do it for me.

So today I'm replacing the clutch on the 4runner......... wish me luck.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
good luck man! take some pics!
Old 04-10-2009, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol just did my clutch pressure plate yesterday was pretty easy 89 yoda pickup dont forget to unbolt the starter from the transmission like i did
Old 04-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Doing it by yourself, huh! Nice!! Did you get a tranny jack?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:11 AM

good luck. remember how it all came apart so you can put it back together try to find a tranny jack!
Old 04-10-2009, 09:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No tranny jack, I have a strong friend. Well in a little over an hour I've got everything apart except for the top tranny/motor bolts. How in the heck do you get up in there to get them out?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Extensions. A couple of long ones or several short ones.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

what I did was, carefully and with extensions, let the back of the tranny down which tips the motor back. Should make it easier.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
beg, borrow or buy a tranny jack i do clutch and tranny swaps by myself with no problems.

no jack is gonna suck i dont care if you have a army of buddies
Old 04-10-2009, 09:58 AM

i drilled two holes in my firewall to access those two 17mm then just plugged it up with body plugs.

you can do it with a box wrench but its long and painful you will need to climb on top of the motor
Old 04-10-2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by zlathim
Extensions. A couple of long ones or several short ones.

i dont use that many extensions

one shallow 6pt one wobble one 12" extension should do it and in that order
Old 04-10-2009, 10:24 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
I just used a 17mm gearwrench, you can do it if you take your time and line the wrench up. I forget to see if it was a 22r series or not, if it is you will be making small swings but you will get it.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Plumbrbob
beg, borrow or buy a tranny jack i do clutch and tranny swaps by myself with no problems.

no jack is gonna suck i dont care if you have a army of buddies
lol! Indeed!! I had to take my transfer off first and then, one at a time lower my huge jack stands I had one tooth to teeter it down. Of course, putting it back in I had my OEM spare tire rachet strapped to my big floor jack!! Worked great!! lol!!

I know they sell tranny adapters for floor jacks. Got a Harbor Freight nearby?
Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tranny jacks aren't always necessary. My uncle is a mechanic and when we did the clutch on the suzuki sidekick, he told us to just unbolt it, get underneath and slide it off onto your chest. It will be heavy as hell, so he says he just rolls to his side and dumps it off. Worked for us :-)

But getting it back on...that's the problem. Just get a tranny jack. It's much more comfortable and easier.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
lol! Indeed!! I had to take my transfer off first and then, one at a time lower my huge jack stands I had one tooth to teeter it down. Of course, putting it back in I had my OEM spare tire rachet strapped to my big floor jack!! Worked great!! lol!!

I know they sell tranny adapters for floor jacks. Got a Harbor Freight nearby?
My first time I did it without a tranny jack I used a rigged system of wood and metal on my 2ton with ratchet straps, u-bolts and lags screws.

without a mechanical way of holding the tranny up when you seperate it from the motor its gonna be 150lbs of dead weight wanting to fall to the ground. not to mention you woudl have to hold the tranny up while the 8 crosmember to frame bolts were removed. before you can seprate.

getting it in is gonna be even funner while on buddy bench presses it the other will have to push it in then the bech press buddy will have to hold the tranny up while the other buddy fiddles with the cross member bolts. I hope you buddys love you cause they are gonna hate you later LOL
Old 04-10-2009, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
Tranny jacks aren't always necessary. My uncle is a mechanic and when we did the clutch on the suzuki sidekick, he told us to just unbolt it, get underneath and slide it off onto your chest. It will be heavy as hell, so he says he just rolls to his side and dumps it off. Worked for us :-)

But getting it back on...that's the problem. Just get a tranny jack. It's much more comfortable and easier.
I could do a suzuki tranny LOL the motor is a tiny the axles are tiny and I am sure the tranny is tiny LOL. I guess the toy tranny weighs aroudn 150ish not that heavy but getting it in 150lbs gets heavy if it does not go right in quick.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Junkers, how many buddies you have helping out? 'Cause one is gonna have to be manning a camera!!! LOL!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

I could do a suzuki tranny LOL the motor is a tiny the axles are tiny and I am sure the tranny is tiny LOL. I guess the toy tranny weighs aroudn 150ish not that heavy but getting it in 150lbs gets heavy if it does not go right in quick.
Don't those have divorsed transfer cases too? Makes it even easier!!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
dirtoyboy has some good pics of using the tie-down strap through the grab handle method of lifting the tranny.

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
Do you have grab handles?

If so, those grab handles can support a 250-300 lb. person pulling themselves up into the truck. Each one can...actually...

Here is how I did mine SAFELY by myself with verrrrrry little work (purely because Im lazy)

Old 04-10-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You talking about a samurai or a sidekick? the sidekick I had was comparable to the 22re. Transmissions were about the same size, but it's been a few years since I sold the sidekick (really regret that.) Engine and transmission were about the same size, but the drive shaft and axles are a lot smaller than the toyota's.

Quick Reply: starting to pull the clutch, wish me luck.