Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting issues

Hi all,

So I guess this is the rig's way of baptizing me into the Toyota faithful. Here's my quandry:

Started her up just fine, she idled for about 10-15 seconds and then nothing. Just cut out dead. She cranks over fine but no attempt at all to fire up. So my assumption is that I have no spark or no fuel. I checked the rotor and cap and they were pretty corroded so I scraped them with my knife to expose some copper, but no luck there. I then noticed a wire with a gray connector near the top of the valve cover that was unplugged. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a logical place for where it should be plugged in. I then realized that I don't hear a fuel pump whine when I turn on the ignition. Also there is no smell of gas in the TB so it's not flooded. I still do t have a "how- to" book so I don't know where the fuel pump is located to check it.

I have no CEL coming on either. It cranks over just fine. I'll post a picture of that disconnected wire once the tow truck arrives and gets me home. Don't know how to post photos from my iPhone.

If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:08 PM

Oh yeah... It's a 22RE manual.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:33 PM

Howdy again,

Well, the good man with the flatbed wrecker got me home safe and sound.

As promised, here are a couple of photos of the phantom wire that appears to be out of place. I'm going to pick up a Haynes or Chiltons manual tomorrow just to have some sort of baseline/schematic to work with. I'm starting with the cheap stuff; rotor, cap, plugs, etc. Guess I need to pick up a tester light or something.

Without further adieu:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-01-2010, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel pump is in the gas tank. It does not switch on with the ignition.
That connector your looking at, is it on the passenger side of the valve cover kind of in between the cover and intake, if so then its not used for anything just an extra connector.

You need to jump a connector in the diagnostic panel to get the fuel pump to kick on. Someone else will know the correct name for the connectors to jump.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:35 PM

guess I was a little late but yeah that connector isn't used for anything.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner
That connector your looking at, is it on the passenger side of the valve cover kind of in between the cover and intake, if so then its not used for anything just an extra connector.
That would be the one.

Any other ideas as to what might be going on here? Should I be able to hear the fuel pump? At what point does it come on? From my experience with old Austin Healeys and BMWs the fuel pump usually lets its existence be known with a nice vibrating/grinding noise with the ignition on. What's the telltale sign of life for the 'Yota's fuel pump?

I'm going to go out there tomorrow and screw around with it a bit. If I can't get her to fire up, I guess I'll have to bite bullet and have her towed to a shop.

Normally, I would be all over this problem like a fly on . However, I only moved myself, essential Army gear and a 6 pack of beer up here to Clarksville. My shop is back in Augusta with all of the tools and so forth.

Oh well...what can I expect for $1500, right? Shoulda seen it comin'.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
The connector you've pictured is for the EGR temp sensor, which yours does not have, and I can tell because, well, I can see the EGR valve in the pics, lol. Not all 22re's had them, so that's normal.

As far as the not running issue, check the fuse box on the passenger side under the hood, and take a look at the 15amp EFI fuse

Old 02-01-2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
The connector you've pictured is for the EGR temp sensor, which yours does not have, and I can tell because, well, I can see the EGR valve in the pics, lol. Not all 22re's had them, so that's normal.

As far as the not running issue, check the fuse box on the passenger side under the hood, and take a look at the 15amp EFI fuse

Yessiree, will do. Get right on it in the morning. As for now...well, it's pizza and beer time.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

Old 02-01-2010, 06:11 PM

Ye hath captured the moment.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

lol

keep us updated! (not on the drinking of the beer... of the truck )

Old 02-02-2010, 05:10 PM

Hello all,

Okay, so I should have posted this earlier today, but I discovered the culprit after checking the underhood fuse panel as Bleeder suggested. However, it was a 30 amp fuse that was blown. Pictured below it is the one "above" the green box fuse. Anyone know what this fuse is for? The schematic on the fuse box says "AM2 30" where this fuse is located. Obviously, it is something that can stop me dead in my 'Yota tracks.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Well, I also replaced the dizzy cap, rotor, spark plugs and spark plug wires prior to checking the fuses. At least I know what has been replaced for sure now.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

my fault... on my 91, the fuse box under the hood houses the 15amp EFI fuse... it looks like that fuse was located in the cab on 89's go figure...

BUT, that fuse you found blown DOES look like it plays an important part in the fuel enjection system so that's probably the issue!

have you put in a new fuse yet? does it run without popping the fuse?

it is possible that the fuse was just old, and corroded to the point of finally failing

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 02-02-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:05 PM

Bleeder,

Yep, I replaced it and she runs like a top. It looks like it was a really old fuse. So it may have just failed on its own. The new fuse hasn't blown yet. There is another fuse next to it, the 80 amp fuse (the black box fuse in the photo), that looks like it is about to fail from corrosion. Thing is, as much as I pulled on the stupid thing I couldn't get it to come out. Didn't want to break anything. I'll give it a try again tomorrow since I don't want to be stranded again due to a fuse.

Last edited by JSimmons; 02-02-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: edit
Old 02-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

the 80amp is more than likely the alternator fuse

I'm only guessing because the fuse box if different than mine

But, on my 91, the alternator fuse is bolted in, and you have to take the fuse box apart to unbolt it, remove it, replace it, and put the bolts back in. It's not really that hard, just sounds more complicated than it really is, lol

good to hear you got her running again!

Old 02-02-2010, 06:17 PM

pink and green are fusible links they protect the electrical system
Old 02-02-2010, 06:27 PM

the 80amp is more than likely the alternator fuse

I'm only guessing because the fuse box if different than mine

But, on my 91, the alternator fuse is bolted in, and you have to take the fuse box apart to unbolt it, remove it, replace it, and put the bolts back in. It's not really that hard, just sounds more complicated than it really is, lol

good to hear you got her running again!

Well, I plan on unbolting the thing so that I can replace it. One look at it makes me worried that it will fail.

hunter4runner, thanks for the info. Does that mean they just serve as a "stop-gap" for any sort of overload that may go through the electrical system?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:40 PM

they will stop everything if they are both overloaded, mostly they blow due to people hooking up jump cables backwards, not saying you did. The are the biggest fail safe in any vehicle.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by hunter4runner
they will stop everything if they are both overloaded, mostly they blow due to people hooking up jump cables backwards, not saying you did. The are the biggest fail safe in any vehicle.
Good to know. I think the thing just failed from old age. I started the rig up, it idled for about 10 - 15 seconds and then ... nothing. It just cut out. That's what lead me to believe it was either a lack of fuel or spark. I guess having one of those fuses fail is definitely a lack of spark.