Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Starting issue. Sometimes it just won't start. Need serious HELP here!

Old 06-21-2008, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starting issue. Sometimes it just won't start. Need serious HELP here!

1990 sr5 4runner. 3.0 a/c,automatic. Everything is completely stock. Has 211,000 miles on it.

Every now and then, it just won't start. It acts as if the battery is dead. Battery is one year old. Replaced both cables at the same time New alternator 6 months ago. When it won't start, you can hear it clicking but it won't crank. I put a booster or get a jump start...and it fires right up!
I did notice,at other times. That when I turn the key,it sometimes hesitates (the time the key gets in the ignition position,till the time it actually starts),then it starts.
Other times,I turn the key. It won;t start. I turn the key back off. Turn it again and it starts.

Is this my ignition swith going bad 9i'm thinking contacts are worn)
or is it in the starter or somewhere else?
Please...don't let it be the starter. I've heard they are nightmarish to change.
Anyway...please. Someone help!?
I have a lot of road trips this summer and can't afford being stranded anywhere.
I'm finding that where I live (Lancaster,Pa). They're not a lot of mechanics that even understand Toyota's,let alone willing enough to even work on one.
Thanx all!
Old 06-21-2008, 10:48 PM

well to rule out the starter you have to try it and when it clicks go out and hit it with a pry bar or something at the same time have someone hold it to the start key and if it starts right up then its the starter if not then itcould be the wires at the starter it self man clean them up and you should be ok
Old 06-21-2008, 11:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I also have the same problem on my 874runner
Sometimes it would do the same thing, but now its gotten worse where sometimes i put the key in and it wont do anything, no buzzer, then sometimes it will so il continue onto turn the key then it will all just shut off.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen a bunch of these it could be your starter contacts, your ignition switch, park/neutral position relay, or your starter relay.

Starting off I'd probably get a hold of one of those manual starter switches (forget the proper name), it'll let you bypass all the control components and help you pinpoint the starter.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:07 AM

Your contacts in your starter solenoid are probably worn. Changing a starter in those rigs isn't that easy, but it's not that hard. I ended up having to drop the starter down and out. Cussing the whole time. But someone tried to tell me you had to lift the block to change the starter? Yeah right.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JDMSLIK
I've seen a bunch of these it could be your starter contacts, your ignition switch, park/neutral position relay, or your starter relay.

Starting off I'd probably get a hold of one of those manual starter switches (forget the proper name), it'll let you bypass all the control components and help you pinpoint the starter.
Good idea with the manual starter switch. That will help you narrow down the culprit. If it indeed is the starter, it's most likely worn contacts.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:15 AM

I REPLACED EVERYTHING trying to fix this issue. Just wouldn't start sometimes, other times perfect. I changed starter, leads, battery. Finally I got fed up and went to the stealership. This was my first good experience as one of the mechanics came out to the parking lot and told me to check the STARTER RELAY BEHIND THE GLOVE BOX. he said they get moisture from the bad window seal on the door. SURE ENOUGH changed it and have never had a problem in a year. Cheap easy fix, may be your answer.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:54 AM

Starter relay. Behind glove box. I never even considered that. Ok...that's the first thing I'm looking into.
I never ruled out the starter,just didnt want to change one due to the horror stories I've been told.

(crews462),Yeah. I've been told the engine needs jacked up to do this job. If I do end up replacing starter eventually. You said you can get it out w.out having to do so?
I'd really hate to shave off a few knuckels on a foul mouthed weekend of tear jerking madness. :>)
Thanx for all the advice guys. I'm off to the parts store!!!

*Dutch*
Old 06-22-2008, 09:14 AM

Starter horror stories? Hahah.. change one on an old cadillac.. it's in the oil pan.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:47 PM

yah the starter isn't bad at all. The removable plate on the inner fender is in the perfect spot. I am not saying it is a 10 min job like some domestics, but once you figure out the right way to rotate it as you remove it, it's not that bad.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had an ongoing problem with my 91 where it acts as mentioned by the original poster. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it won't start but clicks, sometimes if you hold the key down long enough it eventually will start, sometimes it takes a jump to start, and sometimes it wouldn't start.
Turned out being the connection on the starter where the wire from the ignition switch connects was jacked. I went through 3 starters in 6 months (thank goodness for lifetime warrantees @ autozone) on the truck and so far the last one has lasted going on 2 years. But every starter that failed had the same problem- that damn terminal on the starter solenoid coming off of the coils inside the starter.
I guess I should mention that when I took the last one back, I had a 'heart to heart' with the store manager and got a new starter, not a reman. He saw the history of returns and decided to eat the cost of the new one considering they'd lost enough money on the reman's I'd returned. Oh... and still have the lifetime.

Last edited by abecedarian; 06-22-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:54 PM

I think I'm gonna try replacing the starter relay 1st. Simple,cheaper and one less knuckle shaved.
What I need to know now is,are either of these 2 the starter relay? This pic is up under the right hand side dash,behind the glove box.

My worthless Chilton manual,says their in the relay block in the engine compartment. Which is this:

or it says it's to be in the drivers side junction block. The only thing in their,is fuses. Of course.

Blueyoda....The 1st pic I posted. Is one of them two the starter relay,like you had mentioned? If so. How do I determine which one is for the starter?
The Chilton saysit will have a part number with a suffix of 28300-xxxxx.
Them black relays have numbers on them (havent seen the top side of em yet),and so far that suffix number is not visible.

And yes,I am in the process of downloading the manual from the link that steelydan posted. Just takin a long time and need to unzip. Anyway...
I checked parts stores for starter relays and they are unavailable. Is this a stealership relay?
Old 06-22-2008, 03:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have the same issue if i leave it outside and there is moisture in the morning it wont start just crank crank crank.. warm or cold.. my cold start is fine..im going to check starter relay behind glove box because i know my doors dont seal good and if i park in my garage im fine..
i found 2 wires on the distributer were nicked today so i fixed them..
its just annoying that if i forget to park in the garage and it rains the night before my truck wont start until it warms up or i place a heater on the engine or under it for a while...

ill catch the buggerd part yet!
Old 06-22-2008, 04:05 PM

Nope. can't say that I have any wet issues when it comes to the starting problem I got. My bug is not biased to weather. My problem happens any time of the year and in any part of the country. My truck is in my exposed driveway all year long. When I mean exposed. I have a 100 acre flat cornfield across from me. Winters....driving...I mean borderline hurricane speed cold,cold,damp,snowy,icey,driving... WIND!!! And my Yota has started fine all winter long.
My door seals are actually really good shape too. I keep them good with either Armor all or wd-40. (so they don't freeze to the metal,then get stuck and rip away).
So, I definetly don;t think moisture is my problem here.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:09 PM

god dam yota gremlins
Old 06-22-2008, 04:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess i have to look at my starter connections tonight
Old 06-22-2008, 04:15 PM

You don't really need to see leaking seals to have a moisture problem.
Someitmes it's the case on the relay that just let's regular air in and the contacts slowly corrode.

Like I said in an earlier post next time it's doing it, disconnect the coil and use a manual starter switch to seperate the starter from the starter circuit.
Replacing a suspected part because it's easier and cheaper?!? is more expensive than a simple diagnostic test.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:41 PM

True. Thanx for slowing me down. My buddy has a manual starter. Calling him tomorrow before work.
Thanx again.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:26 PM
CJM

Bad cell in battery, could be starter or starter relay.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:40 PM

haha i have the 1990 manual 4runner sr5

and mine wouldnt start all that happened was the starter came unplugged

i plugged it in and bam started right up like it was new again lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting issue. Sometimes it just won't start. Need serious HELP here!