Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Starting 22r rebuild/possible interior swaps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 04:00 PM
McD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting 22r rebuild/possible interior swaps?

First off, hi to all. I've been a member for a while but haven't posted much.

I have an '86 4x4 pickup that I've been clinging to since I was 16. 25 now and finally got the hell out of college. Truck is in the shop for an engine rebuild. It has just under 200,000 miles on it at this point and most of that was long trips. I've got a lot of work to do.

It's red with the classic brown interior. Once the mechanical stuff is finished, I'm looking to change everything that is brown or tan to black and dark grey. The outside is red w/black trim, so I figured I'd swap the inside to the same theme.
I don't have cash on me right now, so I'm pretty much just browsing. But, I wanted to ask if there is a website or some place you all know of that sells interior trim? I've searched this forum and the net, but didn't find much. Sorry if I've missed something obvious. I'm not trying to be redundant here.

Only thing I've been able to find was a place that still molded the vinyl floor mat, which I got in black, and the easy-to-find stuff like door latches, handles, window crank handles, etc.

I'd be willing to swap dash pieces and various interior parts if they are in good shape and they are grey or black (I'd have to see what part you have to decide which color I need). I'll be willing to buy these parts as soon as I get some money back up after the engine & transmission are finished also.

If anyone needs brown interior parts I'd be happy to swap, like I said. Not all of the interior is in great shape though. The passenger-side of the dash (crash pad section) has a split on the top, so I wouldn't ask about that. Check out the pics at the link below.

If you're swapping/selling, and don't want anything I have, I might be able to buy some little things here and there for right now. Let me know if you have anything.

I'll try to get some better pics soon. If anyone wants to see something specific, let me know & I'll see if I can get a shot/better shot.

And by the way, the interior door panel you see that is light grey was a screw up, that's definitely not the kind of "grey" I'm talking about. I need something darker than that....as those look pretty bad. It's a long story...

https://www.yotatech.com/gallery/sho...ry.php?cat=762
Old 02-13-2010, 04:11 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
what about using vinyl dye? some people on here have used that to change/refresh the dash. Looks real good.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:34 PM
McD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah...I thought about that, but have never had any experience with dyes. Is it too much of a pain in the butt for a newb to handle?? I've heard horror stories..and seen some bad...bad bad work done with vinyl sprays. I want it to look like factory, so I backed off on seeking dyes. That and I couldn't seem to find the right dark gray. I checked SEM and VHT. If there are any others that are better or if you have info on either one of those, let me know. Thanks for the suggestion.