Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Starter switch problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter switch problems?

I can turn the key several times and get nothing but clicks. After quite a few times the engine will then turn over and fire off. To often now after the engine is started the starter will continue to turn over by itself until i run the key back and forth a few times. Could this be a switch problem? If so can it be replaced without pulling the whole ignition. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It sounds like a sticky solenoid to me. If you want to be sure, run a test light to the ignition switch terminal of the solenoid. If the light goes out when the key is not on start and the starter is stuck running, then it is the solenoid. If the light stays on, then it is the ignition switch. I am not sure what year your truck is, but on mine the key mechanism and the actual starter switch are seperate. It would not be too difficult to replace in my opinion.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Google is your friend. I have a dozen threads on this subject. others have also write ups on this subject.

Toyota routed solenoid power through the ignition switch vice using a relay.

you can hot wire the starter with a fused wire from the battery to a momentary switch down by the shifter, and back to the starter. push the button to roll the engine. There are other fixes out there including hot wiring the starter relay (stick shift) or replacing the igniotion switch in the column.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had the same problem on my 4runner for almost 2 years before finding out the problem. For me the solenoid on the starter was sticking so I had to replace it with a remaned one. After the starter swap mt y truck continued to just click so I decided to try this relay ; heres the link http://startercontacts.com/relay.htm . This is what I used and now my truck starts up every time, no more click.I found out my problem was that the old wiring from the starter switch to the starter was not sending enough amperage to turn the starter over. This relay replaces the old worn out connection with a relay that sends power directly from the battery to the starter.