Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Starter Staying Engaged.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Starter Staying Engaged.

The starter on my '88 4runner (22re 5spd) stays engaged after the engine fires from anywhere between 2 to 30 seconds, depending on how cold it is. It ONLY does it when its cold and I don't plug my truck in ( cold to me is below -10*F). Regardless of the temperature, if my truck was plugged in over night, it doesn't do it. Since it has been above 0 for the past few days, I haven't been anal about plugging my truck in. No problems with the starter staying engaged. Once it gets below -10*f and if I leave my truck unplugged for a while, maybe over 90 minutes or so, the starter will stay engaged for a few seconds. Also, when it stays engaged, it keeps turning even if I turn the key to off and take the key out, or if I give it a little gas. It also throws the CEL light, but no codes have shown up (yes, I am checking them correctly). As soon as the starter disengages, the CEL goes away. I'm sure thats just because the starter is lagging the engine. It runs and idles fine after this problem happens, but.....

On Friday, after my truck sat not plugged in for maybe 2 hours (shorter than I have left it before) the starter stayed engaged and it wouldn't even allow the engine to start correctly. It took a few tries and a little gas to get it to start and disengage the starter, but then it felt like it was running on 3 cylinders. I drove it about a mile, parked it, started it back up after about 45 minutes of sitting and it started fine but still idled crappy. Once I got home after the 55 miles trip from where I was at, it idled fine.

I have checked the wires going to the starter for any cracks, shorts, etc. to no avail. Could the spring that engages/disengages the starter gear to/from the flywheel be damaged? Something with the solenoid? I've had the solenoid and contacts go bad on starters before so I know what that can usually cause. To reiterate, it only does it when its cold..

Thanks for any and all help.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4crawler.com

Go there now, young Jedi...

seriously, Roger has some cheap/easy possible answers to your problem(s). Easy starter fixer-uppers that might get you on your way...

Qdude
Old 02-08-2009, 04:01 AM

When you say that it keeps turning, despite having turned the key to off position and removed, do you mean it is continually cranking the engine? If so, I would think you something further up the electrical like to look at like the starter relay. Here is a good link with some FSM pics of the circuit:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131...squeal-160522/

Seems to me that you could disconnect the 12V to the starter motor and try turning the ignition key to start position while looking at the voltage on the disconnected wire. When you turn the key to crank, you should see 12 to 14 V. When you release the key, you should see 0 V or open circuit. If you see 12 V continuously, you know that the starter relay is staying active and can go from there?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:18 PM

My starter is fine. It cranks every time, no problem, but like I said, it will stay engaged to the flywheel sometimes, when its cold.
Yes, when I say it stays engaged even after I turn the key and take it out, I mean exactly that. It keeps cranking the engine. Only for a few seconds.
Thanks for the links. That will help with some electrical testing.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:19 PM

This reminds me of my Corvette, came home one day and took the key out, starter kept trying to engage until it finally wore out my battery. Had to recharge the battery and then replaced the starter in my TINY garage at the time... I really don't miss that car sometimes.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:17 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
it doesn't sound like a starter problem, but as ahickman says, a starter wiring problem. If the starter is continuing to CRANK after the key is returned from the starter position, either the starter relay (in the box under the hood) is stuck closed for a few seconds, or the keyswitch is continuing to give the start signal to the relay.

When you turned the key all the way to off, and starter continued to crank, did the engine fire? If it did, then the ignition is ON in the off position, and the problem is in the switch. I'm guessing you observed it cranking, but the engine wasn't firing. (Which would throw a code 12, no ignition signal with START signal on.)

I'd start at the starter relay. The test might be as easy as putting your hand on the relay for a few seconds to warm it up before the key is turned.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:52 AM

My truck just did this for the first time today, right after I read this thread.

I'll be curious to hear what the problem is.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:55 PM

Heh....ya..my engine just crapped out so I don't think I'm going to be fixing his problem anytime soon...
Old 02-12-2009, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nathan751
My truck just did this for the first time today, right after I read this thread.

I'll be curious to hear what the problem is.
Mine too, for about 2 seconds. Maybe the gear just isn't being pulled back in fast enough?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:45 PM

Look at the solenoid, sounds like it will not let the armature disengage. Good Luck
Old 02-12-2009, 09:28 PM

mine too, here in Houston, when it is cold, it will do this, I cut the key off, turns the engine off, though, then try again, I hear it still turning, cut the key off, engine shuts off, usually after 3 times of this, it will turn over just fine, with no extra starter. It almost feels like something in the keylock, am I totally wrong in thinking this?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:37 AM

I had this same problem with my daughter's '97 Runner. I wish I had the time to do the rebuild on the starter but didn't. So down to the Auto Zone for a quick exchange and back on. Not a problem since. Good luck.