Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Starter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter Issues

I just replaced my starter (I actually wussed out and had a shop put in a part I aquired)...

It fixed the problem and my starting woes were over... Or were they?

It doesn't seem to start if it gets too hot. It always starts up fine in the beginning of the day, but if I've been in traffic and its hot outside, it doesn't work if I try to restart it right away after shutting it down.

Did the shop maybe take off a heat-sheild when they replaced the starter and forget to put it back on?

I'm at a loss. The new starter is a brand new Bosch piece.

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
please tell me you didnt buy it from autozone or kragen... if so, keep taking it back until you get a good one. or spend the extra cash and buy one from the stealership. but with the autozone/kragen ones, its lifetime warranty, so keep taking it back.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Look here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...arters-115363/
Old 09-27-2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
please tell me you didnt buy it from autozone or kragen... if so, keep taking it back until you get a good one. or spend the extra cash and buy one from the stealership. but with the autozone/kragen ones, its lifetime warranty, so keep taking it back.
No cheap knockoff parts here. I got a quality bosch part from a trusted source.

Originally Posted by mtnfreak
Reading through that provides more warning against buying cheap parts. At the end a write-up is referenced discussing the replacement of a relay wire in place of tired resistors. Since my issue is only on hot starts does that fix still seem promising?

Last edited by rcm3; 09-27-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:54 AM

Okay, im not sure about toyota's but most volkswagens will not start when warm due to the coolant temp sensor being broken, start fine when cold, but wheen warmed, it just cranks...
Old 09-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rcm3
Reading through that provides more warning against buying cheap parts. At the end a write-up is referenced discussing the replacement of a relay wire in place of tired resistors. Since my issue is only on hot starts does that fix still seem promising?
I had the hot start problem and tried 4Crawler's relay trick - haven't had a problem in 5 years.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by mtnfreak
I had the hot start problem and tried 4Crawler's relay trick - haven't had a problem in 5 years.
Did you use the "Painless Hot Shot" kit or build your own?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rcm3
Did you use the "Painless Hot Shot" kit or build your own?
Built my own. Got everything I needed at Radio Shack for less than $20.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:13 PM

My Runner loved to do this to me as well. Completely annoying if you ask me. Replaced 3 starters in less than a year(quality parts too!). I tried the wiring bypass trick ala. Radio shack parts as well. Haven't had an issue in months. Seems to me like there are enough of us with a ghost electrical starting issue to make it Toyota's problem to fix? But that will never happen. Good luck with your fix. Its no fun being left somewhere stranded by a truck you know runs...but wont start.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:45 PM

Bumping this old thread back up to get some questions answered about the 4crawler fix.

Here is the fix from the website:

Originally Posted by 4crawler
If you've gone through all the items above and the starter is still acting up, its time for a little bit of re-design. From the factory on certain years, the starter solenoid is operated directly off the ignition switch. Over time the switch contacts can wear, the wiring and connectors can age and increase in resistance, etc. A solution is to use a relay to power the solenoid. Use a standard 30A headlight relay, wire the relay coil to the ignition switch and then use the relay contact to power the solenoid. So now the ignition switch only had to supply a milli-amp current to operate the relay and the relay supplies the higher current required by the solenoid (which in turn supplies the 100s of amps needed by the starter motor itself).
So what do I need to buy besides a 30 Amp headlight relay from Radioshack?

Am I replacing a wire? Or just adding an extra one?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
you can jsut buy a Painless HotShot from Summit Racing for $25 and depending on where you live ahve it in 2-3 days standard ground. I did this and have not had a problem since (i went through 3 starters in 6 months).
Old 10-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

You're actually adding 2 or 3 wires and keeping the 1 original. Take the original that goes from the wiring harness to the starter - hook that to the activation terminal of the relay. Take one new wire and run it from the battery or an always hot fusible link (min 30amp) to one pass-through terminal of the relay. Take a second new wire and run it from the other pass-through terminal of the relay to where the original wire hooked into the starter. If you can ground the relay by bolting it directly to ground, do that. Otherwise add a third new wire from the ground terminal of the relay to a ground point on the truck.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:28 PM

Wow... I just realized I spelled the thread title wrong.

What's worse: spelling the thread title wrong or not noticing it for a month?

Anyway.. I installed the hot-shot kit (with some help) and the problem seems to be fixed. Good product and very straightforward!

As an installation note for searchers, I was able to mount the switchbox directly to the middle (top) of the firewall in the engine compartment and route the small purple wire (the one going to the ignition wire) through the firewall on the driver's side to keep from having to use any extra lengths of wire. To save you some more time, the black-white wire is the one to look for and its easily accessible if you remove the plastic covers on the steering column. Also, the purple wire replaces the black-white wire so you don't even need to splice the purple wire in, you can just cut the black-white wire and connect the purple one to the black-white end coming from the key.

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:18 AM

Unhappy Electrical Issue

My truck won't start. I don't know what the problem is. What it did before it died was at random times it wouldn't start up and I would either have to hold the key or keep turning it over for a certain amount of time until it started up. When I held the key smoke would come out near the steering wheel area. Finally when it starts though I would have to press on the gas some to get it going so it would actually crank over, but once it started up I would get a lot of white smoke out of the exhaust on the initial start but none after that....if anyone has any clue about what I should do please reply. My cousin has suggested just buying a whole new steering column...I don't know if I have the money for that would rather pick one up from a junk shop.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like your ignition switch is toast(ing). A new one can be bought from the dealer for around a $100 and isn't too hard to install. You don't need to remove the steering column, just the under cover.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:20 PM

i just got the painless hotshot relay for the starter, im a lil confused, i mounted it and the connectors that came with the kit dont match do i cut the smaller wire and reuse the old connector? http://tweetphoto.com/35444255