Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Starter issue - no clicking tho

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter issue - no clicking tho

Yesterday the 4Runner failed to start.

Insert key, buzzing, idiot lights... nothing. No click, nada.

Grab steel bar, tap solenoid a couple times... varoom!

In the prior week, turning the key had sometimes resulted in a variable-length pause before starting.

All the other posts I've found refer to the starter clicking but not firing.

According to this site, remans are bad. Sounds like steering boxes, carbs, etc. I've gotten.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

I don't have time to R&R the starter twice (once to explore what's wrong, 2nd time to fix it), or to have it be down for an extended period.

I'm assuming the plunger is hanging up

Some months ago, the starter was hanging up (staying on), which is probably the opposite problem of what I'm having now. It self-solved with no scary moments, so I spent my time working on other things.

Will ordring a single A-D kit be sufficient, or should I order 2 because 2 contacts might be the same?

Any other parts I should line up first?

Thanks for the advice in advance!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:23 PM

Heres one fix for one of my 22re truck that works
http://www.startercontacts.com/relay.htm
Old 11-12-2010, 05:01 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
um his problem isn't the relay, and our trucks well at least my 87 has a starter relay unlike what you just posted in the above link. If it were the relay he'd be getting fast clicks as though he had a bad battery. That site mentions "the dreaded Click Syndrome"

this is what my starter relay look like. Not sure what years have this one etc etc, but I believe at least the 87-88 have them.

The real fix might be just the starter contacts and plunger kit. In which I believe you might be able to order them from the dealership, another option is to order them from a local starter re-builder. 4crawler does not sell the plungers I don't think. He is on here as a member and is pretty active on here. I will try to pm him and see if he can come here to clarify and to see if he also sells the plungers.

I believe his kits come with contacts to do both sides not just one. Just be prepared to replace the plunger too as they like to pit out bad if the contacts have been bad for a while in which yours sounds like they were.

I have seen some people on here just grease up the plunger to get it to move freely. But why not just replace them too while you in there as they are a common wear item in these starters. The actual motor in there starters hardly ever wear out.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by edeslaur
Will ordring a single A-D kit be sufficient, or should I order 2 because 2 contacts might be the same?

Any other parts I should line up first?

Thanks for the advice in advance!
Those contacts should work, likely you'll only have one contact badly worn, but those should cover most of the cases:
-http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml#WhichContacts

And good idea to test the starter solenoid voltage to see if there is another cauae of the problem:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest

Last edited by 4Crawler; 11-12-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:21 AM

each $4.95 kit comes with both contacts right? You don't sell the plungers as well do you? Thanks 4Crawler.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
each $4.95 kit comes with both contacts right? You don't sell the plungers as well do you? Thanks 4Crawler.
Contacts are sold separately as there are 4 different type used in Denso starters:

My feeling is plungers are good for many contact changes. Since they are free to spin (and do) they make a new contact point with the copper contacts each time they start, so you have equal wear across all 360 degrees of the plunger ring, vs. the stationary contacts that are hit on the same point every time. Easy enough to clean up the plunger ring by chucking the end in a drill and spin it up while holding some emery cloth to the copper ring. I have the original plunger in my '85 with nearly 300k miles and I've cleaned it once along with replacing contacts once about 100K miles ago.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:37 AM

Yeah I did my plunger when I did mine, it was so pitted it wasn't even funny, didn't feel comfortable using it, anyway so these kits only come with 1 contact to do 1 side and you would have to order 2 of the same kit to do both contacts in the starter correct?

well 2 A's or 2 D's if you have one of those styles or 1 B and 1 C if you have those styles. Correct?
Old 11-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

You can order contacts separately, or there is an all-in-one kit that has everything you are likely to need:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...#WhichContacts
- "Or order one of each (A, B, C & D) for US$19.50, standard postage included"

But lots of options listed on the page above, including know contacts/starter combinations. And as noted, you typically only need to replace one contact as it seems that just one contact will start to arc and wear before the other. Once that starts it wears away rapidly leaving the opposite contact in good shape.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:33 AM

Ok, so what I'm hearing is the fact that I get no click, and I have to tap the starter to get it to start still has some folks thinking it's the contacts? I'm not convinced. Not saying I don't NEED them (check in the mail later today for the combo kit, hoping that's the right one for my '87 22RTE - tell me if that's wrong), just don't see how this could be the problem I'm facing now because I don't get any click when I turn the key.

One vote for the relay not doing its thing, though I don't recall touching it maybe me whacking the starter somehow made it happy through referential vibrations.

Since whacking the starter worked, seems mostl likely the plunger may be hanging up. Better get on it, I need the truck this weekend.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:40 AM

did you bother seeing if you have voltage to the small starter wire? If you do then it's not the relay.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
did you bother seeing if you have voltage to the small starter wire? If you do then it's not the relay.
Yes, for sure check the voltage at the solenoid wire (under load):
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest

If it is not strong enough to pull the plunger all the way in, it won't click but tapping on it may shake it loose to where it'll pull in the rest of the way.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Blackulua
Heres one fix for one of my 22re truck that works
http://www.startercontacts.com/relay.htm
Ive done the starter contact change and later my truck would just click and I woukld have kickstart the truck.I saw this Larrys starter relay and installation was easy and so far the truck is starting up everytime.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:58 AM

heres the plunger kit and contact on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/start...Q5fAccessories
Old 11-23-2010, 03:48 PM

Kit ordered. It self-solved after I whacked it a few times, and now it's getting some turbo work done, so it's a good time to order these.

Thank you very much for your input, everyone.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:00 PM

Belated update... And since I hate threads with no outcomes...

4Crawler's kit worked a treat. I'm glad I ordered the full kit as that saved me getting the wrong contacts.

FWIW, with an air ratchet, you can have the starter in your hands in about 6 minutes. With a regular one... it'll take a while.

1. remove the tire
2. remove the access panel (4 10mm bolts)
3. remove the starter... whirrr...zipppp... (2 bolts, can't remember the size).

Last edited by edeslaur; 03-12-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:31 PM

Received 118 Likes on 88 Posts
I had exactly the described problem for months (okay, maybe more than a year) with my '87 4Runner (non-turbo), and the fix was installation of a new starter.

If someone does replace their starter, know that there are different versions shipped for different climates. The local fair weather California shop had to special order the original one for my truck that was delivered to the brisk winters of Iowa. I believe that it was a more powerful starter, better able to crank in cold weather.